Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin yesterday announced the WatchStand, which the company calls the first entry into its "new line of products for Apple Watch."

The stand is set to be a nightly solution for more easily charging the Apple Watch. Like other Griffin products, the stand itself doesn't include its own charging cable, but users will need to snake in their own MagSafe charger through the stand during the initial set-up of the device.

gc41536-watchstand-cable-management_1-800x313.jpg
"The introduction of the Apple Watch ushers in what is bound to be the next generation of wearable technology," said Mark Rowan, President of Griffin Technology. "Griffin has long been at the forefront of developing solutions for Apple's newest devices and we're continuing that legacy with our WatchStand charging dock for Apple Watch."
Griffin notes that the stand is compatible with all versions of the Apple Watch and provides an "easy viewing angle" when charging. The pedestal will also accommodate both a vertical and horizontal orientation, allowing personal preference to each user laying their Watch on the stand to charge.

Although there is no in-house storage for an iPhone cable, the WatchStand does provide a small dock underneath the Watch pedestal to store a user's iPhone, providing a neat and organized solution to charging and displaying both devices.

Unfortunately, the Griffin WatchStand won't be available on the Apple Watch's April 24 launch date, but has been given a more general "Summer 2015" release window. The company did note, however, that the stand will retail for $29.99 when it launches.

Article Link: Griffin Announces Charging 'WatchStand' for Apple Watch

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
i like the overall setup but the plastic looks kinda cheap, it will be interesting to see all the charging stands that come out

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I was hoping Apple would release a type of "Watch Dock" similar to that of the old iPhone Dock.

freediverx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2006
Is it so hard for companies like Griffin to hire competent designers? What a ****ing eyesore.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I've got one of these http://www.smartwatchdock.net/ for my Pebble. It puts it at the perfect height/angle to glance over stuff whilst it sits on my desk. I highly recommend that form, should they (or someone else) make a dock like that.

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
This is very convenient, and its only $30. Not bad at all. I can definitely use this on my night stand at night, and have both devices accessible to me.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't see what is inconvenient about the charging cable. Just stick it to the back and boom.

thebeans

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
So you have to use your MagSafe cable. This contains no electronics of any kind. It is just a piece of plastic. I would say it is overpriced by about 3X.

johncarync

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2005
Cary, NC
Charge me more!

If I'm going to pay $450 for a watch band, my watch charger should cost at LEAST $200! Make it out of stainless steel and charge me more!

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Total eyesore. Make it 1/4 the height. And make the part that holds the watch C shaped like the watch holders at department stores. The magnet holds it up.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
i like the concept of a charging station where I can plug in all my i devices. The implementation here is not what I am looking for, but I hope that one will come out soon after the watch is out.

A good implementation (in addition to being made out of better materials), would have docs for an iphone, ipad, and the watch. either one power cable or cable management should be part of the solution.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
The real missed opportunity and baffling design choice is that once on the dock, your watch is sideways and so it can't act as a clock on your nightstand. Wtf. Just needed an arm that extended right or left slightly from the top.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
First thought was "Yuck", but I think we should see some innovative variations in the near future - hopefully in this price range.

So ... still thinking "yuck" for now.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I don't see what is inconvenient about the charging cable. Just stick it to the back and boom.

It's not inconvenient just messy. So much electronic clutter and wire snakes crawling on the dresser. It's nice to have something to give a proper "home" to everything. I'm not loving the design of this one, but like the concept. There will be others I'll buy when I see one that can hold an iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch.

7thson

macrumors demi-god
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Ideally, this would have it's own power supply, an integrated lightning port for an iPhone and a usb port on the bottom to plug the watch cable into, storing the extra cord in the hollow column. It would drive the price up, but as it is now it's just a plastic stand.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
The real missed opportunity and baffling design choice is that once on the dock, your watch is sideways and so it can't act as a clock on your nightstand. Wtf. Just needed an arm that extended right or left slightly from the top.

Exactly what occurred to me when I first saw it. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it tbh. Terrible design for this reason alone.

coolcom2

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Exactly what occurred to me when I first saw it. I'm surprised no-one else has mentioned it tbh. Terrible design for this reason alone.

Guys, RTFA. You probably don't even have to scroll to read it on the Macrumors summary...it's on the 3rd paragraph.

"Griffin notes that the stand is compatible with all versions of the Apple Watch and provides an "easy viewing angle" when charging. The pedestal will also accommodate both a vertical and horizontal orientation"

Also confirmed on the Griffin Press release...

"WatchStand securely displays and charges Apple Watch vertically or horizontally for the perfect view."

enblue

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Germany
Guys, we presented our new docking station line for the Apple Watch yesterday, outside the Yerba Center. Watch out for out Kickstarter launch this coming Friday. It will provide answers...

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006

no one else mentioned it because they read the article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.