Griffin Unveils 'Survivor Play' Case for Apple TV Siri Remote

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Griffin today debuted its first accessory for the Apple TV, introducing a new case designed for the Siri Remote. The Survivor Play for Siri Remote aims to add protection to keep it safe from scratches and dings when dropped and it adds a non-slip grip to make it easier to hold when playing motion-based games that require a lot of movement.

The Survivor Play, which is made of a soft, textured silicone, fits around the back of the Siri Remote and is similar to the wide variety Wii Remote skins that make the Nintendo controller easier to hold during gameplay. According to Griffin, the Survivor Play was designed primarily with gameplay in mind, adding extra thick grips to make it more comfortable to hold.
Now that Apple TV has added gaming, your Siri Remote will be working harder than ever. Survivor Play was designed with gaming in mind. Its easy-to grip shape surrounds the remote's back and edges with impact-absorbing silicone. So just in case things get rowdy while you're playing Beat Sports, your Siri Remote stays safe.
The case also adds cushioning and protection for the edges and the corners of the Siri Remote, the places most likely to be damaged should the remote be dropped or flung across the room during a heated gameplay session. Because it wraps around the back, the Survivor Play leaves the Siri Remote buttons, touchscreen, microphones, and Lightning port easily accessible.

When it launches later this fall, the Griffin Survivor Play for the Siri Remote will be priced at $19.99.

Article Link: Griffin Unveils 'Survivor Play' Case for Apple TV Siri Remote

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
20 bucks for a piece of silicone covering such a small remote is hilarious. I can get TPU shells for my Wii U gamepad for less. Licensed products even, not a knockoff.

Glassed Silver:mac
Yeah, this is a bit ridiculous. Not everything made by Apple needs a protective case put on it... particularly when it covers the back, which will spend 90% of its time unseen, sitting on a coffee table.

Reactions: slu

innominato5090

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
Yeah, this is a bit ridiculous. Not everything made by Apple needs a protective case put on it... particularly when it covers the back, which will spend 90% of its time unseen, sitting on a coffee table.
I'd buy to increase the grip rather than for protection. That remote is tiny, and presumably very slippery.

That being said, the price is downright ridiculous.

Supacon

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I'm not buying an Apple TV until I can get a battery case and a screen protector for the remote. (And I don't care that it doesn't actually have a display, I just want to feel that it's protected anyways!)

jermy4

macrumors demi-god
Jun 27, 2010
Ok, so now I wonder ... is the apple tv remote going to break if it's dropped on a hard surface? Is the touch part made of glass???

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Oh I personally would probably put on a case to be honest, but not at that price.

Glassed Silver:mac

Reactions: rbrian

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I think it's more about heft and comfort, with protection as an added benefit. Gameplay with credit-card like controllers is awkward. And Griffin's 20 bucks is not unreasonable for a "small piece of silicone". With development and marketing costs that amount is reasonable and not out of line, unless compared to the cheap knock-off stuff that'll last you a couple of months.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
awesome I am sure my thumb will love bumping into that plastic edge that overlaps the side of the touchpad. With a touchpad that small I am sure most swipes will go off the side of the pad generally

Reactions: Glassed Silver

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009
on a side note if an apple pencil is $99 then you may as well just buy a new apple TV if you break your remote because I am sure it will cost almost as much as the whole apple TV to replace

Jordan9345

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2015
Will new Apple TV still let you use remote iOS app. I have my current Apple TV integrated with my control4 so can use it throughout my house. Having to use new Apple remote will not allow me to do this easily as I would have to carry it around.

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013

Griffin today debuted its first accessory for the Apple TV, introducing a new case designed for the Siri Remote. The Survivor Play for Siri Remote aims to add protection to keep it safe from scratches and dings when dropped and it adds a non-slip grip to make it easier to hold when playing motion-based games that require a lot of movement.

The Survivor Play, which is made of a soft, textured silicone, fits around the back of the Siri Remote and is similar to the wide variety Wii Remote skins that make the Nintendo controller easier to hold during gameplay. According to Griffin, the Survivor Play was designed primarily with gameplay in mind, adding extra thick grips to make it more comfortable to hold.The case also adds cushioning and protection for the edges and the corners of the Siri Remote, the places most likely to be damaged should the remote be dropped or flung across the room during a heated gameplay session. Because it wraps around the back, the Survivor Play leaves the Siri Remote buttons, touchscreen, microphones, and Lightning port easily accessible.

When it launches later this fall, the Griffin Survivor Play for the Siri Remote will be priced at $19.99.

Article Link: Griffin Unveils 'Survivor Play' Case for Apple TV Siri Remote
Stupid. It's a remote.

jkrarup

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Just wait...there will be competitors and knock-offs, and knock-offs of the knock-offs. You'll be able to get one for a couple of bucks on eBay.

Reactions: quietstormSD
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.