Hackintosh opinion

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Super_Saxy, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Super_Saxy macrumors newbie

Hey all,

So I'm thinking about building a Hackintosh to cut costs of a Mac Pro. I plan on using the LifeHacker guide.

I was thinking of subbing out the quad core 3.0 GHz processor for a slightly less expensive quad core 2.66 GHz processor.

First question, this processor should sub in the LifeHacker build alright, correct?

Second, assuming the answer to my first question is "yes", difference in processing power (about .34 ghz) and the difference in size of the L2 cache (12MB in the 3.0 GHz and 4MB in the 2.66 GHz) worth saving $200?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joewebster macrumors member

First question: Yes, you shouldn't have any problems.
    Second question: I don't think it'll make too much of a difference, maybe the speed will be slightly slower, but not much.

3. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

General opinion of someone who has two hackintoshes and 4 regular macs--hacks are great for specific purposes, but they require a lot of work and knowledge to get running and keep running/updated. That knowledge is readily available online, but it's a matter of risk and time.

The example:

I set up our server as a hackintosh because I wanted a VERY low power consumption fileserver. I bought all the parts on newegg (an Atom 330, which uses 8W max, as the primary processor). It took me 3 days of work to get it all running the way I need it to, and it doesn't update easily, it requires work every time a new update comes out. Which is fine for something that is just going to sit and run (and, for many intents and purposes, run as a NAS), and I may eventually just put Ubuntu Server on it anyway; when it comes down to replacing my G5 with a new workstation, I will UNDOUBTEDLY buy a Mac, because the time lost on actual work setting it up and the chances that something could go wrong are not, not worth the even $500-1000 difference to me.

To break it down even simpler, when I have a job running I make anywhere between $20-50/hour, sometimes more. I had the free days to build this server; if I had a job running during that time, the $300 or so difference between what I built and buying a mac mini would equal roughly 10 hours of work, or one day. Since it took me 3 to really get everything set the way that I wanted it to, it really would have cost me $600 or so more to build the hackintosh than to just buy a mac. And I'd have a reliable, upgradeable (software-wise), dependable machine.

So it's really up to you. If you're set on doing it, it's pretty fun (though I advise spending the $30 on the Snow Leopard disc, it's cheap and if you're going to use it, you should buy it IMO), but keep in mind that you won't know what you'll end up with until you're done, whereas just buying the mac you know what you're getting.

And on the processor question, yeah, I agree with the last poster, the difference between 2.66 and 3.0 isn't much, especially considering the overclocking potential of a hacked system. But you won't notice it much outside of intensive HD video editing or hardcore animation rendering...

4. Super_Saxy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have a good bit of hackintosh experience (mostly laptops and netbooks), so I'm not too scared of the work that will need to go into it. My basic purpose is that I need something with the power of a Mac Pro (I do high end audio and visual work), but I just don't have the money to drop on one.

5. BillB50 macrumors member

When building a desktop, save yourself a very large headache and spend some time on Stellarola's blog. You will save hours upon hours of extra work by purchasing hardware that is close to apple spec - i.e. most desktop Hacks are built on Gigabyte motherboards (my guess, but I built one using this platform) - specifically GA-EP45-UD3P - this board has the same on-board audio, same ICH10 southbridge and will require the least amount of kexts to get it running. Stel is a master at building DSDT files for this platform. You can also get ATI or NVidia cards to work quite easily and for considerably less money.

Take the time to research...

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Agreed. Googling specifics can take forever so it's best to find a solid tutorial and run with it, then fix any problems later. There's one that is simple and to the point, it helped me out immensely (mostly just for the proper order to do things in, as I was already doing most of it). Not sure how kosher it is to post a link to it in this forum, but it's on infinitemac and was started by SaCleoCheater.

Also, with DSDT files, make sure you even need one first, as I was able to get the server built without creating one, but it may be necessary depending on your hardware.

7. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

lemonade-maker

8. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Hackintrash facts

Its illegal
    Its immoral
    It demonstrates that you're too cheap/poor to buy the real thing

9. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I was thinking of it once. Then found out this is something who likes to work on the computer all the time.

I prefer working with the computer and the advantage of hasslefree operation.

10. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

11. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It isn't illegal. It isn't immoral provided you buy licenses and the third point is just plain snobbery.

12. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

That is false information. It says right there in the license agreement that it cannot be installed on non-apple hardware.

13. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

let 300d rant how much he wants, he obviously can't stand the fact that with a couple of days of tinkering you can get a stable rig outperforming the Mac Pro at half the cost. Hey, with the 09 mac and the audio cpu bug, i'd even call my hackintosh more stable then the mac pro.

the argument "It demonstrates that you're too cheap/poor to buy the real thing" as If you are lesser being for not having the funds... plz mr elitist, get out of the forums. ;)

14. parakiet macrumors regular

no discussion when you don't buy a os X version.

license agreement go only 'that' far. international/national law overrules those agreements anyway
    so yes, there is a big discussion on that topic.

15. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Yep, thats it to a T

Not at all. I believe McDonalds managers are people too!

Which would be....Windows, linux, unix, OS9?

Just the installation and use of the OS, you know, everything its made to do.
    Good for those living outside the US, all 2% of them on these forums.

16. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

17. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Coming from the guy with a G5, update that thing you cheap ass...why are you here anyway?

18. Super_Saxy thread starter macrumors newbie

Cindori and everyone else, thanks for all the support.

I agree. Not because I'm too cheap. Actually, I'm a struggling audio engineer, and would love the power of a Mac Pro type of system. However, as the name "struggling audio engineer" implies, I don't have the money to drop on a mac pro.

Let me further clarify for those who will jump all over the "struggling audio engineer". In the audio world, you work your tail off for years making barely any money just with the hope of getting better opportunities. And then of course you have the paradox that good gear is necessary for high quality audio work. However, in order to get this high quality gear, you have to make really good money, which you don't because engineers who are starting out barely make enough money to live.

Greg

19. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

Its called "intelligence". You don't drop $5,000 on a computer and trade it in every few years.

I've been here far longer than you. I'm here to help people with their problems and make the right choice.

That is my point exactly.

20. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I am fairly certain Jan comes before May.

In either case, there are tons of threads on this topic. I think some forum searching is in order.

My only opinion is to make sure the C2Q cpu you get supports VT-x.

21. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

OP:
    I have the q8400 in my current hack (that im typing this on right now), and its a speedy little processor considering the price. I'd go for it.

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No it doesn't. You're the one supplying false information.

Leopard's licensing agreement says "You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-labeled computer, or to enable others to do so." - Interestingly, Apple included two Apple stick on labels in the box though.

Snow Leopard's licensing agreement is identical except the word "labeled" has been changed to "branded". If you believe in the legality of the EULA then you can shrink proof yourself by buying a faulty old PowerMac G4 and build a hackintosh into the case. It will be genuinely Apple labeled/branded and if you have the original restore disks too then you can get around the other thing that hackintosh haters like to throw around which is that OS X boxed editions are only upgrade licenses since all macs come with OS X to start with.

23. nanofrog macrumors G4

I like your thinking. :D

Psystar got nailed on Copyright Infringement, as they were making a profit (or attempting to) from what they were doing, unlike an individual doing it for their own personal use. Copyright /= EULA being challenged head-on in a court system. Software vendors are terrified of that prospect, and why Apple filed for Copyright Infringement in the first place.

Your methodology should be adequate to satisfy the EULA's language, if it ever does come into the court system and is supported in it's entirety.

24. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Don't worry, Greg.

Even the Apple Pope would give you the thumbs up. And why should Steve Jobs worry about someone wanting to have an Apple computer so much that he goes through the hassle of building one himself?

Much better than you going on the other side and buying a PC rig. And stay on the PC side once you have made it.

This way he'll at least be able to sell you an expensive Mac Pro a few years down the line.

We all wish you luck with your endeavors. Just make sure you prepare your build well so you don't run into snags.

25. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Oooh, no, no, no then. I HIGHLY suggest if you are building a rig for a recording environment that you do NOT make it a hackintosh. Reliability is pretty important when a band is paying you by the hour.

If you want a cheaper rig for recording I suggest sticking with Windows or Linux, OR picking up an older Mac. The advantages of buying a Mac Pro are pretty much lost on audio engineering anyway, a straight 24 or 32 bit signal is a straight 24 or 32 bit signal regardless of whether it's recorded on a G3 or a Mac Pro. We still use a souped up Sawtooth for our recording/mixing (see sig) and it's perfect. We spent the money that would have gone into a new computer on mics and never even looked back.