Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on an updated Siri experience that moves away from the "Hey Siri" trigger phrase currently required to invoke the digital voice assistant hands-free, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports.

hey-siri-banner-apple.jpg

In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Gurman said that Apple is working on a way for Siri to be able to understand phrases and commands without the need to use "Hey Siri," simply saying "Siri" instead. Gurman added that the change is expected to roll out sometime in 2023 or 2024.
The company is working on an initiative to drop the "Hey in the trigger phrase so that a user only needs to say "Siri"—along with a command. While that might seem like a small change, making the switch is a technical challenge that requires a significant amount of AI training and underlying engineering work.

The complexity involves Siri being able to understand the singular phrase "Siri" in multiple different accents and dialects. Having two words—"Hey Siri"—increases the likelihood of the system properly picking up the signal.
Gurman also today reported that Apple is working to further integrate Siri into third-party services and apps to provide more context and assistance to users.

Article Link: Gurman: Apple Working On Revamped Siri Experience That Doesn't Require 'Hey Siri' Trigger Phrase

Last edited:

macmac30

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2015
I have a family that primarily uses iPhones and iPads. It’s not uncommon for there to be several iPhones and iPads in the kitchen and family room area during the hour leading up to dinner while we cook. We also have two paired OG HomePods that serve this area. It’s become laughable how useless Siri is when we want to listen to music, change the volume, add something to the shopping list, etc. And it keeps getting worse over time. It would at least be bearable if we saw improvement. We will ask SirI to play music and instead of music starting on the HomePods, an iPad starts playing. We will get music going on the HomePods and then ask Siri to change the volume and one of the iPads will blurt out “Media will play softer from now on” but the volume on the HomePods is unchanged. We will ask again, and a different iPad will respond. I have tried turning off Siri on the iPads but that causes Shortcuts that I have created to not work when spoken to the HomePods. It’s as if Apple engineers have created this huge tangled mess that even they can’t figure out. It’s almost comical, but I’m not laughing Apple. The only FEMALE in the ENTIRE house of 3 people will ask Siri to do something and Siri constantly asks her “Who’s speaking?” Apple, please get your act together. And I am totally open to suggestions to tame this beast. I’m about to throw kitchen knives at Siri when I cook!

Last edited:

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2021
Actual exchange I had last night:

Me: “Hey Siri, turn off the fan in 15 minutes”

HomePod: “I’m sorry, you must set automations at least one minute in advance”

HomePod: “I’m sorry, I’m not sure who’s speaking. Who is this?”

Me: “David”

Me: “Hey Siri, just turn off the fan”

Siri: “okay”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.