Hackintosh-oriented forum?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by allbrokeup, Oct 25, 2008.

1. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

Hi,

Could we please have a Hackintosh specific forum in the Hardware section (created by me, or at least, some credit :D:D:D)????????

I think it would be a great addition to MacRumors Forums, as we have an iPod Touch Hacks forum and an iPhone Hacks one, so why not a Hackintosh one?

I think it would keep people here/generate more viewers and memberships as people won't have to venture out of this site to find help on Hackintosh creation/help.

Please take this into consideration,

BJ

2. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'd go for it. It's hard enough to find that thread on hackintoshs, much less sifting thru all the pages to find something useful.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I would guess the reason there is no Hackintosh forum is because it is against the EULA to install OS X on non Apple hardware.

There is no such restriction on hacking iPhones and iPod Touches hence the forums already being there.

4. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Plenty of other illegal stuff gets discussed on here.....My guess is that "this aint no democracy" rules apply :)

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If it promotes shady or illegal hacks don't expect to see a forum for it.

6. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I seem to remember reading somewhere that we didn't have one because Hackintosh discussions often lead to pirate OS X downloads.

7. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I'd like to see such a forum. I'm actually considering a Hackintosh, and I find one of the best ways to learn more about something is to listen to others talk about it. A Hackintosh forum would be amazingly useful and informative. It would be great to have all the Hackintoh-oriented threads in one place, where users can talk about what they built, and ask for help, if they need any, from other users.

If the rules are very clear, why should there be a problem? Users can help report posts violating the forum standards (i.e. no pirating OS X).

8. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

we've talked about this before. It's mostly a reflection of the culture here, rather than any particular rule. Though these discussions frequently end up referencing the piracy of Mac OS X, and if they do that, they get shut down

Here's the off-the-top-of-my-head summary

- we don't make it a point to police EULAs, but other forum members frequently object to common EULA violations surrounding Apple
    - we do not permit illegal ("against the law") discussion for obvious reasons

arn

9. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I think this should be implemented. There would have to be some rules on what would be able to be posted here.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

There is a reason arn posted here. I think its enough to say he doesn't want to compromise MR with a grey area forum.

OS X hacking isn't exactly legal (as it goes against the EULA).

11. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Someone is gonna say something about this: so what? It's against something that 90% of people never read. Just because it is against the EULA doesn't make it illegal. It just makes it illegal to Apple's eyes.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

For argument sakes, let's just assume that arn doesn't want to add one. Now there is a good reason why we don't have one?;)

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

You don't need to pirate OS-X to get it working on a Hackintosh.
    You can go out, buy a retail version of Leopard, Pay the ~150$ to Apple, and run it off that. There's nothing illegal about that.

In my opinion: There should be a Hackintosh forum, just have set rules to go with it.

14. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

There are plenty of forums that cater to, and are therefore apt for, such discussions. MR just isn't one of them.

irmongoose

15. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I think the one massive merged thread we have on it is more than enough.

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

actually there is. but let's not start that conversation. i feel that MR is very legal conscious about postings.

but then again i don't think you should give people advice on how to steal.

it's a toss up

but if they aren't smart enough to do it themselves, then they don't deserve it :)

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

It's not a matter of being "smart". It's about being "information literate", i.e. having the ability to access, evaluate, organize, and use information from a variety of (online) sources.

But this is probably a subject for discussion in the Why Johnny Can't Search (Intelligently) thread...

18. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

although i understand where you're coming from (especially when the topic is very complex i.e hackintosh)

working hard to find information pays off if you save the money you were about to spend. some people just want things spoonfed to them.

19. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

When have I ever claimed the spoonfed would inherit the earth? ;)

20. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

A potential solution would be to set up a Hacintosh section, but have it locked to prohibit all posts.

Within the section, there's one thread (and a sticky at that) which contains a FAQ.

Basically, the FAQ says that the concern is the grey nature, etc, etc, and that the section won't be unlocked unless the EULA lawsuit(s) goes against Apple (including appeals) and Hackintoshes become 'legal'.

Optionally, it could allow posts, but with the very, very strict restriction that the only allowed topic is news on the lawsuits.

-hh

21. Donar macrumors 6502

Donar

I subscribed the "Merged Hackintosh" and "Post your Hackintosh" Thread, i do not think we need a whole subsection for it. Talk is mostly about which Hardware to buy or not to buy...

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why not allow posters with over 100 posts to talk in the Hackintosh forum ala PRSI?

I'm not going to cry if this isn't adopted as I'm not sure it'll work.