Griffin Elevator Vs. mStand

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by justinm, Dec 5, 2008.

1. justinm macrumors member

2. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

The Elevator is collapsible, and thus portable. That mStand sure does look nice, though. :D

3. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

why would you use one of these? i dont get it

4. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use the Elevator. Never used the mStand.

And dlamin517, many different purposes from improve ventilation to better clearance, to having a computer that's the same height as the display.

6. dlamin517 macrumors 6502

haha i think im gonna get the mstand. that thing is extremely sexy:p

7. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I have the elevator.
    It does the job great, but the mstand is better for a couple of reasons. The angle is steeper, so you can type easier if oyu need to reach up to your keyboard on your MBP or trackpad. Also, the design looks nicer.

Pros regarding the elevator are it is more affordable, and it is collapsable.

Having said that, they both do the same job and do it well, but if youre looking for something more sturdy get the mstand.

Also, with regards to the comment about why you would want these, there are a few reasons. It improves ventilation, it allows you to use your MBP as a monitor and sit at eye level on your desk, so you can hook up an external mouse and keyboard (thats what I do) and it makes it so you dont ruin you posture and hurt your back.

8. stiphone macrumors regular

mStand. I have one and i love it tremendously.

9. yoppie macrumors 6502a

I have the Elevator. I like knowing I can take it anywhere.

10. justinm thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys! I think I am going with Elevator for its portability.

11. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Have been using the Elevator for a few years and love it. The mStand looks over-designed if you ask me. Furthermore, I suffer from cervical and the Elevator has alleviated the problem while using the laptop.

12. nfbetancur macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how a single piece of metal is over designed compared to the elevator... In any case, I have an mStand i bought off of Buy.com with a $30 off with their Visa promotion and really like it. How often will you actually be traveling with your stand? I can't say anything about the Elevator but I can say the mStand is extremely sturdy and matches aluminum Macbook (Pros) beautifully. My housemate who could care less about the stuff I buy even commented that it looked really nice.

13. Beau10 macrumors 6502a

Eh? Clearly the mStand is designed to integrate with an ACD. If you run a dual screen setup with an ACD it's no brainer.

14. MacAlpha macrumors regular

Another vote for the mStand. It is extremely sturdy, holds the book at the perfect level for comfortable viewing and if you care, matches with the style of the MBP perfectly. I have no use for portability as I am a minimalist when I travel with a computer (just the computer and the plug).

In the interest of disclosure, I have not tried the Elevator.

15. Glenny2lappies macrumors 6502

Elevators

I have both elevators; the older perspex one and the newer metal one. Both are great to lift the MBP off the desk and use a keyboard which means you don't cook your hands.

Couple of points about the new elevator:
    1. It's not really portable; the box is a couple of inches high and roughly keyboard shaped. Agreed, it's a damn site more portable than the old perspex version!
    2. I'm not sure about the soft non-slip coating; when the lid's closed, my 17" MBP fell off the stand and I found it on the desk after coming back from lunch. It doesn't bare thinking about if it had slipped off the desk:-(
    Now I'm aware of problem 2, I'm much more careful in repositioning the lappie before leaving it unattended. Incidentally it's fine when the lid's open, as the weight is shifted backwards.

But the bottom line is would I buy another one. Yes I would. But I hope that Griffin change the material they use (or reduce the slope).

16. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

Rather than start a new thread I'll ask my question relating to the elevator and mstand here.

As far as looks and design appeal goes the mStand is the winner for me.
    But how do they compare in cooling the laptop.
    On one hand the elevator exposes the bottom on your laptop and allows air to flow under.
    But the mStands aluminum will absorb the heat and dissipate it like I heat-sink I gather.

What I'd really like to know isn't so much a debate of which is better, but are the differences bit in cooling large? I like the mStand more but won't get it, if the Griffin Elevator is much better at cooling. If the difference is only a little bit then I'll get the mStand.

Thanks in advance.

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

I love my Mstand, however I can't believe they designed the cable routing hole to NOT allow you to fit a DVI cable through it...That was dumb.

18. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

one of the issues I have with my Elevator is that my MBP continues to slide down and sometimes I fear that MBP is going to fall off. Anther issue I have with the Elevator is the leg. Because it's removeable it can sometimes come out from it's place when I adjust the stand.

Found mStand at costco.com for 49.99 shipped so I bought it. Hopefully the height will match nicely with my LED ACD.

19. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

Does can anyone comment specifically on the heat reduction of both of these products?

20. MacAlpha macrumors regular

I have the mStand and can comment on it, don't know about the elevator as I have never used it (though I have seen it in person in a store). The mStand as far as I can tell doesn't affect the ability of the laptop to disapate heat at all. As a test, I put my new unibody MBP on the stand loaded up WoW at full graphics and wondered around towns. The fans eventually started to rev up When I lifted the book off the mStand there really wasn't any heat transfer to the mStand. I assume that this is because, as a general rule, heat rises, and so it always seems to me that the top (just above the F4 key) gets hot, but the bottom never gets too hot. In short, I don't see any difference from when my MBP is on the mStand and when it isn't.

21. playalistic macrumors regular

I have the mStand and a new MBP. It doesn't sit flush to the stand if that makes sense. There is a gap of a few mm which must help airflow to the underside of the machine. Also there is a hole in the part of the stand that the machine sits on, again this must help airflow but I can't say Ihave any scientific evidence ;)

22. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

elevator seems nice if your using it with external displays and kb/mouse

But i use one of these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998052

cools it, elevates it nicely to type on...still am able to use keyboard/mouse and use both my monitors.

there are some smaller version and a black version

23. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I have both mStand and the Elevator now so I will try to post some pics comparing both. As far as heat, I noticed that Elevator might do a better job because there is less surface area where it contacts the MBP. As far as the angle, I like the way mStand props up my MBP vs. Elevator. I get a better angle with mStand. As far as looks, mStamds hands down.

24. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

The trick is to put a bottle of cold water to the bottom of the mStand so that it will cool all the mStand's aluminum. That way it will absorb all the heat caused by the macbook faster... and if you want to speed the process, simply a fans or use an air conditioner... As you can see, the mStand has a hole on the top... where your macbook sit.

Personally, i prefer the cold bottle method because it's quite... no power supply needed... no fan noises... simply letting nature do the work.