Hand Brake speed to rip DVD ... what makes it

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by EarthDawn, May 18, 2008.

1. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

OK...

so what will make handbrake ripd dvd's faster on my G4 PowerBook ???

1.33 GHz PowerPC G$
    768 MB memory

THANKS !!!!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nothing really, Handbrake speed is all about the processor and unfortunately the 1.33GHz G4 is really, really slow for this stuff compared to any of the Intel machines.

My 1.2GHz iBook G4 average about 3 - 4 fps for an "iPod High Rez" rip whereas my 2.4GHz MacBook does up around 30fps, usually around the 25 to 26 mark though.

You will get better conversion speeds if you use MPEG-4 but it won't be as nice as H.264.

3. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

ouch. makes me wince thinking about your pain. I would mactheripper rip the DVD first so your drive isn't working for the 24 hours it takes to encode.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And that's why I use Handbrake for Windows...

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If he was running it in Windows on the same machine (if that was possible in the first place, which it isn't but you understand my point) it would still be slow as a wet week.

Windows, OS X, doesn't matter the OS - it's all about the processor.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I just find it easier to afford the hardware to process long queues in a reasonable amount of time. ;)

7. EarthDawn thread starter macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

THANKS,,,,

I had a feeling that was the issue... it is averaging 6fps. where my iMac does 36fps ....

I am using the PowerBook to try and speed up the conversion process for the 600+ movies I have.

I am using 2 Maxon 500gig external drives so I hooked 1 to the PowerBook and 1 to the iMac .... when I am done with the one on the PowerBook ill just connect it to the iMac and drag the library over to my iTunes there....

no complaints as it is such a joy to have it work so well with my ATV ... now I need to get another ATV for the bedroom !!!

:)

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I just use the OctoMac Pro here at work :D - it's freeee....

9. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

My first reaction was 'I hate you' because I'd love to benefit from that speed... but by the time I went to type out this response I no longer hate but am happy that you have access to that... :D

10. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Yup. I have access to a couple of 8-way HP Xeon workstations that I use to chew through my DVD catalog. :D

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah it's cool man - I feel no hate, only love.

How amazingly good is Handbrake on 8 cores - it f*cking flies through everything you throw at it. I'd get a Mac Pro if I could afford it as my next desktop just for that reason. DVDs would become like CDs are now, buy a disc, rip it, put it in a box and leave alone, repeat.

12. SirOmega macrumors 6502a

This is what I came to say. I just bought an Intel Q9450 for my PC and overclocked it to 3.2 and it tears through handbrake encodes now. I use dvddecryptor to get all the ISOs, then set it up to batch through the night on 8 discs, generating a PS3 version (~2GB) and an iPhone version (~750MB). I wake up and its done, and I've got 8 more movies to watch. I've got about 200 DVDs to go through (80 or so movies, and then a ton of TV shows), so the quad core pays immense dividends.

Still it would encode the same speed if it were a hackintosh so its not the OS, its just that hardware for PCs is cheaper than Macs, but we all knew that (especially considering I didn't have to replace the entire thing, just pop in a new CPU and flash the BIOS).

Though if I manage to make lots of money on my iPhone game, I think an Octomac will be first up to be purchased (especially considering how well they hold resale value).

13. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

Not so sure about that, while H264 files are clearer I find they lose alot of color vibrancy, I still use Mpeg 4 for alot of my TV encodes because I have alot of TV stuff to ttransfer, and I think it looks a bit more vibrant, the larger file size isn't as much of an issue with the dropping HD prices.

14. cbtlr macrumors newbie

Nothing wrong with still having a Powerbook still a great mac I applaud you for not keeping up with the jones's, that's how you save money, so while Bill Smith has the latest Mac Pro in his rented dump of a home you can feel proud you're living in a mansion with a beatup powermac, do the best work on whatever mac you have & save your bucks, don't get into debt collecting the newest shiniest new toys.

Your problem - 1st) As someone else suggested you should rip to your hard drive with mac the ripper (get a new version from a t o r r e n t site, don't feel bad about that it's software performing mainly an illegal operation so why shouldn't you get it for free instead of making a donation.

