Halloween

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
1) I almost bumped my old[er] Halloween thread, we go all out, full bars, decorations, added a projector this year :D

2) This is dangerously close to PRSI content o_O

Reactions: jkcerda

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
We have a *blast*, our little G is super into it and our neighborhood generally does it up. We have fog, projectors, lights, strobes, stuff on the side of the house, can't wait :D
And I bet the neighbors are jealous of you. :p I don't think our kids had a clue what was going on last year, LOL. They do now. I'll just what I did last year. Which also means munching on caramel and candy apples for the two or three hours we'll be out. Closed streets with lots of security.

They had an awesome rock band last year that was playing on one of the streets.
[doublepost=1508895018][/doublepost]Oh, and the buttered nuts. Last year some big time popcorn company was there giving out free popcorn of various flavors. Hopefully they're there this year. I love my lime and jalapeno popcorn.

Last edited:

louis redfoot

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2017
southern california
i have a default willy wonka costume (easy plus a cheap excuse to give out candy and hit on girls), but i might just stay home
[doublepost=1509070823][/doublepost]
Not a fan of holidays. Halloween starts the worst time of the year. November and December
haha, i don’t mind thanksgiving and all the holiday decorations/music. just be sure to load up the fridge. especially christmas, it’s a graveyard out there

ThisBougieLife

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2016
SF Bay Area, California
Not a fan of holidays. Halloween starts the worst time of the year. November and December
:eek:

Say it isn't so :(

I must be a kid at heart because I still get excited around the holidays and it remains my favorite part of the year. Although the way I celebrate Halloween has evolved since I was a kid, I still enjoy it (now my trend is to go to a debauched frat party with lots of sexy costumes).

Phonephreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2017
Here and there

I must be a kid at heart because I still get excited around the holidays and it remains my favorite part of the year. Although the way I celebrate Halloween has evolved since I was a kid, I still enjoy it (now my trend is to go to a debauched frat party with lots of sexy costumes).
It’s true. It’s damn true. Lol
I haven’t enjoyed the holidays in years. Not my thing at all. I can’t stand the decorations. I would not put up a tree if I had my choice

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Oh, and the buttered nuts.
Quoting this out of context because I'm immature ... also a little loopy, got up at 2:30a (iPX pre-order :D)

Love the holiday season, the weather is just about perfect (top down, no sweating), love decorating, cooking ... eating, everything just has a happy vibe, driving through the Old City, everything is so lit up. Our little G gets super excited, work basically shuts down for weeks.

Reactions: ThisBougieLife

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Dry run with the projector last night, looked awesome. Hulu has a couple of Halloween streams, like specifically designed for projecting outside for Halloween, might use one of those instead (ATV4 > Projector).

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Don't forget to butter your nuts. ;) I feel the same way you do, what you said in reply to Bougie, about Christmas, and I suppose Thanksgiving. Doesn't mean I like seeing Christmas stuff in August, though.

Actually, you know what, you could do that cinnamon, clove and allspice sugar coating for nuts. Memory serves me correct, it's an egg white wash and then you dump in the stuff and mix it with your hands until it sticks to the nuts. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Pop it in the oven to roast and dry. I add a little cayenne powder for some kick.

Reactions: chown33 and jkcerda

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Halloween is not really a holiday in the UK. Just another day. We might get a couple of door knockers but it won't be opened.
I don't agree with kids knocking on strangers doors begging.
Strange custom.

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I loved Halloween as a kid when I could roam the neighborhood with a friend at 9 years old alone, and come back with a grocery bag full of candy. I also loved it when I look my son out when he was 9 to roam the neighborhood. It’s like it took on special atmosphere, maybe something like Charlie Brown and The Great Pumkin. Now, I’ve got 14-16 year old girls at the door in packs and I’m tempted to ask them aren’t you a bit old for this? Last year, we left the front door lights off and picked a good Halloween movie to watch, either Hocus Pocus or Sleepy Hallow (Johnny Depp).

