Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Is there any chance of a timer being included? I know there is an ETA timer, but an actual timer that tells you how long the encode actually took would be useful.

Well, your encode logs tells you the average fps of the encode.

"[10:37:48] work: average encoding speed for job is 144.824905 fps"

but its not shown in the gui. you will see it right at the end of the encode.

No, there is nothing that tells you how much time it took.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
New version of handbrake out today. No longer crashes when loading some sources, however fps has gone from 24 to average of 12 on a Core2Duo 2.16 for the AppleTV preset!

New features...

Universal input - HandBrake is no longer limited to DVDs
Video quality - HandBrake 0.9.3 integrates the latest improvements to the H.264 encoding library.
Audio flexibility - HandBrake now offers total control over multiple audio tracks.
No more internal DVD decryption
Persistent queues - Queued jobs are cached to disk for safekeeping between sessions.
New, better organized presets
Audio-video synchronization - HandBrake should now keep lip-synch as well as a DVD player can.
Decomb filter
Multi-threaded deinterlacing
"Same as source framerate" really is the same as the source framerate
Theora video encoding
Updated libraries
Massive improvements to all interfaces

An absolutely crappy update, not to mention the fact the built-in DVD decryption does not exist anymore.

In fact, EVERY single video file I've tried to convert to AppleTV format causes HB to crash before even one-quarter of the conversion process is complete.

If you feel like testing it, DO NOT erase version 0.9.2; you will probably need to revert to it. As for video file conversion, just use the free iSquint and be happy.

A terrible job, HB team; hopefully you will do better for 0.9.4.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
An absolutely crappy update, not to mention the fact the built-in DVD decryption does not exist anymore.

In fact, EVERY single video file I've tried to convert to AppleTV format causes HB to crash before even one-quarter of the conversion process is complete.

If you feel like testing it, DO NOT erase version 0.9.2; you will probably need to revert to it. As for video file conversion, just use the free iSquint and be happy.

Hmmm...my experience was just the opposite. A couple of movies that crashed .92 regularly now work.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Well, your encode logs tells you the average fps of the encode.

"[10:37:48] work: average encoding speed for job is 144.824905 fps"

but its not shown in the gui. you will see it right at the end of the encode. No, there is nothing that tells you how much time it took.

Ah - I could just check the time started and finishing time in the log and work out the overall duration. Pity it couldn't be automated ;)

Is there any plans to enable stitching two videos together?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

Get over yourself... There are far more people using it without a problem. You want it fixed, provide some information to help identify the problems.

If you're content using isquint for your one, handbrake isn't going to be for you as the devs have put quality over speed.

Personally, Ive been more than happy with the quality and stability of .9.3.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Get over yourself... There are far more people using it without a problem. You want it fixed, provide some information to help identify the problems.

If you're content using isquint for your one, handbrake isn't going to be for you as the devs have put quality over speed.

Personally, Ive been more than happy with the quality and stability of .9.3.

I wasn't even talking about quality, I am talking about stability. If you are having luck, whatever. I've used HB for almost a year now without any major issues, and I have all the right to complain when someone screws up.

So don't disregard reports from more than one person about HB's dismal stability for 0.9.3. You can read them in this very thread. As for a short description of the crash, see below and chill out.

Process: HandBrake [3850]
Path: /Applications/HandBrake.app/Contents/MacOS/HandBrake
Identifier: org.m0k.handbrake
Version: 0.9.3 (2008112300)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [98]

Date/Time: 2008-11-30 13:33:33.762 +0100
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000022
Crashed Thread: Unknown

Thread 0:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902864a6 mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028dc9c mach_msg + 72
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d30ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 1790
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d3cf8 CFRunLoopRunInMode + 88
4 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9619a480 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 283
5 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9619a299 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 374
6 com.apple.HIToolbox 0x9619a10d BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 106
7 com.apple.AppKit 0x910233ed _DPSNextEvent + 657
8 com.apple.AppKit 0x91022ca0 -[NSApplication nextEventMatchingMask:untilDate:inMode:dequeue:] + 128
9 com.apple.AppKit 0x9101bcdb -[NSApplication run] + 795
10 com.apple.AppKit 0x90fe8f14 NSApplicationMain + 574
11 org.m0k.handbrake 0x00002f06 start + 54

