Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
macartistkel said:
Well I have tried to skim through this thread and get the details before giving my opinion...at first I thought you should WAIT before asking her out on a date because of just getting out of a relationship so soon but then I saw where she only dated the other guy a month, and personally I don't even call that hardly enough time for two people to have even said anything about being monogamous or committed yet in first the place so obviously no worries about rebound.

Well then my question would be HAS SHE GIVEN YOU ANY signs that she would be interested in YOU more than a friend?? Trust me, WOMEN ALWAYS give the man at least a hint if they are interested in anything more than a friend or they mention something to one of their friends about you at least. ;) If not, go with your gut feeling....I don't see how it would wreck a friendship this early on :confused: and even if she says she doesn't want to be more than friends, then just DON'T ever push the issue and you guys will be back to normal in no time! And if there is a chance, it might just take some time for her to develop the same feelings. Either way, don't make a huge deal out of it now---just stay cool!

JMO! :)

Well, its hard to tell what are signs and what aren't. But I'm just gona try to keep it casual and if she just wants to remain friends then im cool with that.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
WELL YOU KNOW WHAT...THROW EVERYTHING I SAID AWAY or anyone else says away. Its an individual thing and you NEVER KNOW what people are going to do these days!!! I just found out that one of my friends is getting MARRIED and she has only known the guy for TWO MONTHS and SHE JUST ENDED A 6 year relationship with her boyfriend TWO MONTHS ago. The date has been set for May and I am just in utter shock right now. I wish the best of luck to her but this is about the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.......

Oh wait, hearing that someone wanted a 50's wedding and the bridesmaids to wear poodle shirts while asking America to pay for it was one of the dumbest things I thought I had heard today but now this tops it! Oh well, nothing surprises me anymore!

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
CoMpX said:
This is very true, but idk. I want this one! lol

it's human nature ... we want what we think we can't have ...

but i've made the mistake and i've gotten taken for a ride ... and the ride sucks ... believe me ... but if you want to make the mistake yourself ... --- well i can't jump through the screen to slap you ;) ...

good luck

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
revenuee said:
it's human nature ... we want what we think we can't have ...

but i've made the mistake and i've gotten taken for a ride ... and the ride sucks ... believe me ... but if you want to make the mistake yourself ... --- well i can't jump through the screen to slap you ;) ...

good luck

Thanks for all of your advice, and everyone else's too. I guess I'll just have to take everything everyone said into consideration and make up a plan of my own. Going to school, I'll talk to you guys later. ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I would not say anything about 'liking her' for a while. seriously leave it weeks. but say nice things, compliment her. if she starts complimenting you then keep going. if she doesn't then slow down a bit. you're going to have to gauge her reaction to all this so I recommend either caffeine or lots of sleep, its wide awake time for you mate!

Analyse everything she says... be sure to follow anything she says with the perfect response. if she has any interest in you this will be her test drive moment. seeing how you react to things or what your opinion is on whatever. if she loves animals and she asks what you think about fox hunting (hey! it can happen), don't say "oh those foxes are vermin!" just have a go between of your own opinion and what she wants to hear, but don't lie to yourself. just act, or better still be, understanding to everything.

I say this because in a rather sit-com style moment some years ago, a girl asked me what I thought about fox hunting as it used to happen around here and was a major issue in the day. I just went on about how the hunters are @£$533 and they should be hunted. turns out she used to go hunting with her dad :D

just be good. if you feel that there is a future, i mean REALLY feel for both of you then go ahead. start seeing each other at night. go to the cinema etc. each time make them more romantic if she seems to like it.

perhaps.

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
jsw said:
It really is sad that, on a Mac forum, absolutely no men, ever, flirt with you, KT. Geez, if only some of them would.... :rolleyes:

I'll volunteer...

"Hey there KT, has anyone ever told you that your Powerbook really brings out that twinkle in your eyes." ;)

I'm all :eek: now.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
CoMpX said:
OK, I need some advice. Here is what's up: my friend Katya got dumped by her BF on Friday, and she has already let it go on Saturday morning. Now we are best friends, and we are the first to know everything about each other. We went to the Garden State Plaza grand opening for the Apple store today, and I just recently realized that I like her, so how do I approach this? Do I tell her now? What to do?