E4434C03-EDC9-44A6-A51B-3FB369779C89.jpeg

58522F7B-C664-42E7-A5CD-0221A2D1E4DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Although the way I celebrate Halloween has evolved since I was a kid, I still enjoy it (now my trend is to go to a debauched frat party with lots of sexy costumes).
My, my. Things have changed since my university days. We had coed parties then.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Not a fan of the holiday.
Hallowe'en?

I am; I like it - a fun time, and a nice mid-term break.

Not a fan of winter, generally, but Hallowe'en is a different matter.

Well, while I don't much care for winter - and the commercial elements of Christmas are overdone, holidays can be good fun, a step back from everyday life, a time to do something different, even a time to bond with friends and family.

i have a default willy wonka costume (easy plus a cheap excuse to give out candy and hit on girls), but i might just stay home
[doublepost=1509070823][/doublepost]

haha, i don’t mind thanksgiving and all the holiday decorations/music. just be sure to load up the fridge. especially christmas, it’s a graveyard out there

Yes, that part of it - dressing up, was great fun as a kid. As were the other parts, the apples, the traditional games, and so on; notwithstanding the clocks going back, I always enjoyed the feast itself.

It’s true. It’s damn true. Lol
I haven’t enjoyed the holidays in years. Not my thing at all. I can’t stand the decorations. I would not put up a tree if I had my choice
Oh, dear.

Dry run with the projector last night, looked awesome. Hulu has a couple of Halloween streams, like specifically designed for projecting outside for Halloween, might use one of those instead (ATV4 > Projector).
Sounds cool.

Halloween is not really a holiday in the UK. Just another day. We might get a couple of door knockers but it won't be opened.
I don't agree with kids knocking on strangers doors begging.
Strange custom.
Why not?

As long as it is done safely, it can be good fun; it is a harmless tradition, and dressing up can be terrific fun, engaging and stimulating the imagination, imagining a different existence while pretending to be someone or something else, and allowing the fantastical a welcome outing in lives that can be too controlled.

Whenever I am home, I ensure that the carer has had enough money to buy sweets, (candies to our American cousins), fruit, chocolate bars to give to the kids who call to the door.

In Celtic times, it was considered one of the two times of the year (the other was the May feast - 'Beltaine, or Beltane') where the 'lines' that divided the worlds of the living and the dead were thought to be unusually porous, or gossamer thin, and exchanges across this line were thought possible, to be welcomed guardedly, but not too enthusiastically.

The May feast was about fertility - but the October one is a celebration of the dead, and this is very valuable as death is not sufficiently discussed - not openly - in our world.

As per usual, the Church bolted and copper-fastened Church holidays and feasts onto what had - traditionally - been a pagan feast, but the underlying pre-occupation with death remained.

But, I think Hallowe'en very valuable in a death averse society; it allows the discussion of death, and both pagan and Christian feasts saw it as a time when the dead were either acknowledged, or visited, - or sometimes themselves visited, to check - fleetingly - on the living; and it allowed you to take time out from the routine of the standard day, or week, to take stock of the dead - and the role of the dead - in your own life.

I remember that my father, as long as he lived, always paid a visit the graves of his parents - they were had come from another place, but one not terribly far away - on that day; it was a private, personal thing, but one he chose to do without fail until he himself could no longer do so.

I loved Halloween as a kid when I could roam the neighborhood with a friend at 9 years old alone, and come back with a grocery bag full of candy. I also loved it when I look my son out when he was 9 to roam the neighborhood. It’s like it took on special atmosphere, maybe something like Charlie Brown and The Great Pumkin. Now, I’ve got 14-16 year old girls at the door in packs and I’m tempted to ask them aren’t you a bit old for this? Last year, we left the front door lights off and picked a good Halloween movie to watch, either Hocus Pocus or Sleepy Hallow (Johnny Depp).

Excellent post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huntn and jkcerda

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hallowe'en?

I am; I like it - a fun time, and a nice mid-term break.

Not a fan of winter, generally, but Hallowe'en is a different matter.

