Had my macbook pro for a few weeks but can not get to grips :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aircanman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

Hey all, I have signed on to here in the hope that someone can help me.

I have moved from PC to a Macbook Pro, and although I love it to bits, I have had to make some serious sacrifices to make it work for me, but music is something I work and use a lot, and now the MP3 CD's I have been burning wont play in my players because I found out the mac is burning all the artwork files to the CD as well, so the players wont play it.

Is there any way to stop it doing this? I think there is a way to show all the hidden files, but I dont want to have to go through editing things in terminal every time I want to burn a music cd with MP3;s on it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What app are you using to burn CDs? If you burn them from iTunes, they should play just fine.

3. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there, I am using folders which have many MP3 files in them I had from my old PC - I am using Roxio Toast to burn them, I can't use iTunes because I would have to import them at the same time and it's not really an option.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What's wrong with importing to iTunes? It's a very simple process and makes burning audio CDs quite easy. If you want to keep using Toast, make sure the format you're burning is audio CDs and not data CDs.

5. simsaladimbamba

Just deselect the highlighted option in iTunes' preferences and importing music should go quite fast, depending on the number of albums you import.
    [​IMG]

6. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey there, thanks for your replies. I have in excess of 1000 tracks all sorted out in folders without artwork from my old PC. If I were to put them into iTunes it would really mess up all my folders which would bother me sadly (minor OCD I am afraid) - So as I say it needs to be a drag and drop style with iTunes out of the equasion.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you uncheck both of those boxes, it will not do anything to your arrangement of files and folders. I have over 30,000 tracks in my library and iTunes doesn't change anything that I've set up.

8. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

But if you deselect that check box--it won't touch your folders, it will just read from those folders.

That should work just fine for you...

9. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi there, thanks for all your replies. I have tried what you are saying but the only problem is the CD's that I use in my car contain some of the purchased items, and iTunes wont let me burn them on an MP3 CD so thats the idea out the window. It's really bugging me because I love the MBP to bits. :( Dont want to have to forward it on to go back to old pc.

10. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I think you might want to go chat with someone in the Apple store about the things you are trying to do. Maybe working in person with someone, one on one, will be more helpful than trying to communicate it here.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, you're making erroneous assumptions about iTunes. You certainly can burn your purchased songs to CD.

iTunes: Music purchased from iTunes Store cannot be burned to MP3 format CD

Perhaps a better approach, instead of saying "iTunes can't do this", would be to simply say "This is what I'm trying to do. How do I do this with iTunes?"

http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I've always burned MP3 CDs by simply burning a data CD with the MP3s on it. Have you tried that? Toast should have an MP3 CD setting that will prevent it from burning non-MP3 files onto it. I often just did it straight from the Finder in Leopard and it worked fine for me. What's the exact process you are going through to make your CD?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

From the link I posted:

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its quite easy to break iTunes protected format. There are two options:

1. Burn the songs as an audio CD and reimport them. This is what I did before iTunes went DRM free.

2. You can pay to upgrade to a DRM free version and get a higher bitrate song.

15. sydenham macrumors regular

What players are you using to play the CDs burned from Toast? I find it hard to believe they won't work in other players unless your using CDRW in which case it won't work in many players no matter what machine you use to burn them....

16. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I know what you are saying and I love the positive approach to it, but I have to make so many changes to the way I operate the Mac I feel like its getting a bit too much to cope with!!

For answer to the other question, Roxio Toast is burning all the files with the artwork, and it is not working in my car!!

17. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

Sorry to state the obvious but a Mac is different from a PC. I know making the change can be very confusing but as people have been trying to explain you can do everything you want to do. Just put a bit of effort in and you will see how easy it is.

18. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Have you thought that maybe something is wrong with the CD player in your car?

19. sydenham, Feb 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

Its not that hard. There have been some very good and helpful suggestions here. He was told what to do and chooses not to. Perhaps he should go back to Windows.

20. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Seriously though, it sounds like you are either choosing the wrong option when you are burning the disc, or you are using media that is not compatible with your car stereo. Rather than fuss and fume, why don't you outline each step you are taking, and maybe someone can spot where you are going wrong. Start with exactly the kind of discs you are using, and then list your steps, 1, 2, 3 and so on.

You aren't clearly articulating what is happening, so it's hard for anyone to really help you.

21. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I have MP3 files on my hard drive which I want to BURN to CD - a MP3 Disc

Using Roxio Toast to make a MP3 CD or DATA CD - I copy the folders over and it burns them.

Does not work in car

Open up CD on a Windows machine and Toast has burnt all the artwork as well as the music, but it is hidden on a mac.

If I remove the artwork and copy the files onto a new CD using the PC - it works, so it is the mac and not me.

22. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

You need to let go of you pc ways. Be open minded to Mac OS X and you'll see how much easier it really is. Get rid of the folders/windows mentality asap.

Sounds like the problem is Roxio, not the Mac itself, which seems to be running without a hitch...

Do you realize there's a difference between "...copy the folders..." and "...copy the files..."?

If you're burning a disk with drag and drop, you want to drag and drop only the music files themselves, not all your music folders. You shouldn't be burning a disk this way these days anyway - just use the burn disk feature in Roxio or iTunes. Make sure you're creating a music CD and not a data CD, which will not play in a normal (non-computer) CD player.

Your Mac can do everything you want - be patient and learn how.

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Read the manual on your car CD player - it will probably tell you it cannot play data CDs.

24. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I really think you're trying too hard to make things difficult. Burn the music from the CDs to the machine and then import to iTunes - then never worry about needing to touch them again. Burn from iTunes if need be. If you have a lot of music to import, start the process to import and go make a sandwich or something.

I'm not sure how much more simpler it can get, really. Not trying to be rude, just trying to be realistic.

25. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Car standard with a MP3 Data player.