Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

It may be technically possible for buyers of the new Mac Pro to replace their graphics cards, according to a report from the French site Mac4Ever. [Google Translate]

The site claims the GPU on the Mac Pro is placed on an independent daughter card with a proprietary connection, which would make sense as it would make warranty-repairs of broken GPUs significantly easier. There is no indication if or when third-party graphics cards could be released for the new Mac Pro, but the new device is scheduled for release in December of this year.

macprogpu.jpg
From the Google Translation of Mac4Ever's post:
According to our information, it is possible to change the graphics card in this machine. In fact, the GPU is placed on a daughter card, it is possible to remove and thus replace. As you might expect, Apple uses a proprietary connector (as is the case for SSD array present on the rest of the range). But nothing prevents, on paper, a manufacturer decides to offer compatible models on the market
A similar system is used in the MacBook Air's SSD flash storage. In 2010, Other World Computing released aftermarket SSD upgrades for the MacBook Air, allowing larger SSD options than Apple's 256GB maximum -- for a significant price. The MacBook Air uses a proprietary SSD connector and board, but OWC was able to design replacement storage options for the computer.

Apple did specify that RAM in the new Mac Pro would be user replaceable, but said nothing about the graphics cards. It's likely that the graphics cards, if it's even possible to replace them, would not be an Apple-approved user replaceable part and could affect the product's warranty, much like the aftermarket SSD replacement in the MacBook Air.

Article Link: Graphics Cards in New Mac Pro May Be User Replaceable

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Doubt it. There's likely a special deal between apple and AMD/nvidia that prevents them from selling on the open market or risk losing their contract.

This isn't just about a firmware flash anymore.

Last edited:

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Yes, finally a user replaceable part that matters! :p

Yeah, the last Pro was the same, but how long did it take for a 3rd party to release an "updated" graphics card....? So what if it's replaceable if it takes 4 years to get a new card for the Pro that was out 3 years ago for a PC??

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Here is my prediction:

Apple hasn't upgraded the Mac Mini on Tuesday. With them ramping up this huge production chain in the US I would guess they will use the Mac Pro chassis for the upcoming Mac Mini refresh. It will be like the xMac everybody was dreaming about. Standard CPUs but discrete graphic cards (read: not the mobile chips found on the iMac).

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
The price of the graphic cards will probably be very high anyways, so buying new ones later might not be worth it. It may be better to just buy a new Mac Pro. Let's hope not!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
If true, this will be a reason alone to pick this up. I'm hoping more is user replaceable to make it truly upgradable and PRO.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
I'm sure it'll be just as ridiculously priced as current Apple Mac Pro cards or even more so now that there's a proprietary connector to pay for on top of that EEPROM that would cost a <$1 anywhere else.

gmcalpin

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2008
Somerville, MA
Doubt it. There's likely a special deal between apple and nvidia that prevents them from selling on the open market or risk losing their contract.

NVIDIA? These are AMD GPUs. Why would NVIDIA sign an agreement with Apple to not supply GPUs for a device that they are not supplying GPUs for?

If it's possible to replace it, it will happen sooner or later.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
What about Thunderbolt graphics cards? Would that be possible? That would mean that any computer with Thunderbolt could use the graphics card, regardless of platform, and it would make a lot more sense than manufacturing a card specifically for just ONE computer.

puelocesar

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
It would be cool to have a "gamer" card for the new Mac Pro. I can't find a powerful, beautiful and silent machine for PC gaming :/

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Doubt it. There's likely a special deal between apple and nvidia that prevents them from selling on the open market or risk losing their contract.

Well, AMD makes the chips. So either they sell the chips to Apple alone, or they sell the chips to Apple and card makers. I don't see how anyone loses by having replacements on the market. Unless Apple wants to be the sole upgraded of the part, I guess.

And I thought these were AMD FirePro chips, not nVidia.

ElderBrE

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2004
Here is my prediction:

Apple hasn't upgraded the Mac Mini on Tuesday. With them ramping up this huge production chain in the US I would guess they will use the Mac Pro chassis for the upcoming Mac Mini refresh. It will be like the xMac everybody was dreaming about. Standard CPUs but discrete graphic cards (read: not the mobile chips found on the iMac).

What is "mini" about the cMP?

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I was pretty sure the PCIe storage is also user replaceable. In fact, if you look at the Apple website it would seem that that they've left open the possibility of adding a second PCIe storage device attached to the second graphics card. I'm even wondering if the option of having 1TB of storage is actually 2 x 512GB modules? If that's the case, it might make the crazy up charge worth it so in the future you could have the option of replacing 2 rather than one when larger sizes come 'round and prices fall.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
i dont understand Apple's approach....

i understand why they want to shut down non-pro machines, or even the macbook 'pro' for that matter

but a workstation 'tower' that's locked down?? doesnt make any sense to me

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If they do ever exist, they will likely cost a fortune, especially if you can only get them through Apple.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
very surprising that a small French website like Mac4ever could have exclusive information nobody had so far... :rolleyes:

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Apple and "user-upgradeable" are quickly becoming antonyms.

Wouldn't surprise me if they extend their philosophy to their "Pro" desktop. They already did it to their "pro" laptop after all.

They made a big deal of expansion being external in the keynote and advertising, so I take that as them saying that the tinkerer's Mac is dead. Sigh. But, we can always, always hope. ;)

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Well, AMD makes the chips. So either they sell the chips to Apple alone, or they sell the chips to Apple and card makers. I don't see how anyone loses by having replacements on the market. Unless Apple wants to be the sole upgraded of the part, I guess.

And I thought these were AMD FirePro chips, not nVidia.

Apple either loses out on a lost mac pro sale or the sale of an upgrade card (which has its own hefty margin built-in). It was easy to do before because it was only about the firmware, not the card form factor and connector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.