Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yeah honestly they should. That would be great. Would be nice if it starts with 512GB. Doubt it though considering the Mac Pro starts with 256GB.

The Mac Pro however is modular and most feedback from “Pros” is that they want a real bare-bones basic option so they can upgrade to the specs they want later on. The disadvantage of having 512GB or higher base in the Mac Pro is users will be paying an Apple tax for storage that they’ll be looking to upgrade themselves anyway.

In the case of the MBP, this isn’t modular so there’s more justification to have a larger base storage, especially if the starting price point is considerably higher than their other notebooks.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Whilst I've not had any 2019 keyboard failures yet - I've been burned too many times by that damn butterfly keyboard.

If they have changed that to something else, I'll jump on it - otherwise it's a pass from me. Need to see if I can get work to bypass the normal 4 year cycle for my 2015 in the office - it's still fully functional, but they want to renew it "because it's old" :(

Tuanglen

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2014
Yes, 16/15.4 is 103.8%, a bit less than 4% in diagonal length. But that equates to almost 8% more screen surface area, and apparently an even larger increase in pixels (due to greater density), so I'll be glad to have it. Much better than the "we've made it even thinner and not THAT much less useful" design ethos that has ruled for the past several years.

Whackman

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
Yes, 16/15.4 is 103.8%, a bit less than 4% in diagonal length. But that equates to almost 8% more screen surface area, and apparently an even larger increase in pixels (due to greater density), so I'll be glad to have it. Much better than the "we've made it even thinner and not THAT much less useful" design ethos that has ruled for the past several years.
Indeed. Last years it was basically "It's even thinner, more useless and more expensive. Sincerely, Jony."
Please:

Remove useless touchbar
Give us back MagSage
Give us back physical ESC key
Give us back SD Card Slot
Give us back HDMI
Add 2 USB A ports
I have that one. It's great. But it's from 2012.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
not thrilled. what about removing touch bar? what about face-id?

this will be again a minimal update for a lot of cash.

Reactions: brucebrendon

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yeah I know, just curious if there's some CPU they're waiting for, or issues with producing 14" displays or what not. Don't understand why they wouldn't update the whole range at the same time.

Tim Cook, being the supply chain optimizer guy as he is, probably has very good reasons not to upgrade all models at once.

Reactions: jlocker

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
not thrilled. what about removing touch bar? what about face-id?

this will be again a minimal update for a lot of cash.

The Touch Bar isn't going anywhere.
And FaceID isn't that important for a laptop. Any tech-savvy person with focus on security wouldn't want to use it in a corporate or business setting anyway. They would much rather want to use TouchID for security's sake. And Apple probably doesn't want to ship a laptop with FaceID AND TouchID.

A lot of corporations have strict security relating to webcams and stuff like that. Which is why TouchID is considered safer. TouchID can only read fingerprints. TouchID can't record visual stuff on a whiteboard, in a presentation, or see faces in the background (other employees).

Nobody that actually uses their computer for work in such a setting wants FaceID on their laptop, as the cameras often are taped over or covered in some way anyway.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
What about CPU? Any upgrade over the current 8 core i9 expected?

Intel doesn't have anything newer to offer at this point, so probably no.
But I'm betting that the new models will ship with AMD Vega GPU's by default, and with a BTO upgrade to AMD Navi GPU's. Just like today where the 560x ships as default, with a BTO upgrade to Vega.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Yeah honestly they should. That would be great. Would be nice if it starts with 512GB. Doubt it though considering the Mac Pro starts with 256GB.

Yes. The MacBook Pro starts with 256 GB since the retina model was introduced in 2012. Seven years later, Apple still offers the same storage in its models, despite the price drops.

And it goes without saying that 256 GB on the $6,000 Mac Pro is something Apple should be really ashamed of. Really, Apple?

Wanted797

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Australia
Please:

Remove useless touchbar
Give us back MagSage
Give us back physical ESC key
Give us back SD Card Slot
Give us back HDMI
Add 2 USB A ports

Give us back MagSage - okay I’m with you on that MagSafe was pretty good.

Give us back physical ESC key - haha not sure why but okay.

Give us back SD Card Slot - yeah that would kind of be useful but a dongle can serve the videographer/photographers.

Give us back HDMI - haha yeah Apple won’t do that.

Add 2 USB A ports - hahahaha hahahaha

Reactions: BigBoy2018

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
"Has Improved Speakers"
??? I still can't grasp how awesome and rich my 2018 MBP speakers sound like and they are improving this???

Well, competition is great right now. Apple seems to keep finding reasons to justify the premium price of Macs by adding little features that make it even better, despite very few people really benefitting from it. This stiff competition is probably another reason why Apple may not raise the prices this time, which is something that does not seem to be in line with its recent policy.

I wonder how the increased resolution and brightness will impact battery life.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Today! Today!

Can't wait to see iJustine ham it up with "OH MY GOD"

Sorry to those of you who were certain it would be 2020

oh lord no. Her bit has gotten so old. Hope she’s making bank now because it will be gone soon.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
Give us back MagSage - okay I’m with you on that MagSafe was pretty good.
Give us back SD Card Slot - yeah that would kind of be useful but a dongle can serve the videographer/photographers.

MagSafe ain't gonna happen. I understand it was a great connector, but it only had one purpose, and only worked on one device. USB-C is great in the sense that I can plug the charger into any of the ports (both sides) depending on what's best. I can also use any 3rd party charger, or docking station charger, or anything really to charge the computer. This is great! And a bigger benefit than what MagSafe gave us.

SD Card slots are becoming obsolete in the next years. So I don't see the point. Most professional cameras are going to transition to CFExpress in the next years. The change has partially already happened with XQD, and now that CFExpress is formally launching every professional camera manufacturer is gonna start moving to XQD/CFExpress. Only prosumer and consumer equipment is gonna keep on using SD cards ...

And XQD/CFExpress cards are too big to fit into an Apple laptop anyway.

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
It would be great if Apple would stop charging the same for storage upgrades as they did 5 years ago. There’s no early reason to charge $400 to upgrade from 256 gb to 1 tb storage in the year 2019.

Careful, the Tim lovers will be onto you arguing for inflation against Moore's Law.

lilkwarrior

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2017
San Francsico, CA
Wishlist for 2020 Macbook Pro to properly succeed this Macbook Pro and all the others in a way pros will flock to as a no-brainer

• 4K Dolby Vision, HLG, & HDR10+ HDR 16:10 OLED option (VESA TrueBlack 500) rated & a more expensive mini-led option for those with baseless or legitimate concerns about burn-in with their particular use cases or want similar Pro Display XDR consistent high nits.

• Dolby Atmos capable speakers

• USB4 ports, do NOT waste space w/ USB-A ports (USB4 is faster USB merged w/ Thunderbolt 3)

• HDMI 2.1 port

• 4K HDR Web Cam like Logitech has been doing for 2+ years or at least matching the iPhone 11 Pro Front-facing camera

• FaceID + TouchID available

• AR Camera

• Scissor switches return + a low-profile mechanical switch option for devs

• AMD GPU w/ Ray-tracing & Deep learning cores or Nvidia RTX options

• PCIe4 SSD

• Upgrade touchbar to be a legit 2nd screen w/ touch screen functionality like the Zenbook Pro Duo to be more useful for everyday folk, content creators, and other pros. Makes it easier to port iPad & iPhone apps to MacOS

• [Boss move but probably too cost prohibitive in 2020]: For i18n, upgrade the physical keys to be OLED keys to easily change the keyboard layout without non-canonical etched mappings.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.