Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Hello, it's me again..

I had 2 problems with the Bluetooth:

1) Bluetooth control panel crash: solved finding the solution in this thread

2) Impossible to associate any device. When I look for device I can try the pairing function but once the association code is inserted in the device (an iPhone for example), I get an error message saying it's not possible to pair or even the device is not supported (when of course it is).
I couldn't find a solution in this thread..

Anybody can help?

Thanks in advance

Look here or search the thread for "bluetooth" related matters.

peejaypv

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2014
Mavericks in my MacBook White ?

Hi, people!
I use MLFactor 0.3 in my MacBook White Late 2008, with Mountain Lion 10.8.4. It works well, with some graphics issues (as expected). Now I want to test Mavericks with SFOTT software. Could you experts (!) tell me the steps to install it? See attachment with specifications for my computer.

Attachments

• mb2008.jpg
    mb2008.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 135

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
:D Arf, none so zaelous as non-believers! I guess we've not reached the end of July yet...

At the current rate of success, I strongly suggest to start straight away with Yosmite's replacement to keep ahead of the game!

In fact, why don't they work on getting Lion, ML and Mav on Pentium M with GMA915 platforms? I'd be very interested.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Nothing to get excited about I'm afraid. This will apparently just gather existing installation tools such as SFOTT or MLPF or patches, nothing much further and certainly nothing to bring graphics acceleration for unsupported obsolete GPUs under Mavericks or Yosemite.

Installing the OS is not really an issue (been done for years on Hackintoshes!), the graphics is; so raising false hopes with misleading announcements is a bit of a con.

Last edited:

10tacleBoy

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
Hi 10tacleBoy,

Just give Apple a call and they will ask you for your serial number (never say you run ML) and that they can unlock your machine for iMessage.
I still haven't given them a call but I have an Apple Store appointment on wednesday (for other reasons) and I'm going to tell them in person once I get there.

So just to be sure:
What exactly am I supposed to tell them now, if not that I'm struggling with iMessage? Wouldn't they notice that I'm running ML on an unsupported Mac (iMac late 2006)?

What did you guys tell them? :eek: Thank you!

Anyone know?
I can't guarantee that, but I'd say yes since the boot camp assistant doesn't do anything else than creating an NTFS partition. But from then on, the actual Windows installation has got nothing to do with your OS X.

Last edited:

yy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
Success on 10.8.5 on MacBook 4,1, still no sound on Macbook Pro 2,2

Thanks to the excellent help here, I was able to install the 10.8.5 update (using Pacify, had the same javascript error) and re-applying MLPF to my Macbook 4,1, its now running Mountain Lion very nicely, would have liked Mavericks but I could never get that SFOTT thing to boot, I tried internal, external drives, usb key, got some grey slash then it booted to regular, probably for the best anyway at least I have graphics support with this, so thanks its made my aging laptop very usable again!

Now the one I really wanted to upgrade, the Macbook Pro 2,2 i tried to apply the VoodooHDA 2.8.4, no go, i tried installing it multiple ways (using an install pkg that came with it, kext installers...) nothin.

Its really a shame because except for the sound problem it runs ML 10.8.5 GREAT. I upgraded this machine from 10.5 -> 10.6 -> 10.7, and its full of crap, so I decided the best I can do for now is do a fresh install of lion 10.7.5 and manually set it up without the years of crap..... It does work better than my original boot, but ML 10.8.5 was still more responsive, faster browsing and I like the Mail client in 10.8 better than 10.7.

Is there something I may have missed to get the sound working? I'd start again with a different approach, I got so close.... (no sound is a deal breaker unfortunately, I considered using like bluetooth to some external speaker but its not a very good solution)

Thanks again for all the great help!

aclegg2010

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks to the excellent help here, I was able to install the 10.8.5 update (using Pacify, had the same javascript error) and re-applying MLPF to my Macbook 4,1, its now running Mountain Lion very nicely, would have liked Mavericks but I could never get that SFOTT thing to boot, I tried internal, external drives, usb key, got some grey slash then it booted to regular, probably for the best anyway at least I have graphics support with this, so thanks its made my aging laptop very usable again!

Now the one I really wanted to upgrade, the Macbook Pro 2,2 i tried to apply the VoodooHDA 2.8.4, no go, i tried installing it multiple ways (using an install pkg that came with it, kext installers...) nothin.

Its really a shame because except for the sound problem it runs ML 10.8.5 GREAT. I upgraded this machine from 10.5 -> 10.6 -> 10.7, and its full of crap, so I decided the best I can do for now is do a fresh install of lion 10.7.5 and manually set it up without the years of crap..... It does work better than my original boot, but ML 10.8.5 was still more responsive, faster browsing and I like the Mail client in 10.8 better than 10.7.

Is there something I may have missed to get the sound working? I'd start again with a different approach, I got so close.... (no sound is a deal breaker unfortunately, I considered using like bluetooth to some external speaker but its not a very good solution)

Thanks again for all the great help!
10.8.5 works very well on my late 2006 iMac. I had to use pacify also to install the combo update. I kept getting that stupid JavaScript error. I also installed office 2011 before I updated to 10.8.5. Because I heard people had problems with installing office. I'd like to run mavericks also, but it doesn't sound like its very stable on our machines. I'm happy with the mountain lion though.

----------

I still haven't given them a call but I have an Apple Store appointment on wednesday (for other reasons) and I'm going to tell them in person once I get there.

So just to be sure:
What exactly am I supposed to tell them now, if not that I'm struggling with iMessage? Wouldn't they notice that I'm running ML on an unsupported Mac (iMac late 2006)?

What did you guys tell them? :eek: Thank you!

