Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oomega1

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
gosh, no multi-tasking!?!?!?!? I may not get one after all, I mean come on! There is already no camera. =/ At least some of the apps should be allowed mult-tasking! Yeah not to mention flash. No go for me.

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
I wasn't sure at first either... after watching the video though I am a little more sold... I love the price point though. If I can convince my wife we will be all over one (even with just wifi). It will be an excellent solution for us as we don't have a laptop and are kinda tired of the tiny screens on our iPhone's leaving us wanting more when it comes to a web browser.... and for $500 entry level I think it is a good price... wonder when they will end up in Canada though for me to play with....

hansinderen

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2008
i bet multitasking wil be updated in the next version of this OS (4.0) used on the iphone and the itab.

redskinsf

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
San Francisco
iPad

People need to get over the fact that the new iPad doesn't have a camera.. it's not a 'lack of a camera' .. Apple's intent with the iPad IS NOT to replace a laptop or netbook.. this device is more geared towards the Kindle with a bunch of extra options.. which also means the lack of multitasking really isn't that big of a deal.. if you want the ability to multitask or video conference than get your Macbook Pro out and use iChat at the same time as whatever other applications you're using! I think the one and only thing that people could righteously complain about is the fact that the browser does not include flash support. People have too large of expectations, this product is meant to compliment your laptop and iPhone... not to replace either of them completely. I honestly doubt they will ever put iChat or a camera in this thing unless they beef it up even closer to what a laptop offers. So holding out thinking you'll get something better in the future probably isn't a good idea. If your laptop has everything you need, and the iPad lacks things you need, then the iPad simply IS NOT FOR YOU. :cool:

Lack of multitasking is a real pain. Hopefully this will get fixed in a software update soon. Lack of a camera is worse, and will likely make me hold off. Maybe..... I really want something that I can use without wanting to pull out my laptop - if I'm on skype, I want a camera. Which will make me want to drag my laptop out, which defeats the purpose of having this product in my mind at the moment. Maybe a docking peripheral?? But not really adequate.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
Heres what I love about the iPad

iTunes the design is gorgeus Love the display it beats the media player on the iPhone/ipod touch hands down.

Calender Much More Layed out beter fited to look at Monthly view.

iBooks. I think this is the first key that will make it a hit looks very nice and great layout

iWorks also another great tool set.

MLB at Bat. this will be great to use. Sure sports fans will get into this.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
What version OS??

iPad Firmware 1.0??
iPad Firmware 3.2??
iPhone Firmware 3.2??
Something else??

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
Watch the vid on Apple's site. You'll change your opinion.

The video changed my opinion on the device. Apple really knows how to make some good propaganda videos. ;):D
The iPad looks tremendously better in that video than any of the photos.

Jollins

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2006
See the blatant similarity between the iPad and the iPhone was a huge mistake by Apple today (in my eyes). The device looks amazing, has great specs (except for the lack of camera), and is priced fairly right. However, the software looks like a desktop running the iPhone OS. The small clock on the locked screen looks pathetic along with the little unlock slider. The app icons on the desktop and dock look just as bad, like they weren't made to run on the device. I think they should have changed the OS to be slightly different at least. A new home screen, bigger/scalable icons, and the ability to put more than 4 apps in the dock would've gone a long way to avoid all of the "bloated iPhone" talk.

Bottom line is that (IMO) the iPad just looks unfinished and unpolished.
Agreed. Perhaps 4.0 fixes those issues, but it seems un-Apple-ish to release this thing in March-April and then give it a major software update only a few months later. If that's their plan, why show it off now?

madforrit

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Berkeley, CA
It's the developers that will make or break this device, and judging by what they've done with the iPhone/iPod, the iPad will become more and more useful and be able to do more of the things that are missing right now.