When in doubt, quote Ferrel.

"I'm just going to throw this out there. If you like it, take it. If not, send it right on back...I want to be on you".

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Well beyond the realization that there could be a need for 1-900-grl-help. I'd say go for it. Just be sure you are serious. You don't want to get into that whole friends-who-got-serious-but-didn't-work-out-so-it-got-weird-in-a-sitcom-way type situation.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
If I were you, I'd just tell her that since you're both single, why not hang out on valentines together, as friends. No big deal, it'll be better than being alone. Get her something small, like some chocolates. Be slightly flirty, playing on the valentines theme.

If she's hanging with some friends, then see if you can all go as a group, since it's not a date anyway. Worst case scenario, you can mack on her friends ;)

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
MarkCollette said:
If I were you, I'd just tell her that since you're both single, why not hang out on valentines together, as friends. No big deal, it'll be better than being alone. Get her something small, like some chocolates. Be slightly flirty, playing on the valentines theme.

If she's hanging with some friends, then see if you can all go as a group, since it's not a date anyway. Worst case scenario, you can mack on her friends ;)

Hey thats a really great idea. I already got her what our school called a "candy gram". It comes with a bear...and I sent one to her.

I just asker her if she wanted to hang out on Valentines Day and she said sure. We were talking about homework and then I said:

Me: hey..i was wondering...
Her: yeh
Me: what ru doing on valentines day? since we're both single..lol...u wanna hang out?
Me: just as like friends?
Her: awww um
Her: lol
Her: sure
Me: lol...ok

Your thoughts?

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
CoMpX said:
Hey thats a really great idea. I already got her what our school called a "candy gram". It comes with a bear...and I sent one to her.

I just asker her if she wanted to hang out on Valentines Day and she said sure. We were talking about homework and then I said:

Me: what ru doing on valentines day? since we're both single..lol...u wanna hang out?

Your thoughts?

i think it has disaster written all over it

but then again i don't date my friends friend never mind my own friends

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
CoMpX said:

Your thoughts?

If you really said that you totally dropped the ball.

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
revenuee said:
i think it has disaster written all over it

but then again i don't date my friends friend never mind my own friends

WOW, thanks...why do you say that?

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
pseudobrit said:
If you really said that you totally dropped the ball.

Oy...what u mean?

EDIT: Oh I see u bolded "just as like friends"....well idk why i said that...i don't think she wold have really analyzed that...I hope...but I don't think it means anything. I was just saying...cuz doesn't it sound kinda ...yea...to just ask her to hang out on Valentines Day? I wanted to let her know I didn't think or it as a date.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
CoMpX said:
Oy...what u mean?

EDIT: Oh I see u bolded "just as like friends"....well idk why i said that...i don't think she wold have really analyzed that...I hope...but I don't think it means anything. I was just saying...cuz doesn't it sound kinda ...yea...to just ask her to hang out on Valentines Day? I wanted to let her know I didn't think or it as a date.

And that's why she won't. And if she doesn't see it as a date, she won't think of you as boyfriend material. You nearly totally locked yourself into the friend zone with that line.

You took the easy way out by not putting any pressure on her. You need to get her to a point where she has to make a yes or no call on dating you. You can't ease into this or it will go wrong.

At the very least, she seemed uncomfortable with your proposition. If you were bold this may not have been the case, but you were timid and half-assed it, so now she doesn't know what to think.

You need to suck it up, tuck in your pride and put yourself on the line.

Ever hear the story about the guy with two black eyes? A woman in a bar asks him where he got two shiners and he tells her "every time I see an attractive woman I ask her if she wants to go to bed with me", to which the woman replys, "Wow, you must get punched in the face a lot." His retort: "Yes, but I get laid a lot too."

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
pseudobrit said:
And that's why she won't. And if she doesn't see it as a date, she won't think of you as boyfriend material. You nearly totally locked yourself into the friend zone with that line.

You took the easy way out by not putting any pressure on her. You need to get her to a point where she has to make a yes or no call on dating you. You can't ease into this or it will go wrong.

