Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zin

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2010
United Kingdom
The ripping process, which has been going on for months:

Lots of security holes here, including weak password reset verification questions.

Immediately logged into my Apple ID to fortify my security settings after this. There were 2 devices still authorised to receive 2-step ID's that I no longer own.

You never know.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The lesson here: everyone should enable 2-factor authentication for your Apple ID, and Apple should step up and have this it be on by default.

Again, having 2 factor authentication on does not matter. You can access iCloud backups without a need to authenticate other than with a username/password. This is the whole problem. Apple 2-factor authentication has serious loopholes because they don't always require it.

----------

But they would not be able to get your password if you have 2-step verification in place. So if you have it enabled, they should not be able to get your password. So they should not be able to get your backup.

Again, not true. As has been reported in many places, some of Apple's servers allowed brute force password attacks and did not lock you out. So all a hacker really needed as a username and they could run a script to figure out the password.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2005
Screen grabs are what the scripts do

The scripts are very powerful. They basically give the criminal an over the sholder view of what the user is doing.

There should be a way of preventing this type of attack but let's let Apple get some help on this one.

After all they don't write the underlying UNIX stuff.

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
Again, having 2 factor authentication on does not matter. You can access iCloud backups without a need to authenticate other than with a username/password. This is the whole problem. Apple 2-factor authentication has serious loopholes because they don't always require it.

----------

Again, not true. As has been reported in many places, some of Apple's servers allowed brute force password attacks and did not lock you out. So all a hacker really needed as a username and they could run a script to figure out the password.

If you already got the password, even 2 factor authentication does not help.
It just another password called security code: It's constant
And it's worst because people keep a copy of it.

Or do you want to check you phone for the code for every iTunes purchase you do, every find my iPhone function, open every iCloud-supported software (Including but not limited to iWork, Photos, iLife), and every Photo you take?
I mean, we can do that as opt in, but no one will use it until its too late.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan

----------

So the real problem is this brute force attack. Making the verification pop up on every task is not the solution.

Apple has to patch this brute force hack. I honestly didn't even know they have this problem. Usually it locks your account after a number of fails.

I was simply responding to the article and the steps that were posted on here to get your password can be avoided by 2-step verification.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
So the real problem is this brute force attack. Making the verification pop up on every task is not the solution.

Apple has to patch this brute force hack. I honestly didn't even know they have this problem. Usually it locks your account after a number of fails.

I was simply responding to the article and the steps that were posted on here to get your password can be avoided by 2-step verification.

According to the article, Apple said that they patched the "Find My iPhone" brute force attack vulnerability and iBrute was not a factor. My question to that response would be, when did they patch the vulnerability and did the attackers use some other brute force technique other than iBrute?

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
According to the article, Apple said that they patched the "Find My iPhone" brute force attack vulnerability and iBrute was not a factor. My question to that response would be, when did they patch the vulnerability and did the attackers use some other brute force technique other than iBrute?

No, they just guessed their security questions as mentioned by another poster who showed us the steps they used. So if Brute force is patched, and you enable 2-step verification, your password should be safe.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Just tried the step suggested by these guys.

Well, the security questions are really dumb! I entered an e-mail address of a friend and entered the birthday. Then I was asked: what is your hometown? WTF everybody knows this guy's hometown! :eek: I didn't go any further but it made me very worried about my security questions. I'd better enter some password like stuff in the answer fields.

I forget what Apple has for security question options but an often offered question is make or model of your first car. This is what I choose for the question because I use a completely fictitious make and model so the odds are very slim that any hacker will guess what I made up. Another option that is easy to remember is for the hometown question, spell it backwards. You always know your hometown and so may someone else but will they think of spelling it backwards?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
I think you need to change the headline for this article, so you are not claiming that someones opinion is fact.

Hackers Using Law Enforcement Tools to Access iCloud Backups Unprotected by Two-Factor Authentication

Should be changed to:

Hackers May Be Using Law Enforcement Tools to Access iCloud Backups Unprotected by Two-Factor Authentication

It's just one word, what is the bigg diff?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Have a good password, tell nobody, and invent security answers--and you are, as of today, safe. One-factor security.

But Apple can provide MORE than that, and more easily, and they must do so. For ALL entry vectors. Every company needs to improve on this, and Apple doesn't get a free pass any more than any other vendor.

Just be glad we don't also have Android malware to face.

End game: put TouchID in Macs and we won't have to TOUCH the Internet in any way not gated by fingerprint. (Yes, someone can rebuild your fingerprint if they stalk you in real life, and have a enough time, money, and specialized equipment. But can they do so BEFORE you notice the device is gone and remote wipe it? Very unlikely. Easier to just threaten you and make you give them anything they want. No security protects against that. Meanwhile, no hack will get people inside one of Apple's chips' secure enclaves, where things more sensitive even than your backup may soon reside....)

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
By the way. How many of you who have iCloud have been receiving messages like this but with a better iCloud-disguised return email address?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 9.47.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 9.47.53 PM.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 219

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
<snip>

While I have some sympathy for the victims, I also believe ignorance is not really an excuse these days.

People have to accept more responsibility for their actions, even if the consequences are far beyond what they initially imagined. The sad fact is in our cottonwool society is far easier to blame everyone else for everything than accept some responsibility personally. If you don't agree then you're part of the problem.

I just posted a blog entry about this very thing. It appears I am not the only that feels this way.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Lots of victim blaming up in here. That's what you get with anonymity I guess.

