Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aclegg2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
It's clearly stated somewhere in the 158 previous pages (I know, it's ridiculous!) that you can run the combo update but you'll need to re-run MLPF for 10.8.4 right after (because the Combo will obviously replace kernel + /S/L/E kexts by 10,8,5 64bits versions). Do not reboot into 10.8.5 until you've re-run MLPF on the ML partition. Then update the OS X version plist file to cosmetically reflect 10.8.5.

It does work that way.
I downloaded the 10.8.5 combo from apple.com and its saying it can't install because of a JavaScript error in the package.

Update: I got the 10.8.4 combo to install. I used the pacifist app and installed it that way. Then of course rebooted, went into install and ran mlfactor to patch everything up. Still not sure why I got that error, but this way go around it.

Last edited:

yy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
Fixing sound on 10.8.5 on Macbook Pro 2,2

Really sorry to be the dream crusher and/or the bad guy! But noone has to believe me of course... Someone said back in July that the Mavericks solution could be out within a couple of weeks: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/19352877/

The solution must have tripped on the carpet or got lost on its way to the forum. So, you can hang in here waiting if you want. :D

Re: audio issue, did you only copy the audio kext files or did you do something else like trying to manually load them and/or rebuilding the cache?

first i copied the framework files when booted on another os, then I booted into the os and copied all the files in that post with the kext utility (it says it rebuilds the cache, etc), rebooted, nothin.

I then used that kext utility to copy the HDA and IOAudioFamily kexts from my lion, nothin.

Should I not use that utility? it seemed pretty thorough.

I found this post: Post 3655 that suggests using VoodooHDA, I'm a bit apprehensive to using this solution as if it doesn't work i think I'll have to start over (well i saved an image so have to reimage) but it seems like a last ditch sort of thing.

And btw, thanks for everything, and you prolly saved me many hours of wasted effort and heartache by making me face reality with mavericks....

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
VoodooHDA is pretty safe to use; it simply implies installing the VoodooHDA kext + the AppleHDADisabler kext. They can easily be removed subsequently to revert to standard AppleHDA.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
On all systems limited to 32bit for graphics support reasons (i.e. GMA950, GMA X3100, etc.), all OS updates are a potential risk. They usually update kexts in /S/L/E by 64bit-only versions and then your system is screwed until you re-instate the older 32/64bit versions from ML DP1.

Hence why you need to re-run MLPF over any 10.8.x update or face trouble...

Applications updates (eg: Safari, iTunes, etc.) are Ok.

Elementary, my dear Watson!

aclegg2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
On all systems limited to 32bit for graphics support reasons (i.e. GMA950, GMA X3100, etc.), all OS updates are a potential risk. They usually update kexts in /S/L/E by 64bit-only versions and then your system is screwed until you re-instate the older 32/64bit versions from ML DP1.

Hence why you need to re-run MLPF over any 10.8.x update or face trouble...

Applications updates (eg: Safari, iTunes, etc.) are Ok.

Elementary, my dear Watson!
Thanks for the help. It all makes sense.

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Hey guys,

I've been having some iTunes Match issues (unrelated to MLPF), so I was told to try re-booting in Safe Mode, do some things in iTunes, and re-boot back normally. After I completed what I needed to do in Safe Mode, I re-booted normally. However, since I've done that, the files on my desktop will appear for about 10 seconds, disappear for a few seconds, and do the same thing over and over again. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's Finder that keeps crashing and causing this.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm currently running an early 2008 MacBook, with MLPF 10.8.4.

----------

Nevermind, guys. It looks like, for some reason, after re-booting back in normal mode, my Copy application was causing Finder to repeatedly crash. After disabling it, everything is back to normal, thankfully.

For future reference, should I avoid ever starting up in safe mode, or should that not cause any issues with MLPF? Thanks!

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Safe mode is exactly what it is: a special mode to safely boot the OS. You can use it, regardless of MLPF hack.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
OK, my Mac mini (originally a 1,1 - now a 2,1) is essentially a pretty brick.

Mountain Lion was a disaster. Couldn't install half the stuff I wanted to, and anything that did install wouldn't run. Decided to cut my losses (despite shelling out for the OS in the app store) and go back to 10.6. Except that won't install. Keep getting an error saying my Mac is now not compatible with it. Tried two different Snow Leopard install discs, same error. Tried a 10.5 install disc, same error.

Something MLPF has done has rendered my Mac ineligable for these operating systems. And now I'm trying to get 10.8 back on it to see if that works, and all the instructions are missing.

Step 1. How do I boot it to a point where I can partition the drive?

