Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman today threw his weight behind rumors that the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will feature larger display sizes.

iPhone-16-Mock-Header-1.jpg

In the latest edition of his "Power On" newsletter, Gurman corroborated other reports about Apple's plan to increase the size of its two "Pro" iPhone models from 6.1- and 6.7-inches by "a couple tenths of an inch diagonally." The new display sizes would be the largest ever for the iPhone.

Gurman noted that the change will make Apple's high-end smartphones more competitive with the equivalent devices offered by Samsung. The increase could also create more internal space for improved hardware, such as camera technology and larger batteries.

In May, display analyst Ross Young said that the iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max will feature displays 6.3- and 6.9-inches in size, respectively, representing an increase of around 0.2-inches. Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and Twitter leaker "Unknownz21" then corroborated this rumor, with the latter providing alleged internal model numbers for the devices.

The two standard iPhone 16 models are not expected to see a display size increase, with the change being exclusive to the high-end models.

Article Link: Gurman Corroborates iPhone 16 Pro Display Size Increase Rumor

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I love it! You get used to the smartphone screen size after a while and start to appreciate.

The people in 2007 would be thinking there's no way in hell we'd have a nearly 7-inch phone.

2007 - 3.5-inch
2024 - 6.9-inch

View attachment 2208795
If you were to copy and paste Steve Jobs from 2007 into fall 2024 and should w him the new iPhones he probably would say, ‘Wot der Ferk!’ 😄

• Haha
Reactions: nfl46

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
You know innovation is slowing when Apple needs to slightly tweak screen sizes/ratio to differentiate from previous models

Reactions: !!!

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
don't think it will be any more of a handful as the current models. needs to be bigger to hold that bigger sensor maybe.

Reactions: JapanApple

woolypants

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2018
I can see Tim Cook now, on stage, saying, "The new iPhone 16 – now larger than ever".

And to me, it sounds a bit like a desperate move. Where can they go with the iPhone bearing in mind there's a dearth of actually innovative new features for the past five years? Why, just make it bigger.

I think what's happening, too, is that moves like this push people into polarising. Some people like big screens. So, that's cool. Some people, though, like mini phones. Quite a sizeable number of people, in fact.

All of this is wringing the last few drops out of the iPhone as a category, pending a new technology like AR/VR... In some fashion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.