Thread 1:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902865c6 mach_wait_until + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe1e5 nanosleep + 314
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe0a5 usleep + 61
3 org.m0k.handbrake 0x00039c9a thread_func + 170
4 org.m0k.handbrake 0x0003fc8a hb_thread_func + 74
5 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b76f5 _pthread_start + 321
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b75b2 thread_start + 34

Thread 2:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902865c6 mach_wait_until + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe1e5 nanosleep + 314
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902fe0a5 usleep + 61
3 org.m0k.handbrake 0x00039c9a thread_func + 170
4 org.m0k.handbrake 0x0003fc8a hb_thread_func + 74

Thread 3:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028d68e __semwait_signal + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b836d pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003 + 73
2 com.apple.QuartzCore 0x94a44bb9 fe_fragment_thread + 54
3 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b76f5 _pthread_start + 321
4 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b75b2 thread_start + 34

Thread 4:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028d68e __semwait_signal + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028d456 usleep$UNIX2003 + 61
2 com.apple.AppKit 0x91089861 -[NSUIHeartBeat _heartBeatThread:] + 2042
3 com.apple.Foundation 0x91a4dbad -[NSThread main] + 45
4 com.apple.Foundation 0x91a4d754 __NSThread__main__ + 308

Thread 5:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902864a6 mach_msg_trap + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9028dc9c mach_msg + 72
2 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d30ce CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 1790
3 com.apple.CoreFoundation 0x968d3d54 CFRunLoopRun + 84
4 com.apple.DesktopServices 0x96c65e83 TSystemNotificationTask::SystemNotificationTaskProc(void*) + 123
5 ...ple.CoreServices.CarbonCore 0x964e8463 PrivateMPEntryPoint + 56
6 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b76f5 _pthread_start + 321
7 libSystem.B.dylib 0x902b75b2 thread_start + 34

Jelite

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
UK
Awesome! just about to try out the windows version, i've tried so many converters in windows and nothing works like i want it too, used to use visual hub and handbrake on my mac without any trouble so hopefully this will convert my files to mp4 for itunes and Touch (fingers crossed).

So i've got through over 60 avi conversions now and only had one that got stuck and a couple that the sound has gone out of sync, this programme is better than any other converter i've used in windows by a country mile.

:)

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I wasn't even talking about quality, I am talking about stability. If you are having luck, whatever. I've used HB for almost a year now without any major issues, and I have all the right to complain when someone screws up.

If you actually paid for it, I might agree with this. But not when it's free...

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
I've done over 170 titles total, and around 10 with the new version. No problems so far.

Hey, BRLawyer, ever think that it might be your own problem? With your own machine? There are tens of people on here saying that theirs is working perfectly. Shouldn't take much of a logic jump to come to the conclusion there's something unique about YOUR setup which is causing the problems.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Worked well for me

Was able to do Wall-E, which was not possible with the previous. Although the process does take longer in comparison using the exact same presets. Using a MB it use to take about 30 min per movie, now it's more like 50 min.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Well, then all of your videos you own must be exactly the same and cause HB to crash, as of this post HB 0.9.3 is very close to a half million downloads and afaict you are one of very few to have this problem, now by your nick I will assume you are some sort of a lawyer or something so should be able to do the math ... hmmmm.
Maybe ... maybe not

Suggestion: maybe go onto the HB forums and post a real HB activity log so the dev's can see exactly what your source is doing. That Apple Crash Report is a joke and doesn't say anything. Odds are its a known bug which was to be expected on the first release that introduces universal source video format into an app that has always only read one source.

Otoh, 0.9.2 was in fact a fine release and you can always enjoy that. As far as iSquint ... it was aptly named as you have to be blind to be satisfied with the quality. Cripes, you could have at least popped the nominal fee to upgrade to its paid sibling VisualHub.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
If you actually paid for it, I might agree with this. But not when it's free...

Of course I can complain if it doesn't work. The fact that it's free doesn't mean it's impervious to criticism. 0.9.2 worked, 0.9.3 doesn't, period.

And for those thinking that I am the only one, just check this very thread for other people with similar experiences, or google it to find countless other forums where the same problem is identified.

