'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Gets 4K Mention on iTunes, Suggesting Disney's 4K Holdout May Be Ending

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 17, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 has received a card on the iTunes Movies storefront that encourages users to watch the film in 4K HDR on the Apple TV 4K, suggesting that Disney's 4K video holdout on iTunes may end soon. The change comes after news in September that Disney would be the only major Hollywood studio not supporting 4K versions of its films on the iTunes Movies store, including Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars movies.

Right now, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 appears under the "Now Available to Rent" section of iTunes with a new "Watch It in 4K" card, but when you tap through to the movie's page it's still listed as HD-only as of writing. As such, the mention could be an error, or the first hint at more Marvel and other Disney movies imminently gaining 4K iTunes support.

[​IMG]

Spider-Man: Homecoming is another Marvel Studios movie -- a studio which Disney owns -- that's in 4K HDR on iTunes, but it has been 4K since it released on the digital storefront in September due to the distribution rights of the film being owned by Sony, not Disney.

For now, it appears that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is the only Disney-related film with a hint of having imminent 4K support on iTunes. Other newly released Disney films, including Cars 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, don't have mentions of 4K support anywhere on iTunes yet. Apple's 4K iTunes films are priced at the same point as HD versions -- $20 -- and if you previously owned the movie in HD, Apple automatically upgrades it to 4K HDR without requiring additional payment.

If Disney does begin a wider rollout of 4K support across its iTunes film catalogue, it will be joining 20th Century Fox, Lionsgate, Paramount, Sony, Warner Bros., and Universal Pictures in backing the 4K video format on Apple devices.

(Thanks @vash_maxwell!)

Article Link: 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Gets 4K Mention on iTunes, Suggesting Disney's 4K Holdout May Be Ending

2. Return Zero, Nov 17, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

This would be kinda huge for me, since I already own quite a few HD Disney films on iTunes (so weird thinking about Star Wars VII as a Disney film...). Crossing my fingers for a free 4K upgrade!!

3. MenaceF1 macrumors newbie

MenaceF1

I think this story might be a red-herring.
    Several Marvel titles are already available in 4K HDR, such as Logan.
    I'll believe it when a Disney title such as Star Wars or Frozen shows up in 4K.

4. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

5. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Yes Logan is Marvel, but it's owned by Fox, not Disney.

[​IMG]

6. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Logan is distributed by 20th Century Fox, which is why it has 4K support rn.

7. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Similar to Spiderman Homecoming, Logan is not distributed by Disney. It's distributed by 20th Century Fox.

edit:E2M beat me to it.

8. theanimaster macrumors 6502

theanimaster

What a kick in the balls it is to have a PIXAR movie not available in 4K specifically to an Apple Product.

Both companies founded by Apple’s creator.

The irony.

Steve is DEFINITELY turning in his grave.

9. MenaceF1 macrumors newbie

MenaceF1

Well I've learnt something today, thanks!

10. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

There will be a test today at 3pm :p

11. mmm1345 Suspended

mmm1345

doesn't matter since Apple doesn’t let you rebuy movies. So i couldn’t buy the 4k version even if i wanted to...

12. NinjaHERO macrumors 6502a

NinjaHERO

If they're going to start with one, Guardians Vol 2 is the one. Such a beautiful movie in 4K.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can gift it to yourself if you really wanted to rebuy.

14. cardsdoc macrumors 6502

I'm assuming you are referring to movies you own but don't get 4K/HDR upgrade due transferring in from Movies Anywhere (otherwise you get automatic upgrade to 4K). In that case many have had success including myself gifting the movie to yourself in itunes. You have to pay for it but it worked for several movies for me.

15. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030

ugahairydawgs

As someone who has bought every single Marvel Studios movie through iTunes, this would be a big deal.

16. tucogovinda macrumors newbie

tucogovinda

But theoretically, if you originally bought Guardians 2 in HD on iTunes from Apple, they'll upgrade to 4K for free like they've done with other 4K movies.

17. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

Logan is not a Disney movie, it’s a 20th Century Fox film, so completely irrelevant.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 17, 2017 ---
    Disney has only released 3 movies in 4K, at all: Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2, Cars 3, and Pirates of the Carribean 5, so its not like this is gonna have much impact on upgrading your library.

18. TriBruin macrumors member

Steve did NOT create Pixar, he bought it from LucasFilms.

However, it definitely grew from near nothing to a powerhouse under Steve Job's and John Lassiter's leadership.

19. Statiq! macrumors newbie

You can buy movies again... just gift the movie you want to yourself and voila you own it in 4K

20. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I just saw that the Harry Potter movies were 4K. I'll check when I get home.

I know that they're not Disney, but they weren't 4K last time I checked (a week or so ago).

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

They all went 4K this week.

22. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Plus, Steve (and Lorraine) Jobs held major ownership in Disney, when they bought Pixar.

23. HailstormX macrumors regular

I have a ton of Disney movies. I hope this come true. Disney owns pretty much everything I like to watch having it in 4K will be a nice bonus!

24. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Well your problem will remain that there aren’t 4K versions of those films. Guardians, Cars 3, and the new Pirates movies are literally the only 3 4K Disney movies in existence (and none of them are real 4K).

25. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

Do you know of anyone tracking these upgrades as they happen? I'd like to know when certain titles become available in 4K, but Apple still has the same stale 4K promo list on the store that they had at launch.