Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I hope they get rid of the camera bump. It is atrocious design. I don't believe Steve Jobs would have allowed it and I am surprised if Jony Ive did. Just make the phone a smidge thicker and remove the bump.

First of all, they won't be able to get rid of it - because physics. Not anytime soon, anyway, not if they want to have thin phones and good cameras.

Second, Steve Jobs would have allowed it - again, because physics.

Third, "Steve Jobs would never allow it" became a substitute for "I don't like it" at this point.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
But will the people who hate the notch be satisfied with the hole punch?

No.

Let me put it this way, if Apple put the camera and Face ID under the screen, added a Touch ID sensor under the screen and also had your iPhone recognize you telephatically and unlock as soon as you even had a thought you want to unlock your phone - some people here would not be satisfied.

SirGreenLemon

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2022
Tbh, especially with the iPhone 13 the notch is barely even noticeable any more. If there was a kind of pill shaped cutout the screen area they gain is marginal. Only way they can get rid of that notch for good is by putting the sensors under the display somehow. I don't think they are ready to take that step yet for several reasons.

Even if they do the cutout it won't be a gigantic selling point in my opinion. They need something else on top to make this a top selling product that also speaks to the upgrade crowd.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Watch apple pull a fast one and squeeze one more year out of the smaller notch. They got 3 years of the original notch. Why not bank on another year of the smaller notch and sell you the 15 with the hole punch.

They'll also make the airs with that stupid pastel color line up. They'll tease you with the better, darker color accent on the back of the machine though.

Sorry I didn't have my coffee yet.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Gurman also expects a smaller Apple silicon version of the Mac Pro to launch this year with up to a 40-core CPU and 128-core GPU, along with a new Mac mini and a new larger iMac. 2022 should be the year that Apple completes its transition from Intel processors to its own custom-designed chips in Macs, as Apple said the changeover would take around two years to be completed when it first announced its plans in June 2020.

The last three Intel holdouts in the Mac lineup, all mid-to-highend models; so the ASi variants could be:
  • M1 Pro/Max Mac mini
  • M1 Pro/Max 27" iMac
  • M1 Max Duo 32" iMac Pro
  • M1 Max Duo/Quadra Mac Pro Cube

Last edited:

MayaUser

Suspended
Nov 22, 2021
The last three Intel holdouts in the Mac lineup, all mid-to-highend models; so obviously the ASi variants will have M1 Pro/Max Single/Dual/Quad SoCs in them...!

The interesting thing will be to see if there are M1 Max Duo variants for the Mac mini & the 27" iMac models...?
maybe, it all depends if they can make the cooling good for Duo M1 Max inside the mac mini and imac
If not...they will keep the same way as the Macbooks pro
Because its clear for duo m1 pro or max...the imac needs bigger vents than they are inside the 16" MBP...and the 24" are very small in the chin...and i dont think even with a larger chin there is room...so...they can go 2 ways
1) Same design but with 30% larger fans inside the 27" chin and they go with M1 pro and M1 max
2) Place the motherboard like always behind the screen for duo M1 pro/max (but this is very poor design as it was with the intel ones, dust display, heated display etc)
or my favourite
3) Wait until armv9 to fall and place 1 M pro or M max based on the new archictecure...and with the new gpu core

Last edited:

Crownjewels

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
I have owned the X (still have it as a backup device) and then the 11 PRO, 12 Pro, and now the 13 Pro. I truly wish Apple would continue to make the iPhone Mini and equip it with the same camera and features of the Pro models. I really like the size of the smaller phone.
I traded in the 11 and 12 Pro models, it should be noted.

Reactions: ikir

Crownjewels

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2021
But will the people who hate the notch be satisfied with the hole punch?
You asked the same question I was going to post. My guess is they will still complain and say "why couldn't they eliminate the hole" etc. People are never satisfied but that's life...... lol

Reactions: KeithBN

emulator

macrumors 6502a
No.

Let me put it this way, if Apple put the camera and Face ID under the screen, added a Touch ID sensor under the screen and also had your iPhone recognize you telephatically and unlock as soon as you even had a thought you want to unlock your phone - some people here would not be satisfied.
The question was "the same people" not some people.

There's not one thing in the world that everyone likes. Majority of ppl, probably, but never all of them.

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
I’m glad there’s people who are not bothered by the notch but for me is the only thing I hate about my iPhone. All I want is a real edge to edge screen. I wanna be able to watch a video in landscape without the ugly notch getting in the way. I guess a hole punch would be okay for now.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Also from Mark G
"I strongly believe [Apple will launch a new external monitor for its latest Macs.] (…) At this point, the cost of building that monitor has likely come down, and with a few tweaks and perhaps a slight drop in brightness, Apple might be able to get to a similar quality monitor (at a slightly smaller size) at perhaps about half the price. By the way, it’s still hilarious that Apple tried to justify the current monitor’s price by comparing it to a $43,000 Hollywood-grade reference monitor. "

So next year will be more about the mac

Ok cool... so $3,000 with a stand instead of $6,000 with a stand.

?

• Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
what, no re-designed watch? come one Gurman ...
nothing we haven't heard yet ...
It’s almost like Gurman wanted to do a newsletter post including news that isn’t necessarily new — maybe a “roundup,” if you will — of what to expect from Apple in 2022, given that the calendar year recently switched to 2022.

Or something.

Reactions: jz0309

PhilMacbook

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2018
Britain
First of all, they won't be able to get rid of it - because physics. Not anytime soon, anyway, not if they want to have thin phones and good cameras.

Second, Steve Jobs would have allowed it - again, because physics.

Third, "Steve Jobs would never allow it" became a substitute for "I don't like it" at this point.

"Third, "Steve Jobs would never allow it" became a substitute for "I don't like it" at this point" - only in your opinion

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I wanna be able to watch a video in landscape without the ugly notch getting in the way.

What videos are you watching?

For normal 16:9 content... the video doesn't come anywhere close to the notch. Neither does the more trendy 2:1

But if you're one of those monsters who zooms the video to where it goes under the notch... and therefore also cuts off the top and bottom of the video... that's your fault.

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.