Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Genius took one look and ordered me a new phone for the green blob. Now I'm wondering if I should just keep this one. The problems I'm having seem purely software and I don't want to end up wig something worse.

That's what I'm affraid of. I called them and they said to take it into the store. My closest store is an hour away! I asked if they could ship me one and he said there is a $29.99 charge plus I have to put the cost of another iPhone on a credit card until I send mine back. ****** customer service if you ask me. :rolleyes:

ChazDaSpaz

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2008
I don't have an iPhone 4 yet so I can't show you my results but does this green blob show in just the back camera or is the front one affected by this as well?

jefftroll

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
DFW
I noticed the same thing while taking pictures of class notes under CFL lighting. At my work its the same thing under CFL. In natural lighting, try taking a picture of a white wall and I bet you do not get the green blob. By the way, I noticed this immediately on my 3gs as well.

bluez3

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
Mine is doing this as well, and not just in fluorescent light(second pic), pictures under incandescent light get the green blob too and just look off compared to my 3g pics(first pic)
I think this might be the last straw for me since I have been dealing with the signal issue as well. If i decide to return it i dont need an appointment right? There dont seem to be any available till next week
IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

make sure you get your TPS report in before the end of the day.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Why would you have to pay $30 to have a faulty device replaced under warranty?

Yeah it's dumb. I called AT&T and they want $30 for the overnight shipping and to put a hold on my credit card for $699 until I ship them back my current phone. What a joke!

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Yeah it's dumb. I called AT&T and they want $30 for the overnight shipping and to put a hold on my credit card for $699 until I ship them back my current phone. What a joke!

Even though *you* don't like it, it's not something unique to Apple. That's normal for a lot of different industries. They're not going to ship out expensive hardware to you without a credit hold...

ambiv

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
I have both problems. Any chance this is a software problem that will be fixed? It's really the only problem I have with the phone and I'd rather wait for a fix if it won't be too long.

11cglk1.jpg

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I have both problems. Any chance this is a software problem that will be fixed? It's really the only problem I have with the phone and I'd rather wait for a fix if it won't be too long.

This. I have the green blob. Just dont feel like returning my phone yet.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Every single iphone 4 I have tried -- 11 so far (8 demo models and 3 that were purchased) -- have the green blob effect. Also, unless I'm hallucinating, it's the back and the front cameras.

Either it's a software fail or we have a lot of bad sensors out there.

My fiancé's phone had another problem with the front camera: the white balance was extremely warm, so much so that normal skin tones would look orange -- like oompa loompas! This was a definite problem w/ the camera sensor (pictures would be saved that way too so it wasn't a screen issue). Genius bar swapped it out no problem. They wouldn't do anything for the green blob effect on mine however so hopefully it is something that can be remedied in software.

Stankonia

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2009
Denver, CO

I hope it is just a software problem. I just drove 3 hours to replace my first i4 because of a bad battery, I don't want to make the drive again.

If I know it is something that affects everyone and that it might be taken care of in a software update, I can live with it at least.

FireSokar

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
This appears to be a CFL issue, as I have nothing but CFL in my house, however at the taste of chicago my pictures were fine.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
My phone does the same thing. HOWEVER my friend's phone does not........might be a hardware thing.....

No, it's not. Different lighting when you looked at his phone is likely why youdidn't notice it.

I have the same thing - all outdoor pictures I took were OK, as well as indoor locations with incandescent or natural lighting. It looks like any fluorescent lighting (including non-CFL bulbs) will create the green spot.

Yep, I just tried it in my bathroom and saw it. Shows up really good in my family room with CFL bulbs.

Every single iphone 4 I have tried -- 11 so far (8 demo models and 3 that were purchased) -- have the green blob effect. Also, unless I'm hallucinating, it's the back and the front cameras.

Either it's a software fail or we have a lot of bad sensors out there.

Don't go blaming it on a software or hardware issue. It's the lighting. If it's not in the same spot every time or changes based on lighting then it's the sensor interpreting the light as it thinks. Sure, software could be calibrated but other people have said that other cell phones have the same issue.

This appears to be a CFL issue, as I have nothing but CFL in my house, however at the taste of chicago my pictures were fine.

This.

lcdbot27

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2007
The green blob is definitely caused by the light from CFL bulbs, although there is a seperate problem where some iPhone 4's do not correctly white balance and make the pictures overly yellow in CFL lighting.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Even though *you* don't like it, it's not something unique to Apple. That's normal for a lot of different industries. They're not going to ship out expensive hardware to you without a credit hold...

I don't care who the company is. Its bad customer service.

FireSokar

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I don't care who the company is. Its bad customer service.

You seem like a bad customer, dont want to leave your house to get your non existent hardware problem fixed so you opt for the mail in option that costs you money because they advance a phone to you.... News flash its your bulbs not your phone!

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
You seem like a bad customer, dont want to leave your house to get your non existent hardware problem fixed so you opt for the mail in option that costs you money because they advance a phone to you.... News flash its your bulbs not your phone!

No it's bad customer service. Period! Sorry don't see it your way.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010

Wait my non existent problem? I just said I had a problem right? LOL! I wouldn't want to exchange my phone if I didn't have a problem now would I? No I wouldn't because I probably wouldn't have a problem then right? Don't be dumb.

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
Good Pun:)

I have it too but only in the light mentioned. I just brought my 3rd iphone 4 home today (first 2 had yellow spots) and I was about to throw it through the wall when I read this and checked it out for myself. Then I remembered I took a pic in the apple store of a lil ole ladies shirt and 1 pic of the St. Paul skyline and noticed nothing.

I normally dont need to take pics of white walls in this sort of light. When I use flash it doesn't exist, leaning towards proof it is in fact the light. I'm not worried about this one guys.

dakotaiphone

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
My Story

I noticed that my pictures under CFLs and regular fluorescent lights have the green blob. So I took it to the Apple store for a replacement and they ordered on for me and the replacement had the issue as well. The genius was getting ready to go grab another phone when he got the store managers iPhone4 and did the white paper test. The managers iPhone4 had the same green blob issue. The Genius was very nice and offered me a refund of the product on the spot, to go get another iPhone4 and test it, or to just wait it out for a software update. I tent to think along the lines of the post above me that while at first it seems like a hardware problem, it is another bug that will be fixed when the next iOS4.x.x release comes out. Just my $0.02

vegastime

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Virginia
I have this issue, also. I have not removed the protective cover yet, and was hoping that was causing the problem. Guess this is not the case. No such issue with any of my previous cell phones.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

That is standard and reasonable. Getting an answer you don't like isn't poor customer service. Poor customer service is getting the wrong answer, no answer, disconnected, order never ships, any call to Sprint, etc.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I just tested my old Droid and it does the same thing under CFL lighting green spot in the middle. It's probably common.

2010-07-04041521.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.