At the very least, she seemed uncomfortable with your proposition. If you were bold this may not have been the case, but you were timid and half-assed it, so now she doesn't know what to think.

Ever hear the story about the guy with two black eyes? A woman in a bar asks him where he got two shiners and he tells her "every time I see an attractive woman I ask her if she wants to go to bed with me", to which the woman replys, "Wow, you must get punched in the face a lot." His retort: "Yes, but I get laid a lot too."

I see, crap....uugghh. Maybe I should just give up. *sighs*

CoMpX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
New Jersey
pseudobrit said:
That would be quitting while you're ahead. I'm not sure if you're yet up to the enormous task of breaking the friendship barrier down.

I agree. The friendship is really strong, and idk if she or even I want to risk it.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
CoMpX said:
I see, crap....uugghh. Maybe I should just give up. *sighs*

yes enjoy the night out AS friends ...

as someone said ... you've solidified it ...

told you dude ... BAD idea from the very beginning ... strangers -- that's where it's at my friend ...

not to mention any guy that wants a relationship is pretty much doomed from the very beginning ...

you here the stories, and there are a few on this site that have claimed it to be, that friend hooking up was great ... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

but the reality is girls like to be romanced, challenged ... if you're offering her everything already then you've shown her all your cards ... there is no chase anymore.

GO MEET OTHER GIRLS

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
pseudobrit said:

Uhh, they're in high school, right? I think you guys are projecting adult relationship issues into a situation where they don't apply. They're going to be together in classes for a while together. That's not a situation where making it or breaking it is conducive. And they've already been friends for a while, so if he's in the "Friend Zone", then he's already there. Also, he doesn't know how she feels about him. If he had a better idea, then he could weigh the options, and possibly go bold. But he doesn't know, so he can play the rogue-ish friend and feel it out. And, at least he acted, and secured valentines with her. That's better than agonising over a decision, and that time passing by. Hell, someone else could have asked her.

And giving advice, on how to act, to a minor, based on how some man-slut would operate in a bar... :rolleyes:

Anyways, CoMpX, they do have a point. There's a time for boldness, and when it comes, you have to step up to the plate. Just don't be a whiny fool with your heart on your sleeve, asking her questions. Be bold with actions. Start with some friendly physical touching, like touching the shoulder when saying hi. Move to more familiar touching, like if you're walking somewhere, don't just say "this way", but guide her with your arm. Or when you're sitting and talking, move in a little closer than usual. And if you're laughing at a joke, pat her leg.

The whole point isn't to ask her what she wants, but to be a man, and pursue her in a way that's non-threatening, but assured and stimulating. If she's only in the frame of mind that you're a friend, then she'll see it as very friendly contact, and might seem uncomfortable. But, if she warms to your touch, then keep stepping it up a notch, slowly. Remember, you don't have to be kissing in 5 minutes, but 2 hours will do :)

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
revenuee said:
yes enjoy the night out AS friends ...

as someone said ... you've solidified it ...

told you dude ... BAD idea from the very beginning ... strangers -- that's where it's at my friend ...

not to mention any guy that wants a relationship is pretty much doomed from the very beginning ...

you here the stories, and there are a few on this site that have claimed it to be, that friend hooking up was great ... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

but the reality is girls like to be romanced, challenged ... if you're offering her everything already then you've shown her all your cards ... there is no chase anymore.

GO MEET OTHER GIRLS

Wow! Or you could be encouraging, instead of all doom and gloom. Or at least wait until after valentines to weigh in with all the I told you sos.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
MarkCollette said:
And giving advice, on how to act, to a minor, based on how some man-slut would operate in a bar... :rolleyes:

My advice is not for man sluts though it may work for them too. Man sluts nearly exclusively operate on a physical attraction coefficient. We're not telling him how to do his hair or dress, are we?

Anyways, CoMpX, they do have a point. There's a time for boldness, and when it comes, you have to step up to the plate. Just don't be a whiny fool with your heart on your sleeve, asking her questions. Be bold with actions. Start with some friendly physical touching, like touching the shoulder when saying hi...

That's a bad idea. If she's not in that frame of mind it would freak her out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.