Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I love Saving Private Ryan. Another I can watch over and over again. The opening scene is the finest movie scene ever filmed.

And the ending is one of the worst. Way to miss the point of your own movie and treat your audience like a bunch of morons.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Lord of the Rings - Return of the King. Just an epic movie. I still get chills every time the Rohirrim charge towards Gondor.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
Please clarify, as I wonder how much of a moron I am. :p

No offense. I meant that the director THINKS we are morons, not that we are. The final scene, when old Ryan is with his family, crying and saying, Tell Me I Lived A Good Life, as he is surrounded by his wife, kids and grandkids..... That's the director both missing the point of his own movie and treating us like idiots. The point of the movie was not that Ryan is saved to have a good life and do something good for society. The point (in another my audience are idiots moment) is spelled out for us by Tom Hanks when one of the soldiers asks why they are saving this guy. What's so special about him? The answer is nothing. They are doing it because they were told to do so. Period. It didn't matter if Ryan returned home and cured cancer or if he was hit by a bus and killed two weeks later. The point of the movie is that soldiers follow orders even if they don't understand them and if that is Tom Hank's ticket home to his wife, than that is what he is going to do. And the reason why its treating us like morons is that we do not have be shown Ryan growing up and having a family and a great life to appreciate what they did for him. We don't have to be spoon fed this emotional scene which both, as I said, missed the point of the movie while beating us over the head with See! He's a good guy and had a great life!!!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No offense. I meant that the director THINKS we are morons, not that we are. The final scene, when old Ryan is with his family, crying and saying, Tell Me I Lived A Good Life, as he is surrounded by his wife, kids and grandkids..... That's the director both missing the point of his own movie and treating us like idiots. The point of the movie was not that Ryan is saved to have a good life and do something good for society. The point (in another my audience are idiots moment) is spelled out for us by Tom Hanks when one of the soldiers asks why they are saving this guy. What's so special about him? The answer is nothing. They are doing it because they were told to do so. Period. It didn't matter if Ryan returned home and cured cancer or if he was hit by a bus and killed two weeks later. The point of the movie is that soldiers follow orders even if they don't understand them and if that is Tom Hank's ticket home to his wife, than that is what he is going to do. And the reason why its treating us like morons is that we do not have be shown Ryan growing up and having a family and a great life to appreciate what they did for him. We don't have to be spoon fed this emotional scene which both, as I said, missed the point of the movie while beating us over the head with See! He's a good guy and had a great life!!!

I think you are reading it in a particular way, but there are others. The Tom Hanks character told him to "earn this", in other words, you are getting to go home due to a regulation, while we died to find you. Ryan feels survivor guilt and hopes he earned his reprieve from the war.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I think you are reading it in a particular way, but there are others. The Tom Hanks character told him to "earn this", in other words, you are getting to go home due to a regulation, while we died to find you. Ryan feels survivor guilt and hopes he earned his reprieve from the war.

And I think its unnecessary to show that ending. Give the audience some credit. You don't have to show him decades later to appreciate the sacrifice those other guys made.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Saving Private Ryan has one of the best first reels and one of the worst endings. Spielberg just can't help himself.

It is my unpopular opinion that Spielberg makes shallow, superficial, cliché, obvious, mile-wide-and-an-inch-deep movies. Oh, I forgot maudlin, treacly and ,at times, unbearably cute!

His characters are flat, cardboard cut outs. The direction is uninspired, and his scripts are nothing much. He relies on cheap tricks to wring emotion from the audience, he doesn't earn our emotional response...he just pushes emotional buttons.

And, no, I haven't seen "Schindler's List". I won't subject myself to Spielberg's interpretation of such an intensely important topic...so I apologize if it was, somehow, a total exception to his usual fare and a actually good film.

Just one man's opinion...:)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And I think its unnecessary to show that ending. Give the audience some credit. You don't have to show him decades later to appreciate the sacrifice those other guys made.

It's a narrative, creative choice as a character put into this position might feel that way including a profound sense of loss seeing all of those young people who did not have the opportunity to live out their lives while he did. I would not slam SS for it, but it's your right. :)

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
It is my unpopular opinion that Spielberg makes shallow, superficial, cliché, obvious, mile-wide-and-an-inch-deep movies. Oh, I forgot maudlin, treacly and ,at times, unbearably cute!

His characters are flat, cardboard cut outs. The direction is uninspired, and his scripts are nothing much. He relies on cheap tricks to wring emotion from the audience, he doesn't earn our emotional response...he just pushes emotional buttons.

And, no, I haven't seen "Schindler's List". I won't subject myself to Spielberg's interpretation of such an intensely important topic...so I apologize if it was, somehow, a total exception to his usual fare and a actually good film.

I agree 100%. I was once made to go see A.I. I still have nightmares.

Tho the opening scene from saving private ryan is bloody good!

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB

I agree too. It's just that his movies are very well made. Excellent schmaltz ;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I agree too. It's just that his movies are very well made. Excellent schmaltz ;)

If you have all the money in the world to throw up (pun intended!) on the screen, any mediocre hack can make a visually good looking film. But, then, it's just good looking garbage.;)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
If you haven't seen Shindlers List don't rate Speilberg just using his mega-hit made for anybody corny movies. He can be a very good director,producer, and writer.

Again, you are right that I have no right to judge "Schindler's List" as I have not seen it. I have, however, seen most all of his other works, (mega-hits and "lesser" works) and I still stand behind my opinion posted above....emphasizing it is nothing more than that.:D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Again, you are right that I have no right to judge "Schindler's List" as I have not seen it. I have, however, seen most all of his other works, (mega-hits and "lesser" works) and I still stand behind my opinion posted above....emphasizing it is nothing more than that.:D

You're an Anti-Dentite. Admit it !!

/Seinfeld reference.

:p

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If you have all the money in the world to throw up (pun intended!) on the screen, any mediocre hack can make a visually good looking film. But, then, it's just good looking garbage.;)

Agreed. The last thing I want to do is defend Spielberg :eek: I just think the battle scenes in Saving Private Ryan were transcendent, especially the opening storming of the beach head. It's rare that such great action and special effects (which I'm no great fan of) in a war movie do not actually glorify war.

Spielberg's movies are a mess. They have only a superficial sense of humor or irony. Children are smarter than adults. Too much sentimentality. In real life people are rarely aware of the significance of events that are immediately occurring. You're right, he insults his audience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.