Group FaceTime Will Remain Permanently Disabled on iOS 12.1.3 and Earlier

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2019.

1. techfreak23 macrumors member

techfreak23

You would think that with how long they had this in beta they would have caught this... smdh

2. tpham5919 macrumors regular

Heh... Of course I can't . There no such thing as 100% adoption rate. But if one argues that most ppl don't use facetime then one should provide some official stats to back it up. Personally I dont use facetime on my iPad but I don't claim that most other don't either. That's a quite a leap I would think.

3. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

Lol every time apple talks about facetime related features on ads or keynote, the audience and those browsing through web would constantly be reminded about the bug.

4. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Way to make this a welcoming community where people can get their questions answered.

5. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

This is honestly worse than the launch of Apple Maps! Yet no one is being fired over this! Scott Forstall’s firing was a coup plain and simple! I like Craig but maybe macOS and iOS is just too much to handle for one person.

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

A bug somewhere and a rollout of a whole new feature that might not be all that good overall (for a variety of reasons) are fairly different things.

7. PickUrPoison, Feb 1, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019

PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Well it’s been live on hundreds of millions of devices for months and was only discovered recently. Sometimes neither QA nor beta testers find critical bugs before a release.

8. ipooed macrumors 6502a

ipooed

Easy way for apple to tout that iOS 12.x.x was the most widely accepted update EVER.

9. Scooz macrumors regular

Which is an obvious and proven fact given the current situation and former release blunders.

Still, the classic management question remains: What measures will you take to decrease the current failure rate?

To just accept the current rate as a god/nature-given thing you don’t need management.

(You could save big time on executive salaries and bonuses with that attitude, though)

10. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Group FaceTime didn’t debut until 12.1, so requiring 12.1.4 changes little. And, Apple only announces the take rate of major OS versions anyway, not .x or .x.x updates.

If Group FaceTime really did drive a lot of customers to upgrade to 12.1, cool. Now they’ll have to upgrade to 12.1.4. But there’s no reason for anyone on 12.1 not to upgrade to 12.1.4 in the first place.

11. webdriverguy00 macrumors newbie

Not sure why Apple gets to get away for this. This is really embarrassing.

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

What does "get away for this" mean? What happens with pretty much any and all other companies that sooner or later have one type of bug or another in their products?

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

Like any other company that develops software, I’m sure Apple’s management would like fewer (and less damaging) bugs. I can’t imagine they’re satisfied with the current rate, and I’d be very surprised if they weren’t continuously trying to improve software quality.

14. Scooz macrumors regular

I can see personnel changes in innovation and strategy but not in QA so far. Neither a split of responsibilities nor a general visible focus on QA. I’d love be wrong here, though.

Don’t get me wrong. I think Apple had some really good years with focus on hardening their systems some years ago. Something I never thought they would reach. It made OSX a really professional tool.

It seems to me, however, that their recent focus on personal computing has shifted their view towards comfort, features, and sandboxing of third parties to ensure an easy user life. At the same time the moved away from keeping their own system top notch in terms of engineering quality and state of the art product QA, resulting in themselves becoming the actual risk factor.

Something they wanted to keep away from the user but now had even more system access and therefor more potential for damage than any third party ever could.

In my opinion, they urgently need to bring back that preventive (in contrast to creative) engineering quality and make their system state of the art engineering products again. The getting things (or features) done mentality of the last few years might not have helped here. And for me, this would also come with a visible change in the upper parts of management (sttucture, personnel), since you need a change in culture to reach that goal.

15. PickUrPoison macrumors 68030

I don’t disagree that there needs to be more focus on software quality (and hardware for that matter, but that’s another topic), but I don’t think any changes would necessarily be visible to us, being on the outside, unless you say Federighi has to go. There’s no SVP of Quality—but maybe there should be!?

16. Altis macrumors 68030

It's too bad the iOS update scheme effectively requires a complete OS update to fix issues with individual apps.

Quite the pain for people who like to ride the trailing edge, where things generally work well.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

While that certainly would be good, something like this might still require an OS level update.

18. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

I’m glad the mom who first reported the bug called Apple out. This will make them even more diligent in the future about improving their process for accepting feedback. I’ve always been frustrated when I report issues/bugs and never hear anything back.

19. MrGuder macrumors 68030

Do you think this is why it took so long for Apple to come out with Group FaceTime? What I mean is the apparent bugs that could exist with so many people being connected to each other’s devices at the same time. We now know that this was a very real security risk.

20. scrapesleon macrumors 6502a

scrapesleon

Now everyone got to update to the latest firmware so classic Apple

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Considering this only applies to those who were already in iOS 12.1 and this the latest version basically, doesn't seem like it's changing much. Classic indeed.

22. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Quite obviously YOUR phone was sending sound (and possibly video, I didn't check the details) when it shouldn't. That's part of the 12.1.3 software, and any phone with 12.1.3 will do that. It seems on the server side they currently disabled group facetime completely, so the problem goes away, but no group facetime.

It seems that no matter what Apple does on the server side, phones with 12.1.3 will _always_ misbehave. So Apple needs to create a 12.1.4 version without the bug, and then the server checks if phones run 12.1.4. If they don't, they are not allowed to use group FaceTime. Because if they were allowed, the same thing would happen again.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2019 ---
    They fixed the security problem. Now they have to fix group FaceTime :) But clearly fixing the security problem had absolute priority.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2019 ---
    Apple can't. The call works _exactly_ as if you had picked up. Only those involved in the group facetime can hear or see what's going on, Apple can't. The problem is that it works exactly as if you had picked up, when you haven't picked up.

23. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Get away with what?

24. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's quite likely that the server-side fix makes it so that the existing iOS versions won't work with it anymore and that's basically the reason why Group FaceTime won't be available on them.

25. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

I’m still curious how this huge flaw got past Apple’s famed quality control.