I can't guarantee that, but I'd say yes since the boot camp assistant doesn't do anything else than creating an NTFS partition. But from then on, the actual Windows installation has got nothing to do with your OS X.
I'll have to give it a shot soon. I was just thinking using mlpf would mess something up, but now that I think about it the partitions should be fine like you said.

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Is there a way of replacing the Boot EFI thing with a "standard" copy? It looks like I can't install Lion either. I get the thing about removing the versions plist, but how can I do that if I don't already have an OS on the Mac?

The only thing I can think of is that the Tiamo EFI thing has borked it.

yy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
Have you tried Drive Genius?

I think it might be the EFI that's the problem - I installed that Tiamo EFI thing to get MLPF working on it. Could that be why it can't install a 32bit OS?

Have you tried the something that boots from disk, like Drive Genius to reformat your drive? Or taking out the drive and reformating it on another computer you have access too? I think this problem may be better solved in another thread as it seems you can't install ANY os, even the one that came with the computer?

-yy1

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
Have you tried the something that boots from disk, like Drive Genius to reformat your drive? Or taking out the drive and reformating it on another computer you have access too? I think this problem may be better solved in another thread as it seems you can't install ANY os, even the one that came with the computer?

-yy1

Yeah, it just seems that this hack is what's broken it!

I'm currently taking a Carbon Copy Cloner image of a Mac Pro with Lion on it, so will hopefully be able to boot from that.

I'd rather not have to open this thing up again - I have since used the paint scraper I bought to actually scrape paint, so it's all dirty now!

Not heard of Drive Genius before, so I'll have a look at that, thanks.

Problem is, I'm still fairly new to Macs. If this was happening on a PC, I'd say it was an error in the BIOS, and I'd reset it with a jumper or something. Is that what the EFI thing is on a Mac? Where is that stored? On the chip, or on a part of the hard drive?

10tacleBoy

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
What did you guys tell them?
Sorry for quoting myself, but I have to know it.
I just called the Apple support and I had to answer some questions first (there was a computer voice) and right after it asked me for the serial number of my Mac, I hung up. Because I'm afraid that once I give them my serial number, they can see that I'm talking about a late 2006 iMac, which is (of course) not supported my ML. And then I couldn't say that I'm having troubles with iMessage… you know what I mean? I don't want to mention my 2006 iMac and iMessage in the same sentence. :confused:

So how did you guys do this?!

yy1

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
SUCCESS!!! 10.8.5 on Macbook Pro 2,2 WITH SOUND

I'm listening to Music and posting on my MacBook 2,2 with sound….

Well first I restored my image of fresh 10.8.5 install, as I was trying so many different kexts and other solutions, then I tried the AppleHDA and IOAudioFamliy that were in post Post 3663, Then I repaired permissions and no go. BUT THEN I installed the VoodooHDA 2.8.4.pkg, repaired permission again, rebooted….. beautiful SOUND!!!

The speakers on this MacbookPro 2,2 need to be heard! I hope the SPDIF works but that I could deal with not having….

So I am successful in going as far as I can probably go with both my Macbook 4,1 and Macbook Pro 2,2 thanks to this guide!

Thanks to all who help extend these Macs useful lifetime!

Makes me remember when i put an 68881 chip in my Mac II…. (thats how long i've been using macs)

This is a great community I think I will stick around and try to help others if I can, pay it forward.

-yy1

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK

-yy1

As suggested, I've now started a new thread about my Mac Mini saga!

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20083305

Any help gratefully received! :apple:

Galaners

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2014
I Need MLPostFactor 64 bit

I've been searching for MLPF 64 bits but I can`t find it anywhere. Can someone give me the link where i can download it? (sorry for my bad english).

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
I've been searching for MLPF 64 bits but I can`t find it anywhere. Can someone give me the link where i can download it? (sorry for my bad english).
There were originally 2 versions of MLPF v0.2.2, a 32bit version and a 64bit version. However, they were subsequently superseded by MLPF v0.3 which is 32bit only.

10tacleBoy

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2014
[Guide] Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac

SUCCESS!

Now my dad is finally able to use iMessage on his 24" iMac late 2006.
I called the Apple service about an hour ago and they asked for the serial number.
As mentioned before it might not be a good idea to tell them the SN of the 2006 iMac, which is not supported by Mountain Lion as you know.

So here's the solution for everyone who gets an error saying that "your Apple-ID can not be used to set up iMessage this time":

Do NOT give them the SN of your unsupported Mac.
I simply gave them the serial number of my 2012 iMac instead.
Then the guy asked for my customer code and that's it. He said it should work now, and it indeed does.
Now my dad can log in to iMessage on his unsupported Mac and it works like a charm! It's amazing.
Even Facetime works perfectly without any frame rate drops or connection issues. :)

Mission accomplished. :cool:

Here are the specs by the way:

iMac 24" late 2006
Core 2 Duo
GeForce 7600 GT
3 GB Ram

Everything's fine and ML runs absolutely flawlessly on this Mac.

We haven't noticed any weird bugs or issues.
- No lags, no crashes
- No sound issues
- No Wi-Fi or Ethernet issues
- No iCloud issues

and finally:

- No iMessage/FaceTime issues

So a big THANK YOU for this amazing project! I will definitely donate.

Last edited:

erak

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2012
Do NOT give them the SN of your unsupported Mac.
How to fix iMessage by calling to Apple has already been mentioned a couple of times, also by me just a couple of pages back. You don't have to give them a fake SN, your old unsupported SN is just fine.
BUT THEN I installed the VoodooHDA 2.8.4.pkg, repaired permission again, rebooted….. beautiful SOUND!!!
VoodooHDA is not needed. If so, you did something wrong. Did you use Kext Utility or drag and drop?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.