Had Motorola Atrix for 4 days, back to iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brholton, Apr 5, 2011.

1. brholton macrumors member

I gave my sister my iPhone 4, and upgraded her line to a Motorola Atrix for me, went back to the AT&T store today and traded it for a new iPhone 4. I didn't like Android and was having separation anxiety from my iPhone.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No offense, but you really didn't android any time to get used to it.

The OS is really a different animal then iOS and you need to figure out how it works. I initially had some adjusting when going to android but after a couple of weeks I started seeing the power and flexibility it provides. iOS has a lot going for it, as does android. My point is giving it only a couple days isn't a lot of time.

3. BadMoon macrumors 6502

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm not keen on Android either. Google needs to fix the fragmentation issue big time (Although just a few days ago an article was released explaining that they are working on it.)

5. walie macrumors 6502a

6. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I don't have anything against Android really, but I do prefer iOS.

Motorola however, I will NEVER buy a motorola phone ever again so long as I live.

7. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

What issue?

I've had an android phone for nearly two years now and have yet to experience a problem that is related to "fragmentation".

8. hildey macrumors newbie

if AT&T had a quality vanilla android phone i would probably drop my iphone and pick it up iiiimediately.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

My beef with Atrix is MotoBlur. For a dual-core still on Froyo, it still shows lag. The Samsung Captivate still seems better for Android on AT&T. I really wanted to like Atrix, but Tegra 2 and the dock accessories seems overhyped. I got turned off by Android thanks to playing with the Atrix. But I do understand getting used to it after a few weeks or so. People do get too accustomed with iPhones that it becomes a point of no return for them.

If I go Android, I will go HTC since Sense seems to be the nicest custom skin. Or SE for the PS phones. I would never go Samsung or LG. They use too much plastic and don't seem to care for software updates. Preferably vanilla form which seems to happen with the Nexus line. Honestly, I may not even update my phone for awhile. Even WP7 seems to be dying fast in the U.S. And Nokia won't help them here either. Seems more of a possible international hit. Nothing is as fluid or has the same build quality as Apple's iPhones. First class materials and enduring quality.

10. walie macrumors 6502a

Almost every providor in Canada will be selling the Nexus S unlocked in the coming weeks

11. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I used an atrix for 1 month. I loved it but I love my iPhone 4 more. I switched back to my iPhone 4 today. The atrix screamed processor wise opening apps, camera, etc. instantly. But in the end I love having iphone itunes etc integrated and I think the appstore is 100 times better and with cydia I get enough custimization.

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

Another one. I can only imagine the amount of individuals who have switched to try something else. I've been there. Multiple times. I've put all my faith into Apple with the iPhone since I've switched back to the iPhone 2-3 times because of trying other devices. Android was one of them.

Can't go wrong with iOS whatsoever. Fluid. Easy. Does what it needs to.

13. brholton thread starter macrumors member

I have an iPad 2 and I tought I would like an iOS device and an Android device, found out I like having all the same, and the Atrix didn't impress me at all enough to want to try get used to it.

14. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Look! Another iOS vs Android thread!

*click*

*clicks Reply*

"FRAGMENTATION!!!!!"

*clicks Submit Reply*

*feels smart*

:D

OP- 4 days isn't really enough to judge a phone ;)

15. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

16. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

A couple weeks is a long time.

17. jbro1999 macrumors regular

For everyone saying 4 days isn't long enough... For anyone who I know had the iPhone for even hours loved it. There isn't much learning curve. It shouldn't take 4 days + to get used to a phone.

My gf still doesn't know how to use her droid2 after 6 months. She is always taking my ip4 to use and play games. She learned how to use that right away. That's the beauty of iOS.

18. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

What version of the Android OS are you running?

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No there isn't much of a learning curve and there's not much you can do to alter iOS.

Android provides a much richer depth of choices to the consumer and its quite different from iOS. I don't think the average consumer who doesn't have any iOS experience needs many weeks of time to adjust, but someone who is used to iOs needs to change the way they approach the mobile OS. That does take time.

For the record regarding apple fanboy's favorite argument against android - fragmentation. I've never had an issue with this and most consumers don't and won't. all current apps in the marketplace will work with all current android phones.

20. mltaylor macrumors regular

My gf is the same way. I have the iPhone 4 on AT&T and she has Sprint so obviously no iPhone. She has the Evo and is constantly asking me to use my phone for simple tasks. Android just isn't as simple and someone who isn't techy (like my gf) will always prefer iOS simplicity. Maybe that's why windows phone 7 is going the super simple route. Id really like to try it.

21. jbro1999 macrumors regular

But it is stopping developers from creating better apps.

See here. http://gizmodo.com/#!5789093/the-near+future-of-mobile-gaming-is-going-to-be-pretty-epic

Speaking of Android, you're probably wondering why there's no showstopper like Infinity Blade for the platform. Well, wonder no more. Says Sweeney, "When a consumer gets the phone and they wanna play a game that uses our technology, it's got to be a consistent experience, and we can't guarantee that [on Android]. That's what held us off of Android." The problem with Android is consistency. "If you took the underlying NGP hardware and shipped Android on it, you'd find far far less performance on Android. Let's say you took an NGP phone and made four versions of it. Each one would give you a different amount of memory and performance based on the crap [the carriers] put on their phone." Bottom line, for Epic to do the kinds of things they do on iOS, "Google needs to be a little more evil. They need to be far more controlling." Even so, the main reason Epic has focused on iOS? "It's really the best place to make money."

22. alan7467 macrumors member

That pretty much sums up the issue of fragmentation on Android and why, even if the end user doesn't realize it, they are affected by it. I wish people would stop pretending that the problem doesn't exist. It's fine to admit that you don't notice or care about it, but that doesn't change the fact that other users do.

23. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

Before my iPhone, I had a Droid Eris, which I hated because of the lag. So I switched to at&t for the iPhone and love it. However, I miss the widgets and look of Sense. I was actually considering selling my iPhone and buying an HTC inspire.

For me it's not iPhone vs Android at all. The iPhone is a fast, sleek, beautiful device. The OS just needs some more to it.

24. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Its really no different from Apple users saying there is no issue with the antenna or proximity sensor!! Hey, fair is fair! I can still use my phone without having to worry about dropping calls or holding it a certain way. That's way more important to me than fragmentation, cause after all it is a phone!

25. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It actually only takes a few seconds for you to like the device or not. I fell in love with my iPhone the second I started using it. If this doesn't happen while you're using an Android device, then it's most likely not the device for you. Why use it for a 'couple weeks' if you dislike it?