Guild Wars 2 - native OSX client beta available

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by robo456, Sep 18, 2012.

1. robo456, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-for-mac-beta/

--rob

2. HatterZero macrumors member

3. JaHull macrumors member

Reading the press release which i saw here it looks like its a TransGaming Cider port.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Are those minimum spec requirements? If so, why so ridiculous compared to PC requirements?

5. Lichqueen, Sep 18, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

Lichqueen macrumors member

The list is missing Mac Pro, anyone can confirm can play on Mac Pro?

Updated: Borrow my friend's account and confirmed can play on my "New" Mac Pro! :)

6. Sech macrumors member

I have two friends with Retina MacBook Pro's that don't want Windows anywhere near their machines. Just forwarded this along to them and two new keys were purchased. I fear my little Air can't really handle it. :)

7. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I'm wondering if my 2012 base 13" Air could handle it.

I'm trying to decide between D3 and GW2. I've played D3 a bit and like it, and dunno if I have the time to put into GW2. Ahhh choices.

8. luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

1) OpenGL is not as tight as DirectX. That's just the way it is. Ports like this are often taxing.

2) GW2 is not a very stable experience on the lowest requirements on pc

3) are the requirements that different? HD3000 is not even the current IGPU. Seems reasonable to me. Very interested to see if it will be playable in OSX with these settings.

9. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

The current gen macbook air is a bit better than these settings. I'm wanting to try it, but also wanting to wait to hear how it is from others who already own the game before buying it :p

10. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Guild Wars 2 in general seems to be an odd game with requirements, Ive seen gaming rigs struggle to break 40FPS, yet my friend has half the required video memory required and still hits 30FPS. My current laptop always hovers around 35FPS, I can be running at 1920x1080 at max settings or 1280x720 at minimum settings and I still get 35FPS.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I read "native OS X client." I was mainly referring to i5 and 4GB RAM. I realize the graphical requirements are the same/similar but i5 compared to C2D and double the RAM? I also realize they are not finalized.

If it's a native client, it's not a port. Should probably edit the title OP, article says it's a "mirror"/cider technology.

12. ctbear macrumors 6502a

I've heard that GW2 is very heavily CPU-bound.
    Also for anyone that already has the PC version, wants to try the Mac client but doesn't want to re-download 20GB worth of data, check this out.

13. Asdf115 macrumors newbie

Dang, still running 10.6.X and I have no intention of upgrading as of yet...guess no GW2 for me :(

14. 5bjoshua macrumors newbie

It's not a native port...it's a cider one. :(

Downloading now to have a play and see what the performance hit is like. May copy all the files across from windows to speed up the download.

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Oh... I wonder what that means for performance? Looking for reports!

16. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Okay it's a Cider port... But at least this is offered free with the Windows version! I'm gonna test it at once. Let's see what happens.

17. cullenl87 macrumors member

just wondering what's so bad about Cider? Never played a game done by them before

18. doh123 macrumors 65816

minimum requirements are based on what they want to support, not what can actually run the game. There may be certain machines Transgaming doesn't care to support so gave them higher system reqs, or any other number of things. A higher end C2D machine can probably run it fine.

native clients are ports if it was on a different platform first and then ported. Being ported does NOT mean Cider/Wineskin non-native like people seem to try to use the term for for the last couple of years. Porting just means taking a game from one platform and making it run on another platform... wether its fully native code or not.

Cider isn't native... its basically an added interface inside the app to let the Windows version of the game run... so the actual Windows version of the game is inside the app and being run through an extra layer... in theory you can kind of think of it as a built in emulator, but its not an emulator... though running a DirectX game that has to handle the graphics calls with OpenGL, it will be a bit slower than it could be if it was a fully native port.... puts extra work on the machine to run it.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So on an iffy machine, Bootcamp would be a better choice. For comparison does anyone know how Blizzard handles it's WoW Mac vs PC client?

20. Ryukouki macrumors regular

I ran some tests of my own on my Mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro. What did I observe? About 20-30 FPS in Lions Arch, and about 25 on WvW with lowest settings. Change a few things up like Anti-Aliasing and maybe medium animations and the FPS change is negligible, like -1FPS. It's actually impressive considering it has no optimization and I'm surprised that this is already being released. It's worlds ahead of Star Wars: The Old Republic though, hands down. A Mac release is a godsend! Mouse scrolling works perfectly fine on my Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX. Temperatures: I was getting about 40-50C, running iStat menus and optimizing fan control to the max, with a small fan right behind the exhaust, down from 68-80C on Bootcamp. Definitely a lot of room for improvement.

Oh, my computer specs? 2.9GHz core i7 Processor that can turbo-boost to 3.6 GHz, and HD Graphics 4000 as my graphics card. I also have a 256 GB Crucial M4 SSD.

21. antonis macrumors 68000

antonis

Blizzard's games including WoW and Diablo 2 & 3 are all native apps for each platform.

22. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

It runs on 10.6.8 people on are reporting this on the Guild Wars 2 site.

23. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My guess is that the core files are mostly the same. I've seen this with other dual platform games, like Unreal Tournament. In that case 95% of the files appeared identical. So how much more work would it be to create a native Mac port versus Cider? (rhetorical)

24. royal shrimp macrumors member

25. doh123 macrumors 65816

actually if you hadn't planned a Mac version from the start, doing a native port is a TON more work than a Cider port.