Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

windowsblowsass

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2004
pa
So how do you carry around these big phones? Do the fit in your pocket? What about when you sit down and the phone is in your pocket. Or does everyone just keep in the their hand all day?
I have a regular pro, it fits in my pockets fine, I've used a pro max, still fits fine. When I bike it wants to fall out of my pockets so I put it in the bag, but everything falls out f my pockets when I bike

maximillianmj

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2023
Apple is seriously getting lazier with each year that goes by. No 120hz for standard models until 2025 is a joke, especially considering the price. Why don't they just do away with the base models if they don't include standard features? Or take off $150-200 off the price tag. Why not release iPhone 16 Pro this year, why wait another year?

Apple should consider a 2 year update if this is all we are going to get...drip feeding. For the love of god when will the update the camera setup that has essentially been here since the 11 Pro.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I’m not talking about minis. I’m just saying why make the sizes even larger. The 6” phones outsell the max.
Just because the regular size outsell the Plus/Max doesn’t mean the people who are buying the larger ones won’t like an even larger screen. I would imagine a lot of people who like phablets (like myself) are people who want their screen to be as big as possible while still being pocketable for photos/videos/books etc. I wouldn‘t mind going as large as 7 inches if Apple ever offers it.

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
I have a regular pro, it fits in my pockets fine, I've used a pro max, still fits fine. When I bike it wants to fall out of my pockets so I put it in the bag, but everything falls out f my pockets when I bike
That's why I use a fanny-pack while biking. But I find it rather absurd that I have to use a waist bag just to carry my smartphone!

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
Yep, that's what Apple do. Keep increasing the size incrementaly so that you get used to it and don't complain. This way they can claim larger battery, bigger screen. Hiw much larger do they want the phone, it's getting rediculous. There's a poont where it stops being portable and won't even fit comfortably in your pocket.
Like the proverbial frog in slowly boiling water, Apple is causing us to gradually develop arthritis in the hand, but we won't notice until it's too late!

Reactions: xpxp2002

prospervic

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2007
NYC
i’ve had a blackberry pearl, iPhone 4, iPhone 6, iPhone X, iPhone XS Max, and now iPhone 13 Pro Max and i haven’t changed anything how I use my phone.

still fits perfectly into my pockets. I even bring it in my pocket to workout with wired headphones. I’m still able to use it one handed on a subway if I want. No issue at all for me.

i never use cases so maybe that helps idk
It definitely does. I only use a case on my 14 Pro Max when attending gatherings where my wife will ask butter-fingered people to take photos of us. For me the case adds bulk that is uncomfortable and annoying.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
Fact of the matter Is far more people prefer larger phones, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with preferring a more compact phone, but at this point we've seen pretty definitively through the relative popularity of the 12 and 13 mimi as opposed to the larger phones that the vast majority of the market prefers big phones.

Giving customers what they want isn't a bad thing
......and increasing shareholders' dividends are also good.

JapanApple

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2022
Japan
So how do you carry around these big phones? Do the fit in your pocket? What about when you sit down and the phone is in your pocket. Or does everyone just keep in the their hand all day?
Or be like me and buy a nice brand-named bag to carry in the front part, smart wallet and etc.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
9to5mac got quite specific...

View attachment 2208802

So a 20:9 Aspect Ratio.

1685351742753.png

Reactions: johnyslats

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I hope they have some new UI changes to go wth those big screen sizes coz the current decade+ old icon layout needs a revamp.
Yep. Let’s innovate on how to put little squares on a little rectangle. It’s definitely the most important thing to look at in iOS.

Gotword

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2023
Fact of the matter Is far more people prefer larger phones, it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with preferring a more compact phone, but at this point we've seen pretty definitively through the relative popularity of the 12 and 13 mimi as opposed to the larger phones that the vast majority of the market prefers big phones.

Giving customers what they want isn't a bad thing
*Looks at the millions of mini users*
Sure it didnt beat the pro max sales but there is still a growing market there

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
*Looks at the millions of mini users*
Sure it didnt beat the pro max sales but there is still a growing market there
Exactly. It’s not like it was sold at a loss, either. Apple’s margins on the lowest end iPhone generally make them over $100 per sale.

Looking out even further, it wasn’t the best-selling phone on the market, but it outperformed the sales of quite a few top-selling phones from other manufacturers. LG, Samsung, or Google would’ve been thrilled to have sold as many phones as Apple was able to move of the two mini models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.