Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Graphite or Blue?

• graphite

Votes: 31 29.0%
  • blue

Votes: 76 71.0%

• Total voters

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I find it disappointing that OS X only comes with two "appearance types". Graphite or Blue seems lacking. Does anyone here actually use Graphite?

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
Well, I usually use Blue, but upon reading this thread I decided to try out Graphite for a while, becuase I have Uno installed, and I thought it might go along with the whole simplistic thing. I'll probably switch back to Blue soon though, as Graphite is a little boring. What other sorts of appearance types would you like to see? I think orange might look ok, but other than that, I can't really think of any color that would look good. Or are you talking more about giving built-in OS options similar to the themes Shapeshifter offers?

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I regret saying this, but Windows has a lot better "themes". They have themes such as Olive, Silver, Classic, and the default one. I think Apple could learn from Windows here. Maybe different menu-bar colours, dock colours, and maybe window tints could be added.

theorem7

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, I know what you mean, but I think it's an effort by Apple to graphically unify the OS with the hardware, and as most of the hardware is the same glossy white or brushed metal as the GUI, that's why they chose to have only those themes. Whereas on Windows, you're delivering to all sorts of different hardware, so an attempt to unify the OS with the hardware would be futile, so they can give more themes.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I try graphite every now and then but I've used blue for so long, it seems a bit weird having everything so subtle. I think if I hadn't become accustomed to blue, I'd definitely have picked graphite. I'd love to see other colour schemes though. :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I use Blue, but sometimes switch to graphite. Graphite fits Pro machines nicely, while blue looks good on "home" models :)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
G99 said:
I regret saying this, but Windows has a lot better "themes". They have themes such as Olive, Silver, Classic, and the default one. I think Apple could learn from Windows here. Maybe different menu-bar colours, dock colours, and maybe window tints could be added.

the problem with classic is it looks way too 'old'.

the problem with the others is they look like someone's vomited on them.

if you wanna change, there are thousands of themes available, just have a little look round the fishnet. most of them are a quick install too.

discoforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Vermont, USA
eXan said:
I use Blue, but sometimes switch to graphite. Graphite fits Pro machines nicely, while blue looks good on "home" models :)

Funny: you made me realize that I've set my iMac at work to graphite and powerbook at home to blue. So my consumer computer at work uses eXan's "pro" theme, while my pro computer at home uses the "home" theme...

Time to call my analyst. :)

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Blue for the win. It gives my mac personallity.

Blue tells me a Computer user under the age of 27 is operating the machine.

Graphite tells me an old man is at the helm.

;)

khammack

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2004
Portland, OR
I choose either blue or graphite based on my current wallpaper.

I think I prefer graphite; I'm more of a minimalist.

Currently, it's blue.

-kev

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I don't get how you can not miss this:
Picture 1.png
It's just...so....Apple!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
You know, I've tried using graphite, and I've got no problem with it except for the fact that Apple won't make all applications use it when it's set. iTunes uses blue highlights and Safari has blue widgets. If Apple offers graphite as a theme, then they should make it work across the OS and programs they develop, like Safari and iTunes.

Are there any other Apple programs that do this?

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I'd prefer to use the blue as it really does look nice...but I think the use of the "Graphite" colours goes well with a 12" PB. (One of my college tutors has this, and it does look quite sexy :D ).

(Doesn't have a Mac yet :( )

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Even though I'm annoyed with the way iTunes handles the graphite color option, I'm forcing myself to get used to it. I like how graphite looks on my iBook. The gray plastic looks smooth with the graphite.

L

Lau

mkrishnan said:
I've always used blue, but if I could have hot pink.... ;)

I know - I'd really like an orangey-red apple and spotlight icon. Cool blue just ain't me. ;)

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
You can go get ShapeShifter, install a theme you like then use ThemePark or something like that to export the theme into something ThemeChanger can use so you can have different themes and embed them.... Sounds good about now, i need a change.

EDIT: ThemePark v.3.0.1 got wise and disabled that function. So you can't export them w/out buying it first.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 325
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.