Group FaceTime Still Partly Broken After Security Update, Apple Aware

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 18, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A few weeks ago, Apple's Group FaceTime was discovered to have a major security flaw which potentially allowed users to listen in on others without their permission. The flaw was quickly publicized forcing Apple to shut down FaceTime servers temporarily while a patch was being created. A week later, Apple released iOS 12.1.4 which addressed the security issue and re-enabled Group FaceTime for those users.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, Group FaceTime even under iOS 12.1.4 hasn't quite been restored to its former functionality. A MacRumors forum thread started the day after 12.1.4's release revealed users who found themselves unable to add more users to a FaceTime call. As it turns out, it appears that users are no longer able to add a person to a one-on-one FaceTime call. The "Add Person" button remains greyed out and inactive in this situation. The only way to add another person to a Group FaceTime call at this time is to start the call with at least two other people. This slight distinction appears to be the source of confusion for many users.

MacRumors forum user Bob-K persisted in his support calls with Apple, and was finally told that the "Add Person" button not working in that situation was a known issue and that they didn't know when it would be fixed.

Apple Support on Twitter also appears to be aware of this restriction:

We were able to reproduce this issue, but it appears this workaround isn't entirely reliable as one user reported being unable to consistently add people even during a group call. A search of Twitter shows a number of users who believe that Group FaceTime remains disabled, though some users may simply be unaware of the iOS 12.1.4 update, or may be confused by the greyed "Add Person" button issue.

Apple is actively working on iOS 12.2 Beta which has not yet seen the addition of the patch for Group FaceTime, but we'd expect them to address the ongoing bugs in a later 12.2 beta release.

Article Link: Group FaceTime Still Partly Broken After Security Update, Apple Aware

2. dickie001x macrumors member

dickie001x

3. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

You'd think with that week or close to they could've fixed it entirely...

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Does anyone even use this? Probably not, so therefore I deem it irrelevant.

5. genovelle macrumors 6502a

Maybe they need more help. It sounds like you have some technical skills that they need. I’m sure they would be happy to bring you on board.

6. apolloa macrumors G4

Well I do hope by 'broken' they don't mean someone can spy on you still.. kinda a sad joke with Apple on this one, they had long enough to test it properly and reading comments they seems to have been warned of it's bugs. I'd advise them to just remove it entirely until they get it working properly, but Apple doesn't do that these days..

7. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

No I have no knowledge in this.. but they had a fair bit of time

8. btimlake macrumors newbie

That's the price people are paying for an overblown "security" flaw: a set of circumstances so rare they would be almost impossible to achieve deliberately and, once known, can easily be defeated. Now other people are paying the price by not being able to use a feature they rely on. I don't blame Apple for CYA, but I do blame the hew and cry and clutching of pearls by Twitter commenters and the tech press. Save the outrage for something important, or it becomes even more meaningless.

9. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Apple's way of doing things lately is to release a bug fix patch to fix a bug fix patch.

10. YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

And finally drop the feature / hardware...

11. stevan w macrumors newbie

I found a couple bugs in FaceTime despite update. I won’t say exactly how they work though since I’ve sent in the bug reports.

One allows a way to auto answer FaceTime call

Another permits the FaceTime call to constantly dial and never hang up.

12. fivenotrump macrumors 6502

Yes, we do

13. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

So, you don’t know what the problem is, nor how to solve it but you estimate that it can be done in a week? Have you considered a career in Sales and Marketing.

14. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502a

When Apple comes out with a new update to fix this issue, Tim will tell you guys Group Facetime will be the best ever.

15. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

Based on nothing but speculation?

Love when people say they have “no knowledge” but then choose to drop knowledge like they have it.

16. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

why people need face time? Its limited to iPhone users anyway,and there are better apps that does the same securely and more reliably + they do much more.such as WhatsApp.

17. NMBob macrumors 6502a

"It Just works the way WE want it to."

18. w5jck macrumors regular

w5jck

Perhaps this is a good opportunity for all the young brats to learn about true socializing--do it in person and not through emojies over the internet! :rolleyes:

19. Scooz macrumors 6502

You really didn’t get the problem, did you?

A feature, enabled on most iOS devices, enabled a caller to spy on the users audio and when they denied the call enabled video instead. Easily defeated? The user, yes. The problem? Only by disabling Facetime altogether.

I blame people like you for playing down things to a degree that made Apple continue its ignorant security and quality approach for the last few years.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2019 ---
    Hm, maybe they need more help with their HR. It seems you have skills they need.

I’m sure your easy-going attitude towards their technical problems is a plus.

20. needsomecoffee macrumors regular

needsomecoffee

Time to own up to the apparent fact that Apple has lost QA control on its code base.

21. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors regular

Emanuel Rodriguez

Software development takes how long it takes. There's no way for us to know how difficult a problem this was to solve, and it may have come with some regression risks. Bottom-line: we can't judge, unless we're on their development team.

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Ah, the I don't use it and therefore it's irrelevant line.;) (yes, I know the word "anyone" was used, but my family uses group f/t)
    That is a fallacy. Just read some of the comments in the thread.
    Really. This post is not grounded in any reality. Apple has been on a tear since IOS 10, fixing (some of them major, zero day) vulnerabilities. If you are not happy with the way Apple is handling things, then there are many alternative vendors.

But let's not believe anybody has the ultimate say over what opinion someone else should hold.

23. repoman016 macrumors member

repoman016

Because Facetime doesnt require you to download third party apps that ppl over 50 dont know how to use

24. Zenithal macrumors 604

I thought Whatsapp was a texting app?