Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hayduke60

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
I thank me lucky stars I don't get migraines. My worst pain was getting a metal sliver jammed into the pupil of my left eye. In the short time it was in there, it rusted. The doc had to use a grinder to remove the rust. That felt really wild. While the pain meds wearing off was akin to someone peeling my kneecaps off with pliers.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I forgot my greatest pain, surprisingly.

I got my middle finger slammed really really hard at a locker at school. On the finger nail. Man, that hurt so badly. I almost passed out (probably more because I saw the injury, however I usually have a pretty high tolerance for blood). It was dripping blood all the way down the hall to the nurse. It was tingling like putting ice on something would, only much worse. I got a xray, and the top part of the bone was broken. Just a sliver, but still. So I went to the Bone and Joint Center (that's in Albany) and got a splint. I wore it for a few weeks (BTW, the guy that put it on me looked quite a bit like Ashton Kutcher). It was like a golf club. But (un)fortunately it was on my left hand, and I'm right-handed. I couldn't participate in PE for about a month, but we were doing basketball at the time, so I didn't really care.

My brother has had quite a bit of pain, mostly due to me. I've, accidentally, of course, dislocated his elbow twice and broken some growth plates in an elbow.

My neighbor one time was running down the hill in our yard by the shed with a toy push mower, and hit a wiry stick and the mower stopped, and she flipped over it. Her femur was broken.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Cracked Ribs

Give me Kidney Stones over the Cracked Ribs I had...and yes, i have had Kidney Stones....decent sized ones

Yeah, I've been there. 3 on the left side, 4 on the right.

I'm not sure how I'd rate it using my patented migraine™ scale. I'd say that the pain didn't compare and a migraine is worse, but cracked ribs are incredibly debilitating and have moments of sharp pain — like if you sneeze. I'd choose migraines over cracked ribs because of the debilitation, but I don't think I'd say they're more painful.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Cluster headaches/Severe Migraines. It depends on which neurologist you talk to. Those bitches hurt like nothing else. The first time I got one, I actually started hitting myself on my head with a phone, because it distracted me from the pain caused by the cluster headache. I'm serious.

My migraines hurt more then the time I got hit it the nuts with a hockey stick at full force. I couldn't walk properly for a week because of the swelling.

I wouldn't wish a migraine on my worst enemy.

Haven't had one for months now :knocks on wood:. I attribute that to acupuncture.

Don

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Had a kid dive right into the side of my knee during football practice. Folded me over him and my leg was still pretty much standing up. Didn't break anything, but it took a couple months before my leg felt back to normal.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Well, I have a pretty decent tolerance for pain but here we go.

- I was shot once, but it was superficial and I actually didn't notice it until I got home later due to the adrenaline during the incident.
- I was stabbed by a friend. He had one of those little 6inch sword letter openers and said "I wonder how sharp this is" and hit me in the arm with it ... It was sharp.
- Broke my nose at a Thrice show once, but stayed for the show. It hurt more when I broke it back the next day cause I didn't want a crooked nose.
- I fell off the top of a 20foot telephone pole once. Thankfully I hit my head on the pole before I hit the ground and wasn't conscious for the fall ... I didn't feel any pain, and happened to land well enough to not have any serious injuries.

But my actual worse pain ever would have to be when I tore my ACL on a rescue. I was running out of a house with a kid that wasn't breathing when my foot got tangled on a loose rug and got twisted all crazy. It sounded horrible, but I didn't feel pain ... at first. Then I tried to continue my stride and took a step and it was as if I had no leg, I went straight to the ground but luckily landed on my back with the kid on my chest. The actual pain was holding the kid and hobbling down two flights of stairs to the ambulance. Then I had to take care of the kid all the way to the hospital before I could get any treatment. He ended up being fine, but I ended up with a crock workers compensation doctor that said I had bad sprain. I went through two sessions of physical therapy which were pretty painful then took the weightlifting test to go back to work cause I thought the therapy was making things worse. After a year of fighting ( and still working in a very physical environment ) I finally got the test to see that my ACL was torn and I got surgery. The surgery wasn't that bad ... I broke all the doctors rules and was basically rehabbed before I even started physical therapy ... I felt so bad for the people that did follow the doctors instructions and had to suffer through PT, I was great.

But i'll never forget that pain of walking down those stair carrying that kid.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Cluster headaches/Severe Migraines. It depends on which neurologist you talk to. ...

They are very different, I'm surprised any neurologist would have a varying opinion on which is which.

Migraines are truly horrible but they are horrible in very different ways to cluster headaches, and if you can believe it, MUCH less painful. Like I said, I comfort the hell of my migraines with "at least it's not a cluster headache" which is probably the saddest form of comfort ever.

For anyone morbidly curious, there's lots of info on the web but ClusterHeadache.com is a dedicated and excellent site on the topic.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Hhhhmmm not sure what to say to this one it is either:
Cut (well not cut but the brake on the handlebar went into my ear and tore it) half my ear off (back on now however) when I fell off a bike.

Or

Having my knee cap almost removed fully (rather not go into details), still to this day have a limp.

Both hurt like hell.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
Maybe not as bad as some on this thread, but here's mine...

I had bruised ribs and a bruised lung from a fall down the stairs, and that was painful. But I never experienced real pain until I sneezed with those bruised ribs/lungs. I literally fell to the floor in agony.

My second is when I realized (the hard way) that I am allergic to poison ivy/sumac. It got rather uncomfortable when it spread down my throat and onto the nether regions. My face was so swollen it hurt to blink.

Qoxiivi

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2005
London, UK
The worst pain I've ever felt is when I seriously went over on my ankle about 12 years ago. I was an office junior at the time and carrying loads of post down some stairs. I rather stupidly jumped down about four steps and landed on the side of my left ankle. My hands are sweating just thinking about it.

I tore loads of ligaments and such and briefly fainted from the pain - something which had never happened before (or since) even when I've broken bones. It REALLY hurt.

MacLady98

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
I would have to say it was when I got a car door closed on my hand. I didn't realize my hand was in the way (I was 7) and the person slammed the door so hard. Luckily, nothing was broken. Just thinking about it makes my hand hurt.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
Riding my bike on a very very wet day, braked slightly too hard for something and my backside slide off the saddle and crown jewels met handlebar stem with suprising force, black and blue for two days and walking akin to someone small white and weedy would be doing after being seen to in the jail showers ;)

mbpnewbie

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2009
I left a big duece the other day and gave myself hemroids.. It feels like a dagger is being shoved up my arse every time I move...
I also got hit with a basball bat in the face... it was a full swing.
I fell off my bike 10+ years ago, and had to get stitches in my chin... I rode home and left a blood trail on the street
I cut my middle finger to the bone when I was about 11-12... I still have a scar

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Broke my ankle falling down stairs. Decided to test it out by walking on it. SEVERE PAIN!!! 8 years later and it still gives me trouble :( Having my pinkie finger kicked right back and broken in a football game also hurt a lot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.