Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reiterated his expectations for new Apple products in 2022, including the iPhone 14 series, a redesigned MacBook Air with an M2 chip, an iPad Pro with wireless charging, and more.

iPhone-14-Mock-Roundup-2.5.jpg

Gurman said at least some iPhone 14 models launching later this year will feature a hole-punch display design, as we've heard from other sources like analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. A hole-punch design refers to a display with only a small circular cutout for the front camera, as seen on some Samsung smartphones. This design would result in the notch being removed and the Face ID system would likely be moved under the display.

Apple is planning a redesigned MacBook Air powered by a new M2 chip that will be "marginally faster" than the M1 chip, according to Gurman. He expects the M2 chip to have an 8-core CPU like the M1 chip with a 9-core or 10-core GPU, which would be an upgrade over the 7-core or 8-core GPU options for the current MacBook Air.

Gurman also expects a smaller Apple silicon version of the Mac Pro desktop tower to launch this year with up to a 40-core CPU and 128-core GPU, along with a new Mac mini and a new larger iMac. 2022 should be the year that Apple completes its transition from Intel processors to its own custom-designed chips in Macs, as Apple said the changeover would take around two years to be completed when it first announced its plans in June 2020.

One of Apple's biggest product launches of 2022 would be its long-rumored AR/VR headset, which Gurman said could be announced at WWDC 2022, but he cautioned that the launch timeframe for the product has been pushed back before.

Apple also plans to release a new iPhone SE with 5G, an iPad Pro with wireless charging support, a rugged version of the Apple Watch, and more in 2022, according to Gurman. Subscribe to his Power On newsletter to keep up with his latest thoughts.

Article Link: Gurman: iPhone 14 Models Without Notch, Redesigned MacBook Air With M2 Chip, and More to Launch in 2022

Last edited:

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Since NO ONE yet has, I'm calling it now, 2022 is the year of Wi-Fi 6E, which has rare, true Game Changer potential !

Would like to see macrumors add a Wi-Fi 6E section to their website.

Then, as Apple announces supported products this year, it will be easy for ALL of us to figure-out which products work well with others.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
Can’t wait to buy the iPhone 14 in September!

Hoping that the rumors of the 48 megapixel camera and the new periscope lens are true

Also planning on getting the new MacBook Air next summer- I’m glad that they’re finally adding new colors for the MacBook Air and definitely looking forward to the M2 chip as well!
Periscope is rumored to debut in 2023 though? Wasn't that the latest news

Reactions: AmazeSE and r_123

Justin Cymbal

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I hope they get rid of the camera bump. It is atrocious design. I don't believe Steve Jobs would have allowed it and I am surprised if Jony Ive did. Just make the phone a smidge thicker and remove the bump.
The phones have been getting thicker. The cameras keep getting bigger as well due to sensors. There is no choice but bigger if you want better cameras.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
"The company has a bevy of new pro Macs in the works based on the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips that are already inside the MacBook Pro. That includes a smaller Mac Pro with up to 40 CPU cores and 128 graphics cores, a new Mac mini and a large-screened iMac Pro. I’d expect Apple to finish its transition to its own silicon from Intel chips as early as June at WWDC 2022. "

Reactions: xgman

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Very hard to see M2 macbook air at or before WWDC...but who knows
Better to come late 2022 with the new v9arm arhitecture
but the gpu boost is significant nevertheless around 30-40% even with the current A15 gpu core (with v9arm could go beyond 50%)..so from here we could do the math for the 2023 M2 pro and M2 max power

u_int16

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2021
I was a notch hater, but I love how they implemented it. Basically a status bar spacer.

My gut reaction to the hole-punch is “it cant be that anymore, what will they do?”

And also: “oh god, what will app developers have to do?”

We shall see I guess!

Reactions: Bethanie21

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I also don't think Apple will give up FaceID, but the article states that the FaceID technology would be hided under the screen

I'm not a huge fan of FaceID...it has never been error free often requiring me to type in my password.

If they do manage to make it work under screen FaceID, I hope it's an improvement.

Otherwise, just give us TouchID alone or as a secondary option.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I actually don't like the hole-punch, it looks like a black zit, visually I find it a bit disturbing.

I always liked the notch, I think it looks a lot better and I never understood the negativity around it (on new MacBooks especially). Personally, I would like to have a (maybe smaller) notch until they can put everything behind the screen.

But ok, I'll wait to see it, first.

I'm not a huge fan of FaceID...it has never been error free often requiring me to type in my password.

If they do manage to make it work under screen FaceID, I hope it's an improvement.

Otherwise, just give us TouchID alone or as a secondary option.

This is another (admittedly very popular) opinion that I never understood.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Can’t wait to buy the iPhone 14 in September!

Hoping that the rumors of the 48 megapixel camera and the new periscope lens are true

Also planning on getting the new MacBook Air next summer- I’m glad that they’re finally adding new colors for the MacBook Air and definitely looking forward to the M2 chip as well!

Sure, but I hope Apple provides one neutral colour in the MacBook Air lineup.

Black, Space Grey, Silver, or White...pick one.
Actually an all-white would be my choice.

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
Also from Mark G
"I strongly believe [Apple will launch a new external monitor for its latest Macs.] (…) At this point, the cost of building that monitor has likely come down, and with a few tweaks and perhaps a slight drop in brightness, Apple might be able to get to a similar quality monitor (at a slightly smaller size) at perhaps about half the price. By the way, it’s still hilarious that Apple tried to justify the current monitor’s price by comparing it to a $43,000 Hollywood-grade reference monitor. "

So next year will be more about the mac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.