Handbrake: I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by GotPro, Mar 3, 2008.

1. GotPro macrumors 6502

So I noticed that if I rip to the hdd, THEN encode... I'm getting 300% CPU utilization.

However, if I run Handbrake righto off the DVD... I'm only utilizing 95-105% CPU utilization... obviously the CPUS are starved for data that the DVD Drives simply can not provide quickly enough.

Total time using 2-pass from DVD is averaging 20-25 minutes.

If I rip first, it takes 6-9 minutes to rip, 10-15 minutes to encode.

It's a bit of a hassle to save 3-4 minutes per DVD.

However... it dawned on me that I POSSIBLY could run multiple instances as I have 2 DVD drives...

Check out the picture ;-)

Ripping / Encoding 2 Instances... no slow down from running just one :)

Now if I can only get a couple of incredibly fast ripping-speed DVD drives...

I LOVE THIS MACHINE :)

Attached Files:

2. fsron macrumors member

RichardHunter,
    You're running a single quad core machine, correct? That's looking pretty good.

3. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep!

Just a lowly 4 cores in this monster :)

Thanks!

I get more excited about this machine every day!

4. MikeL macrumors 6502

That's handy, but it's a lot more efficient to rip a bunch of DVDs and set up a queue. Handbrake's queueing feature is one of its best, IMO.

5. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

I may indeed do this in the future.

For the time being... I'm only ripping my collection as I want to watch them... syncing with my iPhone, and watching the movie on my TV through my iphone connector.

At some point, I'll have my entire collection in iTunes.. and will then spring for an Apple TV and just be rockin'

;-)

6. supercooled macrumors 6502a

The iPhone can playback 720p? Sorry if that sounds facetious but I really want to know. If not, why would you rip it to the iPhone format?

I should rip some movies but I don't have a Touch nor an iPhone. I have a Nokia N800 though. Gotta love living in a incompatible world!

7. ray_uk macrumors member

His encoding to DVD res

:D

His encoding at DVD resolution 720 x 480, not 720p that would be a high definition resolution of 1280x720

:D

8. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, guys...

The reason I'm encoding at iPhone resolutions is that I travel a lot.

I've got a DVD player if I want a higher resolution... but most TVs in most Hotel Rooms are just standard definition... and the iphone output looks just fine :)

So... before I leave for a trip.. I load up a bunch of movies on my iPhone... and free movies in the Hotel :)

9. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

I'm ordering mine tomorrow, cant wait, ordered 8gb from otherworld already, cant wait to render with maya on it, i also need to re-encode a lot of dvd's at a higher rate than i did originally so thatll be cool.

10. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

I got 15fps on my Mac Mini with 200% processor usage. :( Takes like 4 hours DVD -> AppleTV with 2 passes.

Can use it at the same time though. :D

11. shecky Guest

shecky

i just ripped a 1:30 minute long movie last night on the MP in my sig, took about 25 mins in iphone quality off the DVD. i kind of thought it would be even faster than that with 8 cores, since i can do the same movie on my MPB with 2 cores in about 50 minutes. i may have to try ripping off the DVD first then the encode.

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i'm just doing the first season of spaced

there should be 6 episodes (maybe 7 come to think of it) - but it just comes out as one big 2h50m single 'movie' with 35 chapters.

Is there anyway to capture box sets (thats what i watch most of the time, in the gym etc) episode at a time? Or do i have to manually capture scenes 1-6, 7-12 etc...

Oh and PS - i've got the Qcore 2.8 too! Freaking Rocks!! (Except the Wireless internet, sort it out apple).

I can't actually hear the disc spinning or any fans going. Is this normal when ripping a DVD? If i didn't know it was doing this i'd swear there wasn't even a disc in the drive. It is *super* quite, as SJ would say

13. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I've been ripping at a slightly higher quality (3000kbps, and deinterlacing), and it takes me c. 2 hours to rip just one (of four) episode off a DVD, so it'd take 8 hours or more in total. Yikes. (This is on a MBP 1.8GHz).

14. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

oh and also, "ripping to the HDD first then encoding" - is that short hand for set handbreak going on 'normal' then when the file is done use something like iSquint to put it in iPod format?

15. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yup, you can select each episode from the "Title" popup menu. Though they aren't named, you usually can tell by the length (roughly one hour) of each title, or by playing the DVD itself and noting the chapter number each episode starts on.

16. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey... whats going on with your Wireless Internet... mine works flawlessly... ??? What should I look for? Is there something that is a widespread problem?

I've yet to regret not getting the extra 2.8... if I want more speed in the future... I'll sell my 2.8 to someone that needs it and buy a single 3.2 :)

Another GREAT benefit to the Quad Core vs the Octo Core... MUCH LESS EXPENSIVE to upgrade the CPU Speed in the future ;-) hehehe

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

Can't you do something with something called Riplock that makes it all faster?

I really don't know anything about it, but I remember reading that Riplock makes this process more difficult, and it can be defeated.

18. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Head over to the OS X forum, makes sad reading.

19. Meep macrumors member

Is the second CPU slot just blanked out on the single cpu Mac Pro or do they have a special motherboard?

Also does the Mac Pro require you to have symetrical cpus ie do you have to have two 2.8Ghz or can you have on 2.8Ghz and 3.2Ghz?

20. GotPro thread starter macrumors 6502

Same motherboard. Must use same CPUS. The second CPU is just empty.

You can add a second CPU later... but I'd rather spend my money on a single 3.2 upgrade than a second 2.8.

I've YET to see an advantage FOR ME in having 4 more cores!!!

21. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

can someone post their workflow on moving a film DVD to an iPod video, say, and moving a DVD to just normal format playable on a laptop through QuickTime/VLC etc

22. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Isn't that kinda slow? I was hoping for better performance. Man, am I going to be dissapointed when my Mac Pro arrives! I had a 2.8 Dual Xeon rig that I built back in 2005 that used to rip DVD in 7-15 minutes.

Or, am I to understand that you ripped, then encoded to another format? Is that the reason for the slow down?

If that's the case, how long does it take to just do a 1-to-1 rip? (As in, then burn with Toast?)

23. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Hey iBlue - where'd you get that background of the lights on in the world? It's awesome and I want it!

24. krye macrumors 68000

krye