Well, while I don't much care for winter - and the commercial elements of Christmas are overdone, holidays can be good fun, a step back from everyday life, a time to do something different, even a time to bond with friends and family.

Yes, that part of it - dressing up, was great fun as a kid. As were the other parts, the apples, the traditional games, and so on; notwithstanding the clocks going back, I always enjoyed the feast itself.

Oh, dear.

Sounds cool.

Why not?

As long as it is done safely, it can be good fun; it is a harmless tradition, and dressing up can be terrific fun, engaging and stimulating the imagination, imagining a different existence while pretending to be someone or something else, and allowing the fantastical a welcome outing in lives that can be too controlled.

Whenever I am home, I ensure that the carer has had enough money to buy sweets, (candies to our American cousins), fruit, chocolate bars to give to the kids who call to the door.

In Celtic times, it was considered one of the two times of the year (the other was the May feast - 'Beltaine, or Beltane') where the 'lines' that divided the worlds of the living and the dead were thought to be unusually porous, or gossamer thin, and exchanges across this line were thought possible, to be welcomed guardedly, but not too enthusiastically.

The May feast was about fertility - but the October one is a celebration of the dead, and this is very valuable as death is not sufficiently discussed - not openly - in our world.

As per usual, the Church bolted and copper-fastened Church holidays and feasts onto what had - traditionally - been a pagan feast, but the underlying pre-occupation with death remained.

But, I think Hallowe'en very valuable in a death averse society; it allows the discussion of death, and both pagan and Christian feasts saw it as a time when the dead were either acknowledged, or visited, - or sometimes themselves visited, to check - fleetingly - on the living; and it allowed you to take time out from the routine of the standard day, or week, to take stock of the dead - and the role of the dead - in your own life.

I remember that my father, as long as he lived, always paid a visit the graves of his parents - they were had come from another place, but one not terribly far away - on that day; it was a private, personal thing, but one he chose to do without fail until he himself could no longer do so.

Excellent post.
For many reasons I dislike this time of year. My Autistic daughter hated random people knocking on the door.
Now she's gone I hate it because it reminds me of those issues.
Roll on Spring!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
For many reasons I dislike this time of year. My Autistic daughter hated random people knocking on the door.
Now she's gone I hate it because it reminds me of those issues.
Roll on Spring!
But, seriously, you cannot allow your autistic daughter's reactions to everything to rule your responses to external events, or the rest of your life.

You are not her, nor is she you.

An, frankly, on Hallowe'en, while the children may not be known to you, to have them call to the door can hardly be classed as "random"; this is a feast - and celebration - with a centuries old history. Thus, child callers in costume - a charming tradition - are not unexpected.

In our neighbourhood - a very established middle class area, with some houses a bit over a century old, and others dating from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and a few from the 70s, the population is mostly elderly (although there have been a lot of executor sales over the past few years); thus, the kids are welcome to call between roughly 6-7p.m.-9 p.m.

It is understood that they ought not call after nine, - and, in recent years, whenever I was home, they didn't.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
But, seriously, you cannot allow your autistic daughter's reactions to everything to rule your responses to external events, or the rest of your life.

You are not her, nor is she you.

An, frankly, on Hallowe'en, while the children may not be known to you, to have them call to the door can hardly be classed as "random"; this is a feast - and celebration - with a centuries old history. Thus, child callers in costume - a charming tradition - are not unexpected.

In our neighbourhood - a very established middle class area, with some houses a bit over a century old, and others dating from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and a few from the 70s, the population is mostly elderly (although there have been a lot of executor sales over the past few years); thus, the kids are welcome to call between roughly 6-7p.m.-9 p.m.

It is understood that they ought not call after nine, - and, in recent years, whenever I was home, they didn't.
Well the door will remain unanswered as it does most of the time someone calls by.
I'm not a fan. Never have been. I think it's one of those holidays we have imported from the US. Maybe not its origins, but the process of decorating ones house in fake ghosts and witches isn't for me.