Gurman: WWDC 2018 to Have Software Focus, New Macs, iPad Pros, and Larger-Screen Apple Watches Coming Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 31, 2018.

1. kazmac macrumors 604

kazmac

Software only? Makes sense, but it would be nice to have some kind of Mac announcement too.

2. wigby macrumors 68000

The delays are always due to Apple because they are making the choice to go with new or old Intel chips. But
    It's more of an industry trend than just Apple but I agree it is problematic. I don't care if Apple admits to anything but I do want them to address the problem since they are considered a luxury brand and so their customers shouldn't have to pay for their R&D and mistakes. iOS 12 is step in that direction. They seem to be "admitting" to past bugs and slowing down the feature release cycle to address those bugs.

3. geromi912 macrumors regular

The sad thing is BOTH hardware and software of Apple is now a mess

4. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I still don't see how they're going to do 90-120 minutes on "bug fixes". There has to be more than that.

If they did introduce iOS apps for Mac, that could take up some time and be something worthwhile.

5. laz232 macrumors 6502

The Mac Mini is clearly not important because they have let it languish for years - the only changes have made, made it less useful for anyone...

Mac Pro was too little too late (except for a very narrow range of Pros) and there is still no replacement - that alone shows they don't care about the Pro market - and that's ok, but be honest so that pros can plan to migrate over (especially after the disaster that was Final Cut X).

They dropped their (semi) pro Aperture, so that don't care about that pro market.

The Macbook Pro focus on thinness and a touchbar over battery life and ports. The latter two are important aspects for the engineeres and even the business people in the companies I work with (requiring a bag of dongles is a step backwards). I need a laptop for my work, but the step from a 2013 to a 2017 rMBP is hardly compelling as they are severely compromised in terms of their choice of CPU whilst they've increased the price by a significant factor. I can afford any laptop - but I don't like feeling like TC is taking me for a ride...

I won't go into the law enforcement aspect, but I have it on good authority that there are a lot of more recent convenient "mistakes" (dropping number of rounds for hashing etc) and the push to iCloud (over local backups) which is most definitely not secure (by design).

People bitched and moaned because there releases are no longer compelling. The 2011 MBA and 2012/2013 rMBP releases were fantastic - good machines with good value for money. That has been lacking for years now and the new releases are all severely compromised (Macbook One - with ONE USB port that also is needed to charge the anemic machine. Instead we get new programming languages (Swift), some new iTunes integration, music services, TV shows and services, iPad "Pros", Pencils that are arbitrarily limited to iPad Pros for market reasons - Apple knows how to follow the money, but TC is lying when he says he cares about the Pro market, because I have seen no indication of that since 2013...

6. Askinas macrumors member

Yep WWDC is about software.

7. sdf macrumors regular

sdf

Didn't it used to be more like this, where notifications were sorted by type instead of time? I really want mine to remain sorted by time.

8. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

I was really hoping for an iPad with face ID this June . But I guess it ain't happening.

9. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Not really, usually they will only refresh once Intel has released the latest CPUs. However that was not the cause for delays for the previous 2 refreshes, and it isn’t the reason this year.

10. scouser75 macrumors 65816

Yes. Previously you could sort by type. But as Apple knows best, they thought we didn't want this so removed it.

As for date order - isn't that how it is now? Date and time order?

11. wigby macrumors 68000

Refreshing the CPU is just one of many possibilities. Apple can choose to change pricing, add RAM, ports or completely redesign their Macs around the same old CPU. They usually do not. Apple can blame Intel all they want, but they have trained their own customers to ignore the horsepower under the hood and evaluate Apple products solely on the user experience. Intel might have let everyone down but the fault always lies at Apple's feet.

12. MandiMac macrumors 6502a

Hey, maybe we see some updates to Time Machine to take full advantage of APFS?

13. TailsToo macrumors member

TailsToo

Sadly, yes, I am looking at the TB MBP - that TouchBar adds too much to the cost while adding little to the value.

14. KPOM macrumors G5

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

This is actually false. The AirPods were announced during fall 2016 and slated for An October release, which was one month after the Keynote. Then, they were initially delayed without reason why and then eventually released December 13, 2016, Which Only in theory was two months after the fact.