Griffin Reveal Etch Review with pics (iphone 4 free case program)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hasek3139, Aug 10, 2010.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

hey everyone

i just got my new griffin etch today! i threw it on and took a few pics with a friends iphone 4

sorry for the dust on the phone, i was at a friends and its not a very dust free house.

the case is light it doesn't add much weight to the phone. the outer part is a hard rubber. it feels great and protects the phone very well (already dropped it on a wood floor and no scuffs or anything on the case.) The back feels very nice and is real smooth.The design is very sleek looking, it is a nice rigged pattern. the big plus for the back is that it doesn't effect the flash at all. and is very sturdy and solid. The power button and volume controls are also covered by the rubber, and their functionality is not impaired.

Another great perk is that the edges , both on the front and back are raised. so the screen and the back wont lay flush to anything flat, and will prevent scratches. It also feels very nice on your hands. THe phone is also very snug in the case, so there is a slim chance the phone can fall out. Also it doesn't really attract dust between the phone and case. With the original griffin reveal there was dust and other particles trapped between the phone and case, which made it look awful.

overall i think its a great case, probably the best ive ever tried for the iphone 4, and i have tried about 10-12 brand name cases. but thats just my opinion.

Also on a side note, i am using a power support crystal film. it looks great on the retina display, doesn't hamper it at all like the PS anti glare. it also feels like the actual ip4 screen.

Attached Files:

2. The Destroyer macrumors member

Looks great, thanks for the review. That's great to hear the case doesn't interfere with the flash. If only my free case would come quicker!

Also, does the case pull up your PS front screen at all? That was the only other concern I had with this case.

3. yankintx macrumors 6502

This case will cause a screen save to lift up on the edges. I had the griffin reveal, and it did the same thing. My wife has this case and her screen saver is lifting. Time to get rid of it.

4. Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

luv this case

Just got it yesterday. It fits great and feels absolutely tremendous. I love the hard back with the carbon look and feel. It feels so solid.

Very happy with this case now that it's on. It gives some protection and is tight. Had the Best Skins Ever but removed the front. Will probably try that power support crystal at some point.

I have BSE on the back and part of the sides. Removed some to get it a better fit with the case. Not needed now anyway so no big deal.

The lip on the back and front is nice and is 100% what I like. :p

5. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey the case doesnt pull up on my PS screen

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

cool! I chose this as my free case... to bad it doesn't ship until October 1st

7. mzd macrumors 6502a

looks pretty nice, thanks for the review & pics. i was worried about the "bumper" part not fitting that tightly, based on other reviews i'd read, but it looks like yours is nice and snug.

8. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I chose this case as my "freebie" and also got my bumper credit too. However, that being said, I made a mistake. The case feels really cheap and adds a level of bulk that I don't feel comfortable with. Even the Boxwave Crystal feels better in the hand.

Personally I should have went with one of the clear cases. Oh well.

9. sportster macrumors 6502

Thanks, very nice!

I just have to wait for mine to show up now. It says it will ship September 29!

10. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

This is my free case from apple as well and love it!

Does anyone know what dock this will fit into? I know it won't fit into the iP4 dock, but will it fit into the universal dock or other 3rd party docks?

11. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

i think this one offered the best protection and design. the clear cases, from my experience always had dust and stuff stuck between the case and phone and it shows up and looks awful. with this case it fits very snug and attracts very little dust.

12. atlbuc macrumors member

I received this case about a week ago and it is a very nice and sleek case except that the rubber part going around the sides of the phone is soft and easily snags or peels if it comes in contact with something. The lip that covers the edges of the screen is easily pulled back especially on the bottom where the Home button is. So if you put this phone in your pocket the rubber pulls back and stretches and doesn't protect as it should.. I am going to pick up a iFrogz Luxe Lean case from Best Buy as I do not like the rubber around the phone.

13. vega07 macrumors 65816

received mine today. I really like it. offers drop protection, sleek design, not too much added weight or size. I disagree with the poster who says it feels cheap. the case feels very solid and well-built. a lot of thought went into the design, I think.

I do wish the back didn't have raised edges. I think this may be the reason for the other poster's uncomfort. sucks that it doesn't fit in my car holder.

14. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Just be prepared for that rubber to become lose and saggy over time. I know two people with the Reveal which uses the same rubber and it looks pretty bad now.

15. waltercln macrumors regular

this case it horrendous to say the least, and that's being nice. It is nothing more than a dust magnet, and not only does it attract dust on the screen, but it gets through the rubber and all inside the case. I took the case off with a wtf look (O__O) couldn't believe all that dust and crap got inside the case. The rubber edges just plain suck, the edges along with the certain edge above the dock connector are just plain flimsy. To add more hate on this case the bottom part where the speakers reside are not even aligned correctly. Griffen has some balls charging 30 for this case, luckly i got it for free from apple. Stay away from this case, nothing really good about it at all.

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

IMO Griffin makes some of the worst cases ever. They usually end up doing more harm than good to the phone.

17. atlbuc macrumors member

This

18. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

whoa pretty harsh idk i have had it on for a few days now and see NO dust at all. not even on my screen. the rubber edges feel real nice, alot better then the original reveal. if its getting dusty maybe there is a lot of dust where you are? my bottom is aligned pretty well. even if the speakers aren't aligned, whats the problem? you can still hear the sound lol its not like your going to show off your speakers to anyone. but i guess everyone has an opinon

19. vega07 macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wow, completely disagree with the bad review above. I would definitely recommend this case.

20. dway macrumors newbie

I've had mine for about a week now and just took it off for the first time to check for dust - didn't find any. The case seems to fit pretty tight except for the little strip that goes across the edge right above the dock port. It's very thin and does have a tendency to stretch a little. So far I like it.

21. atlbuc macrumors member

Trust me do not buy or even order through the free case program. The rubber around this phone is horrible and does not fit snug enough. I do not get the dust like someone else mention probably because I'm not in a dusty environment but all the other negative points about this case are true. And yes the rubber is so loose around the screen that dust or any other particles does get down into the case.

22. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

i bite the bullet and ordered mine....thanks for the pics and review...cheers.

23. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

I guess this is a love it or hate it kind of case.

I hate it.

I'm looking for someone to trade cases with me. I made a post in the Marketplace.

24. waltercln macrumors regular

it just looks tacky and ugly. just isn't well made at all, i expected much more from a case listed at 30 bucks. Can't complain since i didn't pay but i just wish i would have picked a better case that i will actually use. It gets dust anywhere i go, all my other cases don't do that. then it keeps dust on the corners and leaves them there. just annoying overall, my i4 doesn't deserve this. :cool:

25. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't think u should tellpeople not to buy it. Obviously many ppl do like it and don't have problems . I don't see why everyone Hates the rubber sides. I think it fits very snug and feels awesome