So yes, I'm failing at step one. Is there a step by step guide anywhere? This one (from the 1st post of the thread) seems to start halfway through, with no explanation of how to download or extract the .zip file, how to create a boot disc with it on and how to boot from it. I'm sorry to have to make such a negative sounding post, but I've been trying for weeks and I really can't make head nor tail of it. I'm getting really frustrated - I have a lot of video footage I want to edit, and can't as all I have to use is this rubbish PC I'm posting from!
Please help me fix my Mac! :apple:

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Please help me fix my Mac! :apple:

Try to boot a external OS X via USB (e.g. created via SFOTT) or from the SuperDrive. For the SuperDrive you need a OSX-DVD with the black label - a DVD with a grey label must fit for your Mac model or must be appropriate patched first.

Boot the external OS X, but do not follow the install process. Go simply into the menu bar and start the Terminal.

Use the Terminal command 'dd' to delete the first sectors of the internal drive. CAUTION: the data on the drive will be overwritten and the 'dd' command is a little bit dangerous - if you use the wrong settings, it can overwrite the data on the wrong disk.

List your drives in Terminal with: diskutil list

Unmount the Disk (i.e. disk1): diskutil unmountdisk disk1

To write 100 MB (zeros) to the first sectors of the internal drive (i.e. disk1):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk1 bs=1024k count=100

If this is done, close Terminal and open Disk Utility and create (a) new Partition(s) with GUID and 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' filesystem and try to install OS X again.

Reset also the PRAM of your Mac.

Fbianchife

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Wi-Fi issue on Macbook 2,1

Hello everyone.

First of all I'd like to thank all the people that worked so hard to make this work!!

I would like to apologize in advance if the answer was already provided, however I used the search option a lot, also inside the thread but I cound't fine any solution to my problem.

I managed to install Mountain Lion on a mid 2007 black MacBook 2,1. Version installed is 10.8.3.

Unfortunately I'm having problems with the wifi connection. Specifically, I can connect on to UNPROTECTED networks. If I try to connect to any password protected network I get the following error message:

"connection failure"

Please note that I can properly connect to unprotected networks.

Thanks a lot!!

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Indeed, your question was answered quite a long time ago in the thread. Do another search and look up for "airportd" deamon. Basically, you need to revert to a pre-10.8.4 version.

Fbianchife

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Indeed, your question was answered quite a long time ago in the thread. Do another search and look up for "airportd" deamon. Basically, you need to revert to a pre-10.8.4 version.

Hello and thanks for your prompt reply!

I actually did find that solution, however I installed ML 10.8.3 so I assumed my "airportd" is already a pre 10.8.4 version for that reason.

Am I correct?

In case I'm wrong and I do need to replace with an older one, do you have any idea where I can download it from?

Thanks again

Fbianchife

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012

Thanks! so I assume I was wrong in my assumption.

I'll replace the file and post the feedback.

Thanks for your help

----------

Hi, I've replaced the airportd with the older one and run the following commands on the terminal:

sudo chmod 755 /usr/libexec/airportd

sudo chown 0:0 /usr/libexec/airportd

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine /usr/libexec/airportd

The "xattr" one didn't work, I got the following message "No such xattr: com.apple.qurantine"

However I rebooted the machine and I was able to connect to the protected WiFi so the problem is actually solved.

Shall I worry about the failure of the 3rd command?

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Seems you made a typo somewhere... or the file was already not quarantined at all. The xattr command is to remove that file attribute, so no worries.

Last edited:

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Try to boot a external OS X via USB (e.g. created via SFOTT) or from the SuperDrive. For the SuperDrive you need a OSX-DVD with the black label - a DVD with a grey label must fit for your Mac model or must be appropriate patched first.

Boot the external OS X, but do not follow the install process. Go simply into the menu bar and start the Terminal.

Use the Terminal command 'dd' to delete the first sectors of the internal drive. CAUTION: the data on the drive will be overwritten and the 'dd' command is a little bit dangerous - if you use the wrong settings, it can overwrite the data on the wrong disk.

List your drives in Terminal with: diskutil list

Unmount the Disk (i.e. disk1): diskutil unmountdisk disk1

To write 100 MB (zeros) to the first sectors of the internal drive (i.e. disk1):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/disk1 bs=1024k count=100

If this is done, close Terminal and open Disk Utility and create (a) new Partition(s) with GUID and 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)' filesystem and try to install OS X again.

Reset also the PRAM of your Mac.

Thanks so much for your detailed instructions.

Unfortunately, I have to report that it didn't work. Still getting the Caution symbol (as above!) and
"Mac OSX could not be installed on your computer
The installer could not copy the necessary support files."

Same error either with the Snow Leopard disk it came with, or a retail Leopard disk as well.

I partitioned the hard drive, and tried it on both parts, same error. Even attached an external drive, and tried to install on there, same error.

Unfortunately I only have the Macs in my signature at home, so I can't do anything with SFOTT (tried on my Powerbook, won't run). The only thing I'm thinking of trying is getting MLP to work again - I've got a USB stick with Mountain Lion on, and a copy of the latest MLP - but I can't find the instructions I used first time around. The original post seems to be missing some steps?

