[Guide] Success! Install 10.8 on old unsupported Mac

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by hackerwayne, Feb 17, 2012.

1. uby1 macrumors newbie

Hi ADDvanced,
    Thanks for the hint and for the link to your thread.
    So I gave it another try (actually 2 or 3) with MLPostFactor v0.3 and this morning it worked!
    It seems the flavour (10.8.0/1/2/3/4..) of my Installation Package was not clear.
    I did not need to run manually the patching scripts.
    So no time right now to do extensive test, but it boots up and show correct hardware configuration.
    So one more unsupported iMac running OS X 10.8
    Many thanks,
    Uby1

2. aggourin macrumors newbie

aggourin

Hi,
    Thanks for all that great Work! Thanks to all!
    Yesterday I install mlpostfactor v0.3 to my unsupported macbook 4,1 white a1181. It seems to work fine except 2 issues that is minor and too small issues, but if anyone know how to fix it will be great!
    A) my touch pad have a little lag that is nearly unnoticeable and i reduce the sensitivity and now seems that work good, so is minor issue,
    and
    b) When i use firefox to view some web pages like waterfox webpage or to view a pdf file , I see distortion image like GPU issue. With the same websites opened by chrome , work perfectly fine..... So is this Firefox glitch or mlpostfactor glitch? Can this cause damage? Can anyone test it in there mlpostfactor instance and inform me for the results?

I also notice that the mac is more silent now and more fast and responsive .... It seems that mountain lion is better than lion.... Is this normal ? Any logical explanation?

3. aggourin macrumors newbie

aggourin

Hi! , Did you find any solution for the occasional graphics anomalies that i Also have? Can this anomalies cause any hardware damage or ...It will be fine?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 11, 2018 ---
    This is issues with the partitions on your usb stick. You must have 1 partition extended jurnald. Also that can be caused by non compatible usb sctick.

4. e38BimmerFN macrumors newbie

Hey ADDvanced Sir.

I have been looking over this and I have a few questions, if your still around. So I have a Mini A1176 Intel with 4Gb ram. Was my father in laws. Had 10.6.8 loaded on it. I happened to install 10.7 on it and got it upgraded to 10.7.5. However I was hoping to max this thing out with OSX 10.8. I gathered all the required software and such. Got ML .v03 package as we.
    I don't have 10.8.4/5 on disk, only 10.8. I followed the instructions and after following and waiting. I got 10.8 loaded on top of 10.7.5. The mini booted find and I was able to log in. However only two issues I found, I could not connect to any SMB shares that I have in place not could I use the 10.8.5 update combo file. Said it could not be installed on this PC.

Should I have installed 10.8 over 10.6.8 instead of 10.7.5?
    If and when I do this again, should I start with 10.6.8 and install 10.8 directly over 10.6.8?
    If and when 10.8 is fully loaded, can I upgrade using any of the combo packages after installation of 10.8?
    Is there an actual 10.8.4 or.5 installer disk DMG available some place to download?
    Is 10.8x the max OSX version that the mini will support?

I'm currently installing 10.7 on to the mini to see how well it goes. I do have a back up DMG of the drive before I started all of this so I can re-image it later on. Just hoping to clarify some questions.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

5. chriz74, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018

chriz74 macrumors member

chriz74

I went back to MPFC 1.something to install Mountain Lion, bluetooth is working however the system profiler can't tell what BT hardware it has, I think this is why facetime is not working, the calls fail, probably facetime checks mac address consinstency of the BT hardware. Infact in the same pc with Mavericks facetime works and BT is seen correctly but opengl is not supported.
    I tried to use kexts from LION for blutooth but they don't load, probably I made some mistakes, I extracted them from the installer and looking inside they don't have codesignature...

Imessage works. This is the summary fror BT on system profiler:

"There was an error while gathering this information."

console:

4/15/18 11:50:27.000 AM kernel[0]: CSRUSBBluetoothHCIController::setupHardware super returned 0

4/15/18 12:09:18.235 PM system_profiler[355]: Exception while calling [SPBluetoothReporter updateDictionary:]
    -[CSRHostController USBProductID]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7ff142465ed0

ioRegistry:

Screen Shot 2018-04-15 at 12.11.26 PM.png

6. Romanesq, Apr 15, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

Romanesq macrumors 6502a

Romanesq

Well, I surrender. After a day of trying to do the install on a Mac Mini (upgraded) to 2.1 with 4GB RAM, the install goes to the end and then we get this message:

The 'swap' folder is missing! MCPF cannot continue!
    Please contact MLforAll at voolfy@me.com.

I had tried ML install from a USB and then a USB stick but that's where it gets stuck with the same message. Of course I did send an email fwiw.

