Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Russian prison.

You don't want to end up in Russian prison. It's a whole different animal from prison in most Western countries.

It's just something that is enough of a deterrence to keep me out of Russia even though I'm a totally law abiding citizen who has Moscow on his bucket list.

suns93

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2017
I wonder how much MR and other rumor sites are to blame for these sort of companies/groups popping up. Fueling the fire.
I see zero culpability. It’s not as if these hackers would have no other outlet if the rumor sites didn’t exist.

In my opinion, if you place blame on the rumor sites for these actions, then you’d have to blame all news media as fueling the fire of any illegal activities they report on. And the implications in the rest of media (people committing violent acts for their 15 seconds of fame) are clearly far worse than computer schematics.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I see zero culpability. It’s not as if these hackers would have no other outlet if the rumor sites didn’t exist.

In my opinion, if you place blame on the rumor sites for these actions, then you’d have to blame all news media as fueling the fire of any illegal activities they report on. And the implications in the rest of media (people committing violent acts for their 15 seconds of fame) are clearly far worse than computer schematics.
100%. It’s not like MR paid the hackers a substantial amount of money to get access to the schematics. The schematics and leaks were already public. And it’s an Apple-related rumors site. The fault is not on MR, it is on people who steal this information.

Next: FBI raids MR podcast with Prosser ... LOL
Leakers beware, Apple is out to get you ...
Apple is definitely not playing games anymore. It all started last year when things started to get serious. Remember when they send out a legal enforcement letter to Kang. Looks like Apple is cracking the whip.

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe

Serious forums or news stations have therefore installed internal mechanisms, which is a good thing, because as a broadcaster you don't just address reasonable people. In the age of the Internet, this degrades just as quickly as there are more and more hate stations in the world that live off sensation and click rates.

Whereas this time I think MR is acting absolutely good.

100%. It’s not like MR paid the hackers a substantial amount of money to get access to the schematics. The schematics and leaks were already public. And it’s an Apple-related rumors site. The fault is not on MR, it is on people who steal this information.
Good point! We should ask an attorney about this. Any thoughts on this? @LawJolla

Reactions: Morgenland

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
I agree, anyone that thinks this is the real story, needs to go back to living with momma and get your treat for this mornings good behavior.

I don't care if the story in any detail is right. It's a sensible story that hopefully works.
Some of it comes across as a bit droll, sure.
The fact that you might know better immediately as a wiser 'life-experienced' ;) man is not a unique achievement.
Certain characters like to do that, often without pause for thought.

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
And that folks is exactly the problem.

Nope. Reality is something very very complex.
Any best action in this world is always a compromise (which disregards some things), it cannot be simpler.
Unfortunately.
There is a whole discipline that has been seriously dealing with this question for centuries or millennia: philosophy.

nt5672, grab a few books and you will see how difficult it is to act responsibly.

Of course, the Russians should not kick the hoes in the balls, or put bundles of money in a drawer (a bit silly stage assessoire, I think); but that does not make their arrest a wrong act overall.

Everything you don't experience yourself is theater. And even you always recognize only a fraction in your environment. That is just the way it is.
Currently, there are many young people who rebel against established realities, in the mistaken assumption that they are smarter and understand the background better in order to then storm off eagerly and loudly.

Maybe I was like that once, too.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: imnotthewalrus

JEY

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2021

I don't think MR should be prosecuted - however, I don't think your parallel to news media sharing violent acts is valid (even though what news media does is severely problematic). Sharing illegally (or imo unethically) obtained documents is not okay - it gives a market to the criminals and bad seed attention seekers.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
The FSB domestic intelligence service said that they seized 426 million roubles, $600,000, 500,000 euros, computer equipment, and 20 luxury cars. I wonder how much of their "earnings" that represents.

The group members are said to each face up to seven years in prison. It may be a white-color crime, but they could be back on the streets before we know it.
Doubtful. They got busted because they wouldn't give President for Life Putin his cut.
tl;dr: don't mess with Apple

These guys have been going for years without anything being done against them. They mess with Apple once and next thing you know they get rolled up
In other words, Apple made some generous donations to Putin and it bore fruit.?

• Disagree
Reactions: usagora

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe
They forget to pay Putin his cut? This is really rather odd that a Russian hacker was actually arrested in Russia, by Russians. Hmm...

What does Putin have to do with it? (I don't think much of any populist).

We are not in cinema here!
One should never combine cine fantasy with a claim to reality.

It's amazing how many perceived background assumptions most people have.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
They're 100% to blame and should be prosecuted. Then leaks and hacks can finally stop.
No, the leak will not stop unless apple is completely owned and operated without human interference. And hacks are happening everywhere around us, we just don’t know if we have been targeted.
What great world we live in. Now back to your VR games everyone, nothing else to see here in the real world!
In the future Apple can delete scenes they don’t want us to see, and because people uses same VR set from Apple, they have their own alternative reality compared to android folks.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
No, the leak will not stop unless apple is completely owned and operated without human interference. And hacks are happening everywhere around us, we just don’t know if we have been targeted.

In the future Apple can delete scenes they don’t want us to see, and because people uses same VR set from Apple, they have their own alternative reality compared to android folks.

It was a joke, responding to someone suggesting MR has blame on this. Of course they won't stop, they don't leak it for fun so MR can pick up the story. Unless MR payed the hackers to get the schematics, which I'm sure it's not the case.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
What does Putin have to do with it? (I don't think much of any populist).

We are not in cinema here!
One should never combine cine fantasy with a claim to reality.

It's amazing how many perceived background assumptions most people have.
it's a typical reflex. russia — hacker, vodka, balalaika, bear, putin, matreshka, perestroika, mail order bride.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015

I mean yeah that does make sense, but it’s not an exact comparison. I mean these rumor sites were born because of rumors. It’s literally in the name lol. Yeah now they report on other things like news and feature releases but still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.