If all else fails, I have access to a Mac Pro 1,1 at work, and possibly a 3,1 and a 4,1 as well. Would that help in any way? I have a large external hard drive that can boot from USB or Firewire too.

Thanks again, I really want to get this up and running somehow. My ideal was a dual boot MLP-enabled Mountain Lion and a plain out of the box Snow Leopard.

Fbianchife

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Bluetooth: impossible to associate devices

Hello, it's me again..

I had 2 problems with the Bluetooth:

1) Bluetooth control panel crash: solved finding the solution in this thread

2) Impossible to associate any device. When I look for device I can try the pairing function but once the association code is inserted in the device (an iPhone for example), I get an error message saying it's not possible to pair or even the device is not supported (when of course it is).
I couldn't find a solution in this thread..

Anybody can help?

Thanks in advance

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
My ideal was a dual boot MLP-enabled Mountain Lion and a plain out of the box Snow Leopard.

For MLPostFactorV0.3 you need a running Lion 10.7.5 . Make a USB-Flashdrive with Lion, you can find the instructions with a search engine.

Run the Apple Hardware Test to be sure your Mac is ok.

If the AHT is ok, reset your Mac completely, delete the internal drive as described above (e.g. with the 'USB-Lion') so that the entire old stuff which can cause issues has been wiped out.

Create the partitions for Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, your Data as well as temporary partitions for Lion and MLPF (e.g. at the end of the disk or maybe it works also with external USB-Flashdrives).

Install Snow Leopard and Lion as well as MLPF. See the instructions for MLPF in Post #1 on Page 1 in this Thread. Create then a MLPF-version of Mountain Lion with MLPostFactorV0.3.

Maybe you can find someone who can help you 'on-site', e.g. a independent Apple dealer - Apple's Genius Bar as well as a authorized Apple dealer will probably not help at a "hacked" Mac (maybe they can at least install Snow Leopard as well as Lion on the appropriate partitions).

Last edited:

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
For MLPostFactorV0.3 you need a running Lion 10.7.5 . Make a USB-Flashdrive with Lion, you can find the instructions with a search engine.

Run the Apple Hardware Test to be sure your Mac is ok.

If the AHT is ok, reset your Mac completely, delete the internal drive as described above (e.g. with the 'USB-Lion') so that the entire old stuff which can cause issues has been wiped out.

Create the partitions for Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion, your Data as well as temporary partitions for Lion and MLPF (e.g. at the end of the disk or maybe it works also with external USB-Flashdrives).

Install Snow Leopard and Lion as well as MLPF. See the instructions for MLPF in Post #1 on Page 1 in this Thread. Create then a MLPF-version of Mountain Lion with MLPostFactorV0.3.

Maybe you can find someone who can help you 'on-site', e.g. a independent Apple dealer - Apple's Genius Bar as well as a authorized Apple dealer will probably not help at a "hacked" Mac (maybe they can at least install Snow Leopard as well as Lion on the appropriate partitions).

Thanks again for your reply. The Mac Pro I have access to at work runs 10.7, but I can't go partitioning that up! I can use it to create boot disks or whatever though.
Should my Mac Mini be able to run Lion natively? It was originally a 1,1 but I have upgraded it (as in my sig) so I don't know? If so, I'll buy a Lion USB key (I don't think they came on DVD, did they?) on ebay or somewhere and go from there.

In the meantime, are there some step by step instructions to MLP somewhere that I can try on this Lion Mac Pro here at work?

Thanks so much - I think a new Mac of some sort will be top of my Christmas list after all this!

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Should my Mac Mini be able to run Lion natively?

Should run if you have the Core 2 Duo now.

For a test you could try to make a USB-Drive with SFOTT and Mavericks - if Mavericks runs on your Mac mini (apart from graphics acceleration), then Lion should run too.

10.7.5 as well as 10.8.5 can be purchased at Apple: http://store.apple.com/uk/help/downloads#olderversions (£14.00, download via App-Store).

The step-by-step instructions for MLPF are clearly to find in Post #1. As suggested - try to find someone who is well familiar with Macs and can help you on-site. Your dual-boot SL/ML should be feasible.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
A Mac mini1,1 (Core Solo/CoreDuo) "converted" to Mac mini2,1 (Core2Duo) should in theory be able to run Lion in 32bit kernel mode (GMA950 oblige). Hardware-wise (CPU, GPU), it's Ok.

Mac mini1,1 are limited to 10.6.8 so, if your CPU-upgraded model remains stuck at 10.6.8, maybe it's something to do with serial number, SMC keys, a ROM or something of the sort that identifies your model specifically.

Mac mini1,1 (CoreSolo) specs
Mac mini1,1 (CoreDuo) specs
Mac mini2,1 (Core2Duo) specs

Edit: Looks like you need a special little hack to reach your goal -> look here for the potential solution. If it works for Lion, you'll have to do the same for MLPF ML.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.