Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has received a card on the iTunes Movies storefront that encourages users to watch the film in 4K HDR on the Apple TV 4K, suggesting that Disney's 4K video holdout on iTunes may end soon. The change comes after news in September that Disney would be the only major Hollywood studio not supporting 4K versions of its films on the iTunes Movies store, including Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movies.

Right now, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 appears under the "Now Available to Rent" section of iTunes with a new "Watch It in 4K" card, but when you tap through to the movie's page it's still listed as HD-only as of writing. As such, the mention could be an error, or the first hint at more Marvel and other Disney movies imminently gaining 4K iTunes support.

GOTG4Krentitunes.jpg

Spider-Man: Homecoming is another Marvel Studios movie -- a studio which Disney owns -- that's in 4K HDR on iTunes, but it has been 4K since it released on the digital storefront in September due to the distribution rights of the film being owned by Sony, not Disney.

For now, it appears that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the only Disney-related film with a hint of having imminent 4K support on iTunes. Other newly released Disney films, including Cars 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, don't have mentions of 4K support anywhere on iTunes yet. Apple's 4K iTunes films are priced at the same point as HD versions -- $20 -- and if you previously owned the movie in HD, Apple automatically upgrades it to 4K HDR without requiring additional payment.

If Disney does begin a wider rollout of 4K support across its iTunes film catalogue, it will be joining 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony, Warner Bros., and Universal Pictures in backing the 4K video format on Apple devices.

(Thanks @vash_maxwell!)

Article Link: 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Gets 4K Mention on iTunes, Suggesting Disney's 4K Holdout May Be Ending

MenaceF1

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
I think this story might be a red-herring.
Several Marvel titles are already available in 4K HDR, such as Logan.
I'll believe it when a Disney title such as Star Wars or Frozen shows up in 4K.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has received a card on the iTunes Movies storefront that encourages users to watch the film in 4K HDR on the Apple TV 4K, suggesting that Disney's 4K video holdout on iTunes may end soon. The change comes after news in September that Disney would be the only major Hollywood studio not supporting 4K versions of its films on the iTunes Movies store, including Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movies.

Right now, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 appears under the "Now Available to Rent" section of iTunes with a new "Watch It in 4K" card, but when you tap through to the movie's page it's still listed as HD-only as of writing. As such, the mention could be an error, or the first hint at more Marvel and other Disney movies imminently gaining 4K iTunes support.

GOTG4Krentitunes.jpg

Spider-Man: Homecoming is another Marvel Studios movie -- a studio which Disney owns -- that's in 4K HDR on iTunes, but it has been 4K since it released on the digital storefront in September due to the distribution rights of the film being owned by Sony, not Disney.

For now, it appears that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the only Disney-related film with a hint of having imminent 4K support on iTunes. Other newly released Disney films, including Cars 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, don't have mentions of 4K support anywhere on iTunes yet. Apple's 4K iTunes films are priced at the same point as HD versions -- $20 -- and if you previously owned the movie in HD, Apple automatically upgrades it to 4K HDR without requiring additional payment.

If Disney does begin a wider rollout of 4K support across its iTunes film catalogue, it will be joining 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony, Warner Bros., and Universal Pictures in backing the 4K video format on Apple devices.

(Thanks @vash_maxwell!)

Article Link: 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Gets 4K Mention on iTunes, Suggesting Disney's 4K Holdout May Be Ending

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
Logan is distributed by 20th Century Fox, which is why it has 4K support rn.

mmm1345

Suspended
Aug 8, 2017
doesn't matter since Apple doesn’t let you rebuy movies. So i couldn’t buy the 4k version even if i wanted to...

cardsdoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Shaker Hts, OH
doesn't matter since Apple doesn’t let you rebuy movies. So i couldn’t buy the 4k version even if i wanted to...

I'm assuming you are referring to movies you own but don't get 4K/HDR upgrade due transferring in from Movies Anywhere (otherwise you get automatic upgrade to 4K). In that case many have had success including myself gifting the movie to yourself in itunes. You have to pay for it but it worked for several movies for me.

Creek0512

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
Logan is not a Disney movie, it’s a 20th Century Fox film, so completely irrelevant.
[doublepost=1510934026][/doublepost]
As someone who has bought every single Marvel Studios movie through iTunes, this would be a big deal.
Disney has only released 3 movies in 4K, at all: Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2, Cars 3, and Pirates of the Carribean 5, so its not like this is gonna have much impact on upgrading your library.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
What a kick in the balls it is to have a PIXAR movie not available in 4K specifically to an Apple Product.

Both companies founded by Apple’s creator.

The irony.

Steve is DEFINITELY turning in his grave.

Steve did NOT create Pixar, he bought it from LucasFilms.

However, it definitely grew from near nothing to a powerhouse under Steve Job's and John Lassiter's leadership.

HailstormX

Contributor
Nov 21, 2012
I have a ton of Disney movies. I hope this come true. Disney owns pretty much everything I like to watch having it in 4K will be a nice bonus!

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
This would be kinda huge for me, since I already own quite a few HD Disney films on iTunes (so weird thinking about Star Wars VII as a Disney film...). Crossing my fingers for a free 4K upgrade!!

Well your problem will remain that there aren’t 4K versions of those films. Guardians, Cars 3, and the new Pirates movies are literally the only 3 4K Disney movies in existence (and none of them are real 4K).

Reactions: netnothing
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.