I guess I'm ahead of the game since I have 2 step enabled, I don't keep iCloud backups in the cloud, and I keep my computer password protected so people don't see my private material.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Nice little read here. I guess we can say "You're locking it wrong." is the new "You're holding it wrong." catch phrase for the year. Classic Apple stuff folks.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apples-blame...oto-breach-wont-fix-its-trust-problem-1676436

"This is a distinction that customers don’t care about. They will hear, in effect, “It’s not our fault hackers guessed your password.” This blame-the-user mentality is reminiscent of the 2010 release of iPhone 4. The phone’s antenna was exposed externally, and gripping the phone a certain way might cause your call to disconnect. Apple dismissed loads of complaints with what became a party line amounting to a joke: “You’re holding it wrong.”

This is 2014’s “You’re holding it wrong.” Blogger Michael Arrington thinks this is a big problem going forward. “Even if Apple fixes the problem, or has fixed the problem with the patch they just released, they’re still screwed, The damage, the massive damage, has already been done. Because everyone now understands that their phones aren’t secure. Even things they thought they deleted are vulnerable. That’s something that will haunt Apple for a decade.”

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Nice little read here. I guess we can say "You're locking it wrong." is the new "You're holding it wrong." catch phrase for the year. Classic Apple stuff folks.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apples-blame...oto-breach-wont-fix-its-trust-problem-1676436

"This is a distinction that customers don’t care about. They will hear, in effect, “It’s not our fault hackers guessed your password.” This blame-the-user mentality is reminiscent of the 2010 release of iPhone 4. The phone’s antenna was exposed externally, and gripping the phone a certain way might cause your call to disconnect. Apple dismissed loads of complaints with what became a party line amounting to a joke: “You’re holding it wrong.”

This is 2014’s “You’re holding it wrong.” Blogger Michael Arrington thinks this is a big problem going forward. “Even if Apple fixes the problem, or has fixed the problem with the patch they just released, they’re still screwed, The damage, the massive damage, has already been done. Because everyone now understands that their phones aren’t secure. Even things they thought they deleted are vulnerable. That’s something that will haunt Apple for a decade.”

Its called using the same username & password for all your internet logins. All it takes is for one internet account to be compromised, so that lets all your accounts being compromised. That is up to the user to ensure this method is not used against him. If not, its his own fault.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
the plot thickens

Does it. The article suggests this is merely a suggestion of how the hack might have happened, not confirmed knowledge.

----------

I'm surprised backups don't use two step authentication. This is a bad move by Apple.

Guessing you don't use iCloud backups. Two step requires a working iphone that can receive SMS messages. But you log into and load an iCloud backup before SMS is possible.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Sigh. No.

The 2-factor authentication Apple has set up works specifically to stop people from guessing/researching/finding answers to your "security questions" (by actually eliminating all security questions). This stops them from resetting your password, thus gaining access to your iCloud account, thus gaining access to your iPhone backups.

Therefore it WOULD in fact have stopped the iCloud backup "hacks" conducted, at least those conducted by the n00bs on AnonIB.

Sites such as techcrunch are mimicking what's been written here: that 2FA would not have stopped this attack. But, I feel pretty sure trevorbsmith has laid it out correctly. 2FA would stop such an attack insofar as the hackers are just using social engineering to find answers to your security questions... which is what it sounds like they were probably doing.

If that's not right, can anyone explain why?

----------

It's just one word, what is the bigg diff?

it makes the title quite misleading, that's what. "Terrorists attack New York" and "Terrorists may attack New York" is the same one word, but it makes for a pretty different headline, doesn't it?

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
People are going a little overboard here.

If you have 2-step verification it stops the hackers at step 4.

Instead of getting simple security questions, they will get the only option of putting in your recovery key. Which they cant get.

To reset your recovery key you would need one of the verified devices. And if they have your device they can probably just plug the phone to iPhoto unless you lock it with FindMyiPhone.

So to be protected ENABLE 2-STEP VERIFICATION!!

For every iUser that understands this there are 100 more that don't get it. Face it; this is Apples target audience, the walking clueless. It's why people prefer iProducts because their easy to use and just works. Apple does not want to make it hard or confuse people. Otherwise 2 Step verification would have been mandatory a very long time ago.
It's also the same reason why kids were able to buy $100's of in app purchases for the longest time. Make it easy to spend money. Apple is not dumb, they know exactly what their doing.
At the end of the day Apple will be forced to do 2 step verification and automatic lock out after the dust settles.

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
If, and that obviously is an IF, that is what happened then Apple should not claim that the images were not stolen due to weaknesses in their security. In fact, this is an even bigger potential hole in their security in my opinion. And to those who want to make it the victims fault that these photos were stolen: You are messed up in the head.

I don't think we are getting the same conclusion. The hackers are getting the persons ID AND password somehow, someway. Then they are getting someone's backup using their ID AND password (or resetting them). This isn't a security hole. This is a feature overlook. But yes, needs to be fixed.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Just tried the step suggested by these guys.

Well, the security questions are really dumb! I entered an e-mail address of a friend and entered the birthday. Then I was asked: what is your hometown? WTF everybody knows this guy's hometown! :eek: I didn't go any further but it made me very worried about my security questions. I'd better enter some password like stuff in the answer fields.

Indeed.

I use fake answers and not always in English. Like "what is your hometown" might be Atlantis. "What was the model of your first car?" Hot air balloon. Written in Klingon. And so on.

I loved when system let me create my own questions. For my question I might put something like "stroking a cat" and the answer is biscuits. The logical progression between the two is something I will remember but not even my friends are likely to figure out and a random stranger wouldn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.