Handbrake 0.9.3 released

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PilotWoo, Nov 23, 2008.

1. PilotWoo macrumors regular

New version of handbrake out today. No longer crashes when loading some sources, however fps has gone from 24 to average of 12 on a Core2Duo 2.16 for the AppleTV preset!

New features...

Universal input - HandBrake is no longer limited to DVDs
    Video quality - HandBrake 0.9.3 integrates the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library.
    Audio flexibility - HandBrake now offers total control over multiple audio tracks.
    No more internal DVD decryption
    Persistent queues - Queued jobs are cached to disk for safekeeping between sessions.
    New, better organized presets
    Audio-video synchronization - HandBrake should now keep lip-synch as well as a DVD player can.
    Decomb filter
    Multi-threaded deinterlacing
    "Same as source framerate" really is the same as the source framerate
    Theora video encoding
    Updated libraries
    Massive improvements to all interfaces

2. kolax macrumors G3

Good - didn't get a positive response when I asked on the HandBrake forums (and grumbles here too) for the ability to freely change the resolution (i.e. increase the width beyond the source's width) so I can convert 4:3 content (such as South Park) to 16:9.

Forget the blackbars argument, I just want to eventually replace VisualHub since it is no longer in development, and changing 4:3 content to 16:9 is something I do every week (with South Park, American Dad and Family Guy).

3. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

What exactly does no more internal dvd decryption mean? Does that mean it can no longer decrypt protected dvds?

4. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Why don't you go read the announcement?

http://handbrake.fr/?article=9

5. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

it means that handbrake does not do the internal dvd decryption anymore, it uses VLC's codecs and librarys to decrypt the dvd instead.

6. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

I did...it still didnt make sense to me as to what they were stating on this topic..

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

8. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

So its still going to decrypt, but use different librarys and codecs to decrypt, is this going to effect speed any?

9. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

Handbrake 0.9.3 video converter thoughts..

Well, i tried converting videos on the new handbrake, and i have to say it works and its pretty decent. but visualhub by far still kicks handbrakes converters butt. i converted the same movie file into the same thing, and visualhub seems to do it much more efficiently and faster. meaning my CPU isnt blown up sky high, and theres not a lot of heat disappating from my macbook then when i use handbrakes video converter.
    overall i gotta say the video converter is a great idea. but i think it might need a little more work. cuz visualhub is what im still sticking with for now

10. NightStorm macrumors 68000

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Wow, thanks for the heads up on the new release. Just doing a test encode now. Seems quite slow but I am encoding a 1080p film which I guess is pretty intense :). Seems to fully utilise your CPU (a good thing).

I think the increased time could be due to the fact that the settings are by default better quality. You'll have to play around in the advanced tab to see what is the best in terms of quality and speed.

For reference I'm getting 6fps encoding to the Apple TV preset a 1080p film (the only change to the preset was to remove the anamorphic setting and to restore it to full 1080p resolution).

Edit : That's on a 2006 Mac Pro by the way.

12. kolax macrumors G3

VisualHub does encode quicker - a 20 minute episode takes about 10 minutes in VisualHub and 16 minutes in HandBrake. Using the Apple TV preset (target file size 180MB) in VisualHub and Apple TV preset in HandBrake (target file size 180MB).

13. eddyg macrumors 6502

No change to speed, no change to functionality, just means an extra download of "VLC" if you don't already have it, or it means updating it if you have an older copy.

It's simply a way of working around legal issues of bundling the decryption libs with HandBrake.

Cheers, Ed.

14. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

I can't get an update through Handbrakes 'Check for updates'.
    Says 0.9.2/2008021900 is the current version.
    :confused:

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just get it from their website. the updater doesnt show it yet

16. sr55 macrumors newbie

The updater won't show the update for a few days / a week or so. Server Load is a concern that needs to be watched.

17. G-Com macrumors regular

I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a notice.

18. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Awesome! just about to try out the windows version, i've tried so many converters in windows and nothing works like i want it too, used to use visual hub and handbrake on my mac without any trouble so hopefully this will convert my files to mp4 for itunes and Touch (fingers crossed).

19. G-Com macrumors regular

No longer being supported. I just did a clean install and VisualHub officially qualifies for OldApps.com.

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Visual Hub has been open sourced for your information. You can download the source code and compile a new version yourself.

Edit : Should be noted the open source version is not fully functional.

21. eddyg macrumors 6502

If you used target size then your not using the atv preset. The new atv preset in hb (if left unaltered) should make the resultant movie indistinguishable from the source (on an atv at least).

The VH preset was not of as high a quality. You can drop the quality on the preset by changing some of the advanced h264 options and ensuring that decomb and vfr are disabled, which is what I do for eyetv encodes using hb.

Cheers Ed

22. G-Com macrumors regular

Me? :eek:

23. PilotWoo thread starter macrumors regular

I can't live with the speed of the new version, so it's back to 0.9.2 until they release something a bit quicker.

24. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Or use the Apple legacy presets that use the same settings as .9.2...

25. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As I said before it has nothing to do with the intrinsic speed of the program. It is exactly the same speed. The only change is the settings you are using.