Finally, iSquint works fine for me, thanks very much. Oh no...in fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

So much for a perfect software; just see the various negative comments on 0.9.3:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117&mode=feedback

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Of course I can complain if it doesn't work. The fact that it's free doesn't mean it's impervious to criticism. 0.9.2 worked, 0.9.3 doesn't, period.

And for those thinking that I am the only one, just check this very thread for other people with similar experiences, or google it to find countless other forums where the same problem is identified.

Finally, iSquint works fine for me, thanks very much. In fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

There's an attitude you can take for a paid application not working, and there's an attitude you can take for a free application not working. Your attitude falls in the wrong category.

I use VisualHub and have had no problems with it since updating HandBrake. I don't even think HandBrake touches iSquint/VisualHub's ffmpeg stuff.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

Finally, iSquint works fine for me, thanks very much. Oh no...in fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

So much for a perfect software; just see the various negative comments on 0.9.3:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117&mode=feedback
Let's organize a class action lawsuit! How dare they upset/inconvenience a very small part of their userbase! We'll take them for all their worth! :rolleyes:

Handbrake doesn't touch any other installation of ffmpeg on your machine. Trust me, I've got the ffmpeg source and binary, along with a copy of VisualHub, installed on my hard drive and they all work perfectly fine... just like HandBrake .9.3.

I'm still waiting to see an activity log...

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Oh no...in fact, it STOPPED working after I installed HB 0.9.3. And I think I've discovered the culprit; the new HB seems to have a bug related to ffmpeg on OS X. That's the crash message I saw on iSquint, at least, which I've never had before.

Hahaha, you have to be kidding. HB uses its own ffmpeg lib inside the package. As NightStorm pointed out, its technically impossible for HB to affect iSquint. You do realize its an applescript gui to ffmpeg, right ?

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Hahaha, you have to be kidding. HB uses its own ffmpeg lib inside the package. As NightStorm pointed out, its technically impossible for HB to affect iSquint. You do realize its an applescript gui to ffmpeg, right ?

First of all, I don't care if the app is free; if it was working before and not working now, I can complain as any other user out there. What to do afterwards? Either stop using it or switch to another app...I don't feel like proselytizing anyone, and there is no need to sue anyone or start a class action.

In fact, posters in other threads (including HB's) identified a problem with the dropdown menus that relate to codecs, so this might have something to do with the issue; but I am not really sure about it, so let's leave it out for now.

At least in those same threads I found one workaround for people who are having problems (which are many, not just me):

In the UNIVERSAL or APPLETV presets, DESELECT the second audio channel in the audio pane...this way I was able to convert a video file to my AppleTV. Hope this helps.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
In fact, posters in other threads (including HB's) identified a problem with the dropdown menus that relate to codecs, so this might have something to do with the issue; but I am not really sure about it, so let's leave it out for now.

At least in those same threads I found one workaround for people who are having problems (which are many, not just me):

In the UNIVERSAL or APPLETV presets, DESELECT the second audio channel in the audio pane...this way I was able to convert a video file to my AppleTV. Hope this helps.

Yes, and this would have been the recommendation here... if you would have ever produced an activity log so we could see what you were doing.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH

Yes, and this would have been our recommendation here... if you would have ever produced an activity log so we could see what you were doing. Regardless, I'm glad you were able to find a solution to your problem, and I believe work is (or has) been done to correct this in HB.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008

Thanks BRLawyer, your tip stopped the crashing I was experiencing with avi conversions. Incidentally, do you or anyone else know why handbrake doubles the file size when encoding .avi files to m4v? VisualHub is even worse.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks BRLawyer, your tip stopped the crashing I was experiencing with avi conversions. Incidentally, do you or anyone else know why handbrake doubles the file size when encoding .avi files to m4v? VisualHub is even worse.

Do you know why my car is loud?

Come on, how vague a description is that. You didn't mention what preset you were using and what settings.

Changepoint

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
Do you know why my car is loud?

Come on, how vague a description is that. You didn't mention what preset you were using and what settings.

I'm just using the new apple tv preset, which greys out the two pass option (maybe that's the reason it's making them so big).

have you checked the exhaust?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.