Gurman: Apple Aims to Release AirPower By September

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 21, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple aims to release its multi-device AirPower charging mat "before or in September," after facing a handful of technical challenges with its hardware and software, according to well-connected reporter Mark Gurman.

[​IMG]

An excerpt from his Bloomberg News story:
    Apple first previewed the AirPower alongside the iPhone X in September 2017. At the time, the company's marketing chief Phil Schiller said it would be available in 2018, as reflected on Apple's website. Pricing has not been disclosed.

Gurman says Apple engineers initially hoped for a June launch, presumably at WWDC 2018, but noted the AirPower has been delayed due to technical challenges, including the potential for overheating, complex multi-device charging circuitry, and software bugs with the accessory's on-board firmware.

AirPower is said to include a custom Apple chip running "a stripped down version of iOS" for power management and pairing with devices:
    AirPower is an oval-shaped mat that can inductively charge multiple Apple devices at once, including the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, and Apple Watch Series 3 models. It will also be able to charge AirPods when they are placed in a new, optional charging case set to launch alongside AirPower.

AirPower's ability to charge multiple devices is derived from propriety technology developed by Apple. Apple said it will work to have its technology become part of the universal Qi standard, supported by the latest iPhones, so that other third-party manufacturers can release multi-device charging mats.

AirPower is another step towards Apple's goal of a wireless future. Gurman says Apple designers eventually hope to "remove most of the external ports and buttons on the iPhone," noting Apple even considered removing wired charging from the iPhone X, but decided wireless charging was not yet fast enough.

Of course, the AirPower is not truly wireless, as power is supplied to the mat with a charger connected via Lightning cable.

Article Link: Gurman: Apple Aims to Release AirPower By September

2. Appleaker macrumors 68020

3. alex00100 macrumors 6502

4. BulkSlash macrumors member

BulkSlash

I reckon it will launch along with everything else in September. I wouldn't be surprised if the wireless AirPod case ends up being exclusive to AirPods 2 as well (as an extra incentive to upgrade).

5. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

So why announce it in September of 2017? They should have just waited until it was ready and avoid the backlash. They haven't learned their lesson...yet.

6. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

And a price?

$49 ?
    $99 ?
    $149 ?
    $199 ?
    $249 ?
    $299 ?

I'd guess between 99 and 149

7. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

The future is here now, but it’s in the future so it’s on time. Duhhh!

8. brendu macrumors 68020

I miss the days when Apple waited to announce things until they were ready to launch within a month of that announcement.

9. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Yeah September, probably the day before (or the day of) the yearly iPhone event. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ yawn

10. imgroot macrumors newbie

I had forgotten about this; assumed it just went the way of the dodo bird. Anyone who wanted an inductive charger would have purchased one by now from another vendor? I sure didn't wait around.

11. rpat701 macrumors regular

Honestly, does it really matter? It's a little late to the game.

12. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

I am soooooooooo excited. The best charger in the market is coming. Awesome!!!!!!!

13. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

As much as I like the idea of this... it's a bad look for Apple to be literally a year late with a product launch. They shouldn't have announced it last year.

14. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

September 30th. 10:00 PM

15. Expobill macrumors 6502a

16. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

But how much for the AirPod charging case?

17. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

No way below 100. I say 189

18. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

Yeah, I’d forgotten too. That’s really not good for Apple if the time between announcement and release is so long that people actually lose interest and forget

19. Attirex macrumors 6502

Bought a cheapie Anker mat for my X months ago from Amazon. Works great, I’m good.

Everyone: that’s an amazing story.

Me: it is!

20. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

It’s a wireless charger puck for God’s sake. Should have been out a year ago.

21. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 65816

H3LL5P4WN

lol not likely. They'll knock everything off of it. I switched from wired to wireless on my nightstand because they kept trying to eat the cable. Now, they knock my phone off my charging pad.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2018 ---
    I too bought Anker Power Wave chargers. With their launch coupon, so they weren't as expensive as they are now.

22. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

I was interested when it was first announced but now I have enough wireless chargers around that I don’t need it. I am curious, though, to see how much they’ll charge for it. Now, if it can charge two iPhones at the same time maybe but not if it’s ridiculously overpriced.

23. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

24. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, it has some magical feature that we don't know about. I mean, it's a charging mat.
    Yes...I know...you can place your phone, Watch, and AirPods on it to charge at the same time. Buuuut, that just doesn't seem that amazing to me. :eek: :cool:

25. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

or $289 for Rose Gold