2) Elgato .h256 (this usb stick uses it's own chip for encoding) worth the 100 bucks it costs for older macs and new, I use on both a PMac G5 and an Intel Core Duo 2, I get around 75fps on the MBP and 50fps on the G5 encoding a VIDEO_TS or an .avi etc. takes all the strain off your mac.

Good Luck

15. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Encoding on a G4

Hey,

First off, that G4 can still be used to encode through Handbrake to aTV or iPod etc. Simple, stay away from H264. Use FFMPEG or XVID which are computationally less intensive than H.264 and therefore produce lower quality videos at the same bit rates.

As a feeler - I used to backup with MPEG 4 part 2 (Xvid / DivX) with 700MB files per film. These were normal TV resolutions.

These would encode on my 1.5GHz 12PB at around 24FPS. I always carry out 2-pass encoding so that slows things down on the second pass. I also suggest using Mac The Ripper to rip the whole Image to your HDD, and pointing Handbrake to that image - it creates less wear on you optical drive.

Put that G4 to good use - there are still guys & girls out there writing PPC enhanced code for FFMPEG, X264 and XVid - G4's have plenty of life in them!

F

16. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Anything quad core Intel will smoke the Elgato Turbo H.264 stick. I had the original Mac Pro which was getting 100-180fps (depending on settings) just fine. The 8-way systems can easily run two copies of Handbrake and get 100-180 fps each.

Recent dual cores can get slightly better performance than the Turbo H.264 as well, and have better options for tweaking the quality than Elgato's software provides. It is sure equally fast on all machines, but I have stuff that it just never would encode adequately and make me happy with the result.

17. Oneness macrumors regular

I have a 1.25ghz g4 with 1.5gb ram and handbrake is excruciatingly (sp?) slow. A 4gb movie ripped with MtR will take around 24 hr:)eek:) to encode.
    Thanks to Ctbr for the tip about the Elgato product I will have to look into that.
    PPC forever!!!!

18. cazlar macrumors 6502

I thought the elgato stick only sped up quicktime encodes? Or does it also work on HB now? I was looking at this a while back, but ended up with an Intel mac anyway.

19. dynaflash macrumors 68020

The elgato stick does its own thing. Has nothing to do with HandBrake. Its fast, though largely because it does much lower quality encodes (as well as off loading the encoding to its own chip).

20. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Just make sure that you turn de-interlacing on for TV shows.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

A faster CPU. When I went from a 1.5Ghz G4 Mac Mini to a 2.16Ghz MacBook Pro, it brought my time down below how long the video actually was. Before, I think it was about 110-120% of the time. Doubling my RAM on here didn't help much, which tells me it's all about the CPU.

So go plunk down $3500 and get you a 3.06Ghz Mac Pro. :)

22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Make sure you rip stuff from HandBrake directly to your computer's hard drive. I couldn't tell if you did that or not, but ripping directly to an external drive will slow you down.

FYI, I do something similar except I hook two 500GB hard drives to an AEBS. I can then copy them to those drives when done here and add them to my iTunes library. Sync that up with ATV and it will stream them from the hard drives as long as iTunes is up (which is why I sync up an iMac's library instead of a notebook).

23. bpdougd macrumors newbie

Performance affected by GPU?

Is handbrake performance affected by the GPU? In my recent experience, it appears to be. My older gen 1 Mac Pro (2 x 2.66Ghz Xeons, 6GB 667Mhz RAM) just got a video card transplant. I swapped the original 7300GT for a new ATI 4870. My rip times were cut in half. Quite an improvement, making this a worthwhile upgrade.

24. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

25. bpdougd macrumors newbie

Interesting. I did a stopwatch test.

With 7300GT, rip takes 1 hour 33 minutes.

With ATI 4870, rip takes 47 minutes.

Nothing changed except the video card, same DVD, same system. I can't explain what is going on. I just know that with the new graphics card a rip is a one-beverage proposition. :cool: