Grocery lists

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aniseedvan, May 30, 2015.

1. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Anyone got any feedback about using grocery list apps?
    I see a couple from a quick googling, but my favourite current phone app, ourgroceries, may well not get a watch app in the near future.

Appreciate I could use Evernote or omnifocus but I've found OurGroceries categories plus I can share with the android-phone husband to be really useful.

This is a use case that would really help for me, given the number of times I've either dropped my phone in the supermarket or had lucky catches...

2. iJess85 macrumors newbie

Woolworths here in Australia have a really handy app. You can write your shopping list in the app on your iphone (or even scan items barcodes) and then it comes up in an app on your watch - which is listed by isle number. Handy handy!! I used it on Thursday when I did my shopping. As you pick up an item on the list you just press it on your watch and it crosses it off.

3. Aniseedvan, May 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2015

Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I really wish our supermarkets did that here in the UK, although they change the aisle numbers round so much it would probably be a full time job to keep it up to date!
    I will certainly email waitrose though. Woolworths has just been resurrected here after it's sad demise into receivership a few years ago...

4. speedyyellow macrumors member

I just installed an app called Bring!
    I've not used it in anger yet but it looks good from a quick play.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I use Clear.

It's the only list app I've found to be useable on the watch.

I just want a list of things to tick off, I don't want any other bells and whistles.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've used a couple, Shopper and Grocery IQ. Neither seems to be all that great. I mean you can create lists, but it looks like someone tried to set it up for the lowest common denominator with all the extra descriptions and stuff.

I want a simple all that has some way that stores could plug in. Basically I would select some local stores as favorites, put some items into the list and it searches stores' databases for whether they carry the product. I think get a list of prices and coupons or other deals. It would be a chore to develop, which is why I think Apple could give it a good shot with the relationships it has with big companies.

7. skaro macrumors newbie

I just use Wunderlist - seems to do the job for basic lists.

8. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

I had tried todoist and it seemed ok, but I keep coming back to just using the built in Notes app. If I was to switch to something else, it definitely needs to be in the cloud, as I want to update it on the phone and my macs.

9. iWantEverything macrumors newbie

I use "Clear" because it is easy to creat your list on the phone and then view it on the watch whilst shopping. As you select an item you delete it from the list on your watch. Simple and easy.

10. andrewpturko macrumors regular

andrewpturko

Wow, this app looks fantastic. Didn't know a collaborative grocery list was a thing. Looking forward to how many items we'll no longer miss buying in one trip!

11. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

Anyone try Evernote? I use it a lot on my phone so I'm wondering if it works well on the watch?

12. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a big fan of Evernote but I've never used it for shopping lists.
    I've downloaded some that have been suggested here, I'm leaning more towards the grocery oriented ones as I am a heavy user of OmniFocus for my usual tasks.
    I just find given the repetitive nature of what you are buying that a grocery app is better (as well as categorisation), although I am wondering whether my newfound love of some drafts4 actions might not send me back to OF with a prepopulated list.
    Bring looks great but the icons look a bit unnecessary, when you've got a 2 week shop for a family of four to tackle! Still, downloaded that as well...

13. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

+1 for Clear. Used it for the first time last week and was great.

14. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Looking at the desktop version in the app store, there's lots of complaints from people from April & May 2015 of the sync between devices being broken.

That's kinda key - can't have the grocery list not being complete when you get to the store.

15. jomo25 macrumors regular

I know this won't help the OP. But for those looking for simple and free (or minimal cost) solution for Grocery (or other ToDo) lists on Watch:

My wife and I just use a couple Reminders lists (just iCloud/basic reminders) and share them between us. We've done this on the iPhone for years.

Since Apple doesn't have a stock Reminders app (shocking omission), we found the app OneList, which has a Watch app to view and check off items on a Reminders list on the Watch. For free, you get to view one list on the Watch. Via and IAP, you can unlock to view all your Reminders lists on the Watch.

16. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Umm....

On iPhone:
    thumb_IMG_0524_1024.jpg

On Mac:
    Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 10.33.51 AM.png

Or, am I missing something? :)

And it supports family sharing. :)

17. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

18. coffeemadmanUK macrumors 6502a

coffeemadmanUK

I think he means on the Watch - this being the Watch forum.

Reminders is not on the Watch unless it's a set reminder (i.e. "Remind me at 10am to water my plants").

What we want is the ability to bring up your grocery list like you do on the iPhone to tick off on your Watch.

19. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Not the answer you are looking for, but after a week I went back to using my iPhone for my shopping list (Evernote).

I think I used Wunderlist for my lone Watch shopping trip, I found it to be cumbersome & clunky (constantly having to wake the screen, for example) and the small screen size means only being able to see 3-4 items on screen at once. As anyone who regularly uses a shopping list might agree, you normally want to see the entire list simultaneously so you don't miss an item or section and end up having to backtrack for an item further down the list.

NOTE: this isn't an anti-Watch post, I love the Apple Watch! I just don't find it useful (yet) for grocery/shopping lists, and believe me this was one real-life use that I was hoping it would be great for!

20. Aniseedvan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, I suspect for my big bi-weekly shop, I'll revert back to the phone as well. I've just downloaded the Bring! Watch app and the icons are way too big! Idealist looks to be more practical in that regard..

Note to supermarkets, some sort of generic phone holders on shopping trolleys would be handy - like those car suction mounts...

21. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

Yikes - perhaps not the best idea for me - I can't keep a permanent eye on my trolley AND the shelves / products. This shopper and iPhone would be very easily parted by an opportunist!

22. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I've used Bring! and Evernote for grocery lists.

My primary grocery app on iPhone is Grocery Gadget, but I haven't heard of a Watch version coming.

23. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

The better answer would have been "Apple doesn't have the reminders app on the watch yet".

24. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

Artofilm

I use the Reminders app on the iPhone and then sync it over to Todoist on the Apple Watch using IFTTT, seems to work pretty well.

25. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

THANKS!

Clear is great! Been looking for something like that. Being able to have different title or headings for you reminders is great.