Guilty Pleasures: Movies that are so terrible you enjoy watching them

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
My #1 has to be Battlefield Earth. It's like watching a slo-mo train wreck, the predictable result of granting an egomaniac both an astronomical budget and complete creative control. I mean, what’s with the tilted camera, John?

Most Ed Wood films are fun to watch, but he is certainly not the worst filmmaker in history. A lot of obscure, micro-budget films from the 50s and 60s are as bad or worse.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Room
Armageddon
Any Roland Emmerich disaster film. I've seen The Day After Tomorrow and 2012 5 or 6 times now. I haven't watched films I adore that much.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Both Napoleon Dynamite and Idiocracy are excellent movies!
I'm watching Napoleon Dynamite again right now for the 50th time. I love this movie.

One of my favorite lines is “Napoleon, don’t be jealous ’cause I’ve been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I’m training to become a cage fighter.”

I die laughing out loud every time I hear that line.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Back to the Future and Back to the Future Two. I don't bother with the third. I usually put one of the on when hungover and need a nap on the couch.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
Damnation Alley starring George Peppard.

Hard to believe that it came out within a year or two of Starwars. For all the pisspoor effects, it was incredible to learn that the specialized hi-tech van/motor home that crossed a scorched American landscape is a real and functional vehicle. Watch out for the killer cockroaches!

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
National Treasure 1 & 2 (and hopefully 3)
The Day After Tomorrow
Twister

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Damnation Alley starring George Peppard.

Hard to believe that it came out within a year or two of Starwars. For all the pisspoor effects, it was incredible to learn that the specialized hi-tech van/motor home that crossed a scorched American landscape is a real and functional vehicle. Watch out for the killer cockroaches!
The movie was based on a book written in 1967. Check the book out if you like the movie.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I'm watching Napoleon Dynamite again right now for the 50th time. I love this movie.

One of my favorite lines is “Napoleon, don’t be jealous ’cause I’ve been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I’m training to become a cage fighter.”

I die laughing out loud every time I hear that line.
The bit where Uncle Rico knocks Napoleon off a bike with a pork chop always has me ROTFL. This is one of my favorite movies ever and I cannot accept that this is or ever was, a "terrible" movie. It's an absolute gem.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
The bit where Uncle Rico knocks Napoleon off a bike with a pork chop always has me ROTFL. This is one of my favorite movies ever and I cannot accept that this is or ever was, a "terrible" movie. It's an absolute gem.
I think the general public would think it's terrible, but I loved it. I agree it is a gem!. That scene you mentioned was great! I especially love the end where Napoleon does that dance, and then walks off the stage like the total nerd when the music stops.. Simply priceless!

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I think the general public would think it's terrible, but I loved it. I agree it is a gem!. That scene you mentioned was great! I especially love the end where Napoleon does that dance, and then walks off the stage like the total nerd when the music stops.. Simply priceless!
The end-end after the credits where Kip marries LaFawnda in a meadow and sings to her is excruciatingly painful but endearing, --saved by the white Honeymoon stallion galloping up. Agreed, this is a totally wonderful movie.