Did go into disk utility and repaired a ton of stuff automatically. But trying to boot into the main drive or the recover drive loops back to the message. MCPF tries to run and then blamo, you go to the error message.

I'm out of ideas and have tried a clean ML install using three different MCPF versions: 1.0.1, 2.0 and the most recent 2.0.1.

No dice.

What is this "swap folder" even referenced?

UPDATE: With no apparent change on a lark, I booted up the Mac Mini and decided to just hold the SHIFT key and see what would happen. Yesterday it didn't fare well.

Today, it went into the new mac opening and loaded! It shows Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
    I'm trying to create some space for desktop working. Slow as molasses but let's wait until indexing stops.

No idea why it suddenly began working though. If it helps anyone, here it is. Shift from the boot up of the new Mountain Lion fresh install.

UPDATE 2: One reboot and kaput. Back to the original issue above. Then reboot with option key to main drive and hold shift key goes into an endless white screen but does not go back into launching the system.

UPDATE 3: Another install attempt but this time the difference was a USB drive and a partition with 18GB space. It went through but oddly the same issues as above. It works when the USB is connected to the Mac Mini at bootup and gives the same error message as above when it isn't.

It was running smoother but there didn't seem to be a good browser option. Safari was having all kinds of server connection issues to websites including the homepage of this one. So I went back to Snow Leopard for this old backup (upgraded) Mac Mini 2.1.

7. applCore macrumors regular

applCore

Has anyone managed to get GPU acceleration on X1600 (via MacbookPro 2,1) on 10.8 Mountain Lion? I thought I'd read that someone managed this with macOS Extractor, but I'm not having success.

8. Czo macrumors 6502

Acceleration works fine with 64 bit kernel on 10.8 if you downgrade the X1600 kext's and two frameworks (OpenGL and OpenCL) from 10.7.

9. applCore, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

applCore macrumors regular

applCore

Are you referring to the links here? Or is there another more concise self-contained location?

10. ribero macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I just browsed the full thread to find information about why I'm the only one not succeeding in installing ML on a Macbook Air 1.1 (original).

The Macbook Air is running 10.7.5, I tried to install 10.8.5 using MacPostFactor 2.0.1, 2.0 and 1.0.1.
    I tried to install on an external usb hard drive freshly formated, tried to install on the internal disk... no success.

After MPF prepartion of external Usb i reboot the mac (by selecting the usb drive at boot). Mac starts to boot (grey apple on screen) then the screens goes white and the mac continues to boot (or reboot ?) on the previous 10.7.5 internal disk.

I tried all option of MPF with no success.

Can anyone help or give good ideas to go further ?

Thanks !

11. chriz74 macrumors member

chriz74

I had this when creating the USB pen under High Sierra, it makes a bad pen. Under Yosemite works.

12. ribero macrumors newbie

ok finally I got ML 10.8.5 installed but I had to use MPF v0.3... which seems to manage 10.8.4 max.

Anyway it is now installed but iMessage/Facetime is broken :( . It was the main reason why I tried to upgrade
    Now I'm looking for a way to make iMessage and Facetime work.

The few things I read are not very encouraging. It seems very hard to have those parts of ML to work correctly.

I already tried to tweak the nvram settings with no success.

Does someone have an advice on this topic ? Thanks !

13. RV-ABZ macrumors 6502

10.8.5 is MLPF'able. The 10.8.4 numbering is just cosmetic and you can edit the file carrying this info yourself. It makes no difference at all whether you apply MLPF to 10.8, 10.8.3 or 10.8.5.

Just remember that what this hack really does is tune down your ML vanilla installation to a bastardised DP1 version.

14. ribero macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply ! Yes I understood that version numbering is easy to change (and I done it).
    Unfortunately it seems that this "MLPF 10.8.5 downgraded version" is not really usable in my context.
    I found that iMessage / Factetime is broken but also Bluetooth (control panel crash when I try to open it).

It was a fun adventure but I'm afraid that this old Macbook Air will stay in the bottom drawer . Without those apps it will be not ver useful for my kid.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

15. TMRJIJ macrumors 68030

TMRJIJ

MacPostFactor has been depreciated and will no longer be updated. macOS Extractor v1.45 will experiment with the
    ‘OS X 10.8.5 Supplemental Update 1.0’ in hopes of avoiding overwrites to kernel extensions.

16. Th3odor3 macrumors member

Th3odor3

I am using MacPostFactor 2.0.1 in creating a mountain lion usb install for a unsupported Mac Pro 2,1 I checked legacy graphics drivers. what does this mean? and I have a non-efi graphics card a Nvidia GT 120 512MB installed.

17. mpbb macrumors newbie

The only advice I could give you is not to use 2.01 but rather the 1.01 version . Dont know about mac pro 2,1...