Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest edition of his Power On newsletter today, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman outlined his expectations for new Apple products this year.

iMac-Pro-2022-27-and-24-iMac.jpg

Gurman reiterated that Apple is planning to launch a third-generation iPhone SE with 5G and a faster chip, a new iPad Air, and at least one new Mac powered by Apple silicon this spring, with an Apple Event likely to take place in March or April.

The new iPhone SE is expected to have the same outward design as the current model, including a 4.7-inch display with a Touch ID home button.

Japanese blog Mac Otakara recently reported that Apple is planning to release a fifth-generation iPad Air as early as this spring with similar features as the sixth-generation iPad mini, including an A15 Bionic chip, 12-megapixel Ultra Wide front camera with Center Stage support, 5G for cellular models, and Quad-LED True Tone flash.

Gurman expects Apple to launch a larger iMac powered by the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips this year, and he believes this computer will have iMac Pro branding and a similar design as the 24-inch iMac released last year. A high-end Mac mini configuration powered by the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips is also expected to be released this year.

Gurman said that Apple is planning a "big update" to the AirPods Pro later this year, with oft-accurate analyst Ming-Chi Kuo having previously claimed that a launch is planned for the fourth quarter of 2022.

Gurman and Bloomberg's Debby Wu have previously reported that Apple has tested a more compact design for the second-generation AirPods Pro that would eliminate the stems that drop below the earbuds. If this ends up being the final design, the new AirPods Pro could look similar to Apple's Beats Studio Buds released last year.

beats-studio-buds-red.jpg

Gurman and Wu also claimed the new AirPods Pro will feature motion sensors for fitness tracking capabilities alongside the Apple Watch.

According to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the new AirPods Pro will have a "significantly upgraded" wireless chip compared to the H1 chip in the current AirPods Pro. The chip powers audio-related functions like active noise cancellation, and improvements to this technology could result in improved battery life for longer listening time per charge. Kuo also expects the new AirPods Pro to support lossless audio available through Apple Music.

The new AirPods Pro charging case will be able to emit a sound to help users find it when misplaced, according to Kuo. It is likely that the next AirPods Pro will also have a water-resistant charging case, like the third-generation AirPods charging case.

Article Link: Gurman: Redesigned iMac Pro, New AirPods Pro, and More to Launch This Year

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
This is a HUGE year for me, updates-wise.

iPad Pro redesign
AirPods Pro 2
Large M1 iMac (Pro?)
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Apple Watch redesign too?

I’m ready for all of it. Really a “Pro” year actually… ?

Reactions: NotTooLate

danakin

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Toronto
I think a quick lookup for the definition of "sarcasm" is in order... ?

Good advice :)
I did exactly that.

noun
  1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
  2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark
I don't see how the original quote "the dude is literally Nostradamus." is harsh, bitter derision, or irony. It's also not a taunt or a cutting remark. If anything, it was meant in a complimentary manner.

The word "literally" is misused virtually everywhere these days... I'll leave it at that.

MedRed

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
This is a HUGE year for me, updates-wise.

iPad Pro redesign
AirPods Pro 2
Large M1 iMac (Pro?)
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Apple Watch redesign too?

I’m ready for all of it. Really a “Pro” year actually… ?
That was my last year.
iPad Pro redesign ✅
M1 MacBook Pro ✅
iPhone 13 Pro ✅
Apple Watch Series 7 ❌ Not enough change from prior year

Corsig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I think a quick lookup for the definition of "literally" is in order...
I think a quick lookup for the definition of "literally" is in order...
Good advice :)
I did exactly that.

noun
  1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.
  2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark
I don't see how the original quote "the dude is literally Nostradamus." is harsh, bitter derision, or irony. It's also not a taunt or a cutting remark. If anything, it was meant in a complimentary manner.

The word "literally" is misused virtually everywhere these days... I'll leave it at that.
I think a quick lookup for the definition of "virtually" is in order... Let's keep it going...

• Haha
Reactions: amartinez1660

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
That was my last year.
iPad Pro redesign ✅
M1 MacBook Pro ✅
iPhone 13 Pro ✅
Apple Watch Series 7 ❌ Not enough change from prior year
Yeah I hear ya. I REALLY wanted last year’s iPad Pro, but figured there would be a design change coming and maybe a larger one? So I figured I’d wait for this year.

I also get a Watch every year, but was disappointed by the lack of redesign. 8 is my favorite number so I think this year is gonna be a great update.

Reactions: SFjohn and MedRed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.