Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is preparing to launch third-generation AirPods this year, and plans to release second-generation AirPods Pro next year, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

AirPods3.jpg

In line with previous leaks and rumors, Gurman explained that Apple is readying third-generation AirPods for launch later this year. The updated earbuds will apparently come with a new case and feature shorter stems, broadly mirroring the design of the current AirPods Pro.

Looking to 2022, Gurman said that the second-generation AirPods Pro will feature updated motion sensors and have a focus on fitness tracking.
The AirPods Pro coming next year will be the first change to that product since October 2019 and will include updated motion sensors with a focus on fitness tracking, the people said, asking not to be named because the plans are private.
Apple has apparently tested a smaller design that eliminates the stems on AirPods Pro. This stemless design is expected to debut on new Beats Studio Buds that are rumored to launch next month.

Apple purportedly originally planned to release the second-generation AirPods Pro in 2021, but for reasons that are unclear, the launch has been pushed back to 2022.

Moreover, Apple is said to not currently be working on a second-generation of its AirPods Max over-ear headphones, but it has discussed launching additional color options in the future.

Article Link: Gurman: AirPods Pro 2 With Fitness Tracking Coming in 2022, AirPods 3 With 'Pro' Design to Launch Later This Year

Last edited:

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
So many rumors on AirPods, AirPods Pro and Beats Studio all year, but still 0 hero rumors on Powerbeats Pro (or any other model with ear hook, which so many of us need since in ears don't stay in for many ear types. Love my Powerbeats Pro, but shortly after getting them ran into issue where often it doesnt charge in the case because doesn't seem to make full contact. I'm sure I just got a dud and since ultimately works never got replaced and have been waiting for updated models. Especially if the new case is wireless charging / usb-c.

Vangeli

Contributor
May 15, 2021
The point of fitness tracking with the AirPods is …what, exactly? The Watch surely does it better and the phone can do it if you don’t want a Watch. And if it uses up any of that precious battery life, I don’t want it. Unless it’s some sort of precursor to a head tracking AR feature, I don’t see the point.

If the Pros being delayed means they can have lossless though, then take all the time you need, Apple.

airplaneb777

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2012
So many rumors on AirPods, AirPods Pro and Beats Studio all year, but still 0 hero rumors on Powerbeats Pro (or any other model with ear hook, which so many of us need since in ears don't stay in for many ear types. Love my Powerbeats Pro, but shortly after getting them ran into issue where often it doesnt charge in the case because doesn't seem to make full contact. I'm sure I just got a dud and since ultimately works never got replaced and have been waiting for updated models. Especially if the new case is wireless charging / usb-c.
Totally agree, AirPods Pro won't stay in my ears for a half or full marathon, the Powerbeats Pro are perfect for this

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
I cannot wear regular AirPods. My ears do not like them.

The Pro would be the way to go, but I simply don't need the enormous amount of tech in them.

I use headphones to listen to music when working out, that's it. $10 buds would do.

papa8706

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
I’ve had the Gen 2 AirPods and love the convenience but have always regretted never getting the pros for ear tips, noise cancellation and perhaps the spatial audio for my Apple TV at night? Been waiting for months hoping for the AirPods Pro 2 now I’m conflicted.

Worth upgrading now to the AirPods Pro Gen 1’s now that were looking at 2022 or am I being stubborn/impatient?

Reactions: Isaiah408

filmantopia

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2010
The point of fitness tracking with the AirPods is …what, exactly? The Watch surely does it better and the phone can do it if you don’t want a Watch. And if it uses up any of that precious battery life, I don’t want it. Unless it’s some sort of precursor to a head tracking AR feature, I don’t see the point.

If the Pros being delayed means they can have lossless though, then take all the time you need, Apple.
AirPods Pro may be able track biometrics in ways the Apple Watch can not.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
Moreover, Apple is said to not currently be working on a second-generation of its AirPods Max over-ear headphones, but it has discussed launching additional color options in the future.

If Apple launch the MacBook Air successor in multiple colours (or even the M1 iMac spectrum), I expect they’ll use that pallete for any additional/new AirPods Max colourways.

Purple and yellow options could look great.

Reactions: RevTEG

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I’m not sure my AirPod Pro’s will last until next year. It will be interesting to see what the new Beats buds offer, as a stopgap for the new Pro’s - the one thing I need them to do to be in consideration, is the pressure equalization. I can’t use in-ear headphones without it.

I use my headphones 5 days a week for work, and for workouts 6 days a week, and they’ve been working great, with only the occasional disconnect during phone calls, not surprising given I have my iPhone, iPad Pro and MacBook Pro all active for most calls, so lots of competing BT signals. But I am getting some static-like effects in the left AirPod, likely from water / sweat intrusion.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Saladin12

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2021
I’ve had the Gen 2 AirPods and love the convenience but have always regretted never getting the pros for ear tips, noise cancellation and perhaps the spatial audio for my Apple TV at night? Been waiting for months hoping for the AirPods Pro 2 now I’m conflicted.

Worth upgrading now to the AirPods Pro Gen 1’s now that were looking at 2022 or am I being stubborn/impatient?

I'm in a similar camp to you minus the ownership of Gen 2 AirPods. I was on the verge of purchasing the AirPods Pro a month or so ago until I came across the rumours the Gen 2 Pros were due this year. So I held off and was willing to wait until September as I plan to upgrade my XS to the new iPhone 13 Pro Max (or whatever it's called). But I don't think I want to wait until 2022 now so will probably pick up a pair of Pros shortly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.