Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Half-Life 2 Coming to Mac OS X Today

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

As noted by Kotaku, Valve Software is set to launch the Mac OS X version of Half-Life 2 today, with follow-up sequels Half-Life 2: Episode One and Half-Life 2: Episode Two also seeing their public release for the platform.

Valve announced in early March that it would be bringing its Steam game distribution platform and library of games to Mac OS X, with the public release going live earlier this month. Among the 60 launch titles for Mac OS X was Valve's Portal, which was available for free until earlier this week.

Valve will continue to roll out new titles for the Mac on a regular basis, with the Half-Life 2 package representing the next step in that process. To celebrate the launch of Half-Life 2, Valve has remade a portion of Apple's iconic 1984 Super Bowl commercial in a Half-Life 2-inspired theme, with series protagonist Alyx Vance serving as the main character in the promo. Several frames of the remake were used in one of six leaked teaser images sent to MacRumors and other sites ahead of Valve's official Mac announcement.

Article Link: Half-Life 2 Coming to Mac OS X Today

alcides11

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Pittsbugh, PA
Awesome Ad, here comes better gaming options?

This ad rocks! About time a company like Valve jumps on-board the MAC, hopefully this inspires other game developers to create faster better ports of their Windows games for the MAC, ( refuse to use PC since a MAC is a PC as well :D). They may even decide to use Steam which I like a lot on my Windows PC.

Comment

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Can't wait.

Judging from Portal stability, it might even be more stable than windows version perhaps

Comment

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Excellent, but I am really waiting for Left 4 Dead 2 ('guitar here!') and Team Fortress 2 ('building a sentry') :)

This is front page news because ….

...parhaps because steam on the Mac is one of the most important things happened on the Mac ecosystem lately?

Comment

sportguy0913

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
USA
Great news for gamers! Can't wait to see what other games come to mac!

But... does anyone remember marble blast??? I think i'm going to play it now, lol.

Comment

idreaminbeige

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Still the best FPS out there IMO and an influence on many of the big titles of the last 5 years.

Great excuse to play this through again and see whether steam remembers I already have this game on my account.

Delighted Valve is taking a punt and jumping aboard OSX, hopefully more developers will follow with in house ports.

The Aspyr ports were not only poorly done, with fairly dramatic drops in performance on similar spec machines and a lack of patches and support, but most would come 18-24 months after a Windows release.

Comment

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
meh... 2-3 years too late, at least for me. I was hoping for HL2 on the mac for along time now and more than got my fix on a the PC and PS2. Im sure Valve will make money and many mac users will be happy to play a nearly 5 year old game on the mac. but come on WTF took so long!!!! But hey its all about going forward right? hopefully the mac won't be ignored as a gaming platform as it has been for the past decade.

Comment

vescaegg

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2010
Is a six year old game (despite how incredible it is/was) coming to a new platform really that interesting?!

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I really hope the original Half-Life will also be brought to the Mac, since it has some amazing mods! Mods would not work with Half-Life: Source, just the original one by the way.

What time (with time zone) should we expect today's release? :D Can't wait!

Comment

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Gaming on the Mac has never been as good as it was in the late 90's and early 2000's when Westlake, Aspyr, Bungie, iD and Macsoft were involved.

Adding some of Valve's small catalog of games isn't going to change it. PC gaming is scaling back as it is so whatever dribbles down to the Mac will be an even smaller number of titles.

Too late Apple, too late Valve.

Comment

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Nice, I guess, but of course I beat that game years ago.

Still a good play though.

Comment

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Awesome game, but it's kinda old! :eek:

Call me when they release Episode 3 or Portal 2!

Comment

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Hopefully Valve throws a special deal for it today. I wanna play it, but it's so old that I can't say I'm willing to pay more than $7 for it.

Comment

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about
Hopefully Valve throws a special deal for it today. I wanna play it, but it's so old that I can't say I'm willing to pay more than $7 for it.

Do you own it already for the PC? If so, free on the Mac.

...if not, I have an extra copy I could gift you. :p

Comment

scottparker999

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2009

yea i agree, you can pick it up for only a few £ at computer game shops. I wouldn't pay a premium for such an old game.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.