GriP for iPhone, an alternative to popup notifications.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jmann, May 30, 2009.

1. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I just ran across this great alternative to pop-up in-your-face push notifications that has great potential and many possible uses. It's called GriP, it offers a growl-like notification for the iPhone. Currently it only supports notification for new emails and high CPU usage. It uses all apple approved APIs, and script can easily be written to give it support for incoming SMS and push notifications. It is still in it's early stages, but it has worked flawlessly for push email. I am definitely going to use this as a replacement for pop-up notifications, it is much better than having a disruptive box pop up that disrupts work flow. Growl users will love this. As of right now it is for jailbroken phones only. What do you think about it?

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

What do you mean "As of right now it is for jailbroken phones only" ? That will NEVER be available as an official application unless Apple implements it themselves.

It looks very nice though. I'd much rather something like that for notifications. I'm assuming it relies on Mobile Substrate? If that's the case it won't work with 3.0 yet unfortunately :(

3. jmann thread starter macrumors 604

jmann

Right now it is Mobile Substrate extension of the springboard. They claim it only uses APIs approved by Apple. Whether that will make a difference or not I'm not sure. But I have it anyway regardless of it is "approved". :)

4. coolant113 macrumors 6502

coolant113

wow i really like that idea alot!!... that is making me wanna jailbreak my iphone again:apple::apple:

5. Espo macrumors 6502

I have downloaded and set up this app but I never see it at work. Maybe I'm missing something?

6. jmann thread starter macrumors 604

jmann

Right now it is still in beta, so it only supports notification for email/cpu usage. There will be sms/push notification support coming soon. I hope they tie it in with quickreply. To make it a seamless experience.

7. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

Make sure you reboot the phone and that should make it work.

8. rez07 macrumors member

9. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I am testing this on my jailbroken 3G and I must say I love it. This is the ONLY reason I would ever jailbreak my 3G S.

10. Cupra macrumors regular

whats the source so i can add this via cydia? or is it only ssh upload (im at work so cant ssh here)

11. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

GriP + 3.0 Stacks (check out the demo video, it's sick) makes me want to jailbreak my 3GS. Being able to Sling over 3G would be very welcome as well. Once the 3GS jailbreak is released I'd give it a try, just to see how performance is with these things installed.

12. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

You need to use ssh.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

OK, so I followed these steps...

The beta versions can be found from this site's download page. You will obtain a .deb file, which can be installed on your device with the following steps:

Create an SSH session to your device and login as root. You can follow this page for instruction: http://cydia.saurik.com/openssh.html
    Upload the .deb file to /var/root/.
    Start a command prompt. In there, type cd ~ ; dpkg -i «filename.deb», where you have to replace «filename.deb» with the file name of the uploaded file (without the guillemets).
    If it prompts Mobile Substrate is not installed, make sure you have installed it. You can install it with the command apt-get install mobilesubstrate.
    Respring your device. If you don't what is respring, simply type killall SpringBoard.

Used file name hk.kennytm.grip-0.1-11n.deb

Got an error in Terminal (dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege), Who is a superuser ??

[​IMG]

Found this info, gonna try it... type "su" and hit return when you first launch terminal then it will ask for a password, type "alpine" then tap return and then try to install the deb.file, u should have success

OK, using su and password, seemed to complete commands.

OK, it installed, found settings off to configure it.

14. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Eeeek I really, really want that! But I get nervous with SSH'ing stuff. I wish I didn't have to do that. I'm jailbroken, but that still makes me nervous :D

15. foob macrumors 6502

foob

I hate ssh too but I usually have other ways to do things. Try this..

Open Cydia and install wget which is a command line program that downloads things and mobileterminal which is a terminal app. Open the terminal and type:

wget http://networkpx.googlecode.com/files/hk.kennytm.grip-0.1-11n.deb
    su (then type the root password which is alpine if you havent changed it)
    dpkg -i

respring the phone and you're done

16. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Hey thanks!! :D

17. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Man, too bad I did it the hard way. Well, at least I know for next time. Thanks !

18. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I want to expand on this, in case you're a dummy like me lol. After you open terminal, type:

wget http://networkpx.googlecode.com/files/hk.kennytm.grip-0.1-11n.deb <HIT RETURN BUTTON>

su <HIT RETURN BUTTON>

alpine <HIT RETURN BUTTON>

dpkg -i hk.kennytm.grip-0.1-11n.deb <HIT RETURN BUTTON>

Exit Terminal. Respring or restart your iphone. Grip should be in your Iphone settings at the bottom. Thanks again to foob, this was a great tip! :)

19. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

20. rez07 macrumors member

Beta will be over soon, and then people will find GriP on big boss source on cydia

Nevertheless, there are people hosting it: http://apt.hackers.nl/ source

Don´t know if it´s updated though

21. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

I did and I love it! This is a great app, just what I have been looking for :D And now I know a new trick so I won't have to SSH anything! :)

22. foob macrumors 6502

foob

You're not very ungrateful. I wonder if you're even a real ninja?

Thank for clarifying, especially the dpkg line, I left out the filename. Another tip, you can use the asterisk as a wildcard in filenames so instead of typing:

dpkg -i hk.kennytm.grip-0.1-11n.deb

I'm lazy and usually type:
    dpkg -i hk*deb

It will install anything that starts with hk and ends with deb. You probably aren't going to have any other deb files, but if you ever use the terminal for something else, just make sure you use enough letters that it gets the right file.

23. rez07 macrumors member

Doing it from the desktop, using something like Winscp, is far easier than using mobile terminal on the iphone...

24. Cupra macrumors regular

Cydia wont let me add this source... "did not find repository"

25. rez07 macrumors member

yeah, i tested it and got same error...but if you search, people point that adress...it´s weird

anyway, i prefer to install the deb, like the developer says...when it´s finished, it will be on Cydia for non beta-testers