Apple provided the foundation...the incredibly robust developer community will take us forward.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
WANT:

-The ability to download a free book sample from the ibookstore. This is a HUGE benefit of the Kindle - you get a lot too - sometimes the first 10% of a book, MORE than enough to decide whether to purchase

-The ability to store/access/share files across apps, including PDFs. They MUST have a plan for this, for iWork alone if nothing else. Perhaps a more robust solution comes with 4.0/multitasking (which begs the Q, raised above, of why they just didn't wait and announce this at the same time as 4.0)

sgosine

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
Boulder Colorado
Waited so long I'll take what I can get!

I agree it would have been really nice to have the FF camera, but not having at least 1 USB or mini USB port and a SD card to me is a big flaw.
That would have at least given it some extra flexibility for those of us who like to do more than surf the internets read e-books and email.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It's the developers that will make or break this device, and judging by what they've done with the iPhone/iPod, the iPad will become more and more useful and be able to do more of the things that are missing right now.

Apple provided the foundation...the incredibly robust developer community will take us forward.

Perfectly stated.

muskratboy

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
might as well go buy yourself a shiny new laptop that will spank this thing into next week!!!!!:

especially on the multi-touch screen (so like a netbook)!

and with the GPS that all netbooks have!

and with those netbooky compasses and accelerometers and whatnot!

obviously, any netbook can do anything the ipad can!

21ce

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
What are you talking about with tablet makers? Apple didn't exactly make a tablet, they built a hybrid between an iPhone and an underpowered tablet. Most tablets have much more functionality than the iPad, so essentially what you are saying is that added functionality leads to a bad product? I don't think so.. :confused: Apple has done a few things right with this by creating something that is sexy, thin, and light but it lacks in the functionality that many other tablet makers allow. There is no ability to run background apps, you cant use a stylus to write notes(students), and you are limited to apps just from the app store.

Oh, and as a side note; not everyone is giving it "rave" reviews. So far from what I have read, the reviews are pretty neutral (engadget, techcrunch, and gizmodo). I also feel like a lot of people/bloggers/nerds/tech-savy people are asking the same question. "Why do we need this?"

at the end of the day though, I will probably end up buying one to put on my nightstand, and chances are it will never leave it.

I guess I still haven't made up my mind about this.

I honestly feel you have posted the most reasonable response yet, thank you! I understand this is a mac forum and I am a big mac fan as well, but I definitely do not want to follow BLINDLY. This tablet is supposed to compete with the netbook market, I get that, but it is far from being as capable as it should be. 499 for a giant iPod touch@ 16gb or $629! for the same thing but 3g capable. Which, unless they have greatly tweaked the 3g battery draining issue, seems very unlikely to have a 10 hour battery life. At least wonder to yourself is it worth $500 to have an internet browser...or pay a whopping 900 for the highest model when you can get a macbook pro for $200 more. If they actually sold these products at netbook prices I could understand.

They had a 1 1/2 hour + conference talking about how EXTRAORDINARY this device was, because they re-did the OS for a larger screen and because it can go on the internet. Please feel free to be upset with my response, I would not be defensive in the least bit. I just want the hype responses to subside and I really wanna know who this device is targeted towards.

smeagol

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2003
New York
Lack of multitasking is a real pain. Hopefully this will get fixed in a software update soon. Lack of a camera is worse, and will likely make me hold off. Maybe..... I really want something that I can use without wanting to pull out my laptop - if I'm on skype, I want a camera. Which will make me want to drag my laptop out, which defeats the purpose of having this product in my mind at the moment. Maybe a docking peripheral?? But not really adequate.

No front or rear facing camera, no SD card slot, no hdmi or displayport, no usb port, no flash support, no ultra thin bezel, no 16:9 aspect ratio. All features I can sorta kinda live without... but no multi-tasking? Awww hell no :mad: looks like I'm back to lusting after the macbook air for all my ultra portable needs :rolleyes: and what kinda name is iPad anyway, is Apple trying to outdo Nintendo?

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I'll buy it

I'll buy one, but

I'm not happy that there isn't CURRENTLY any multi-tasking on the device.
REALLY think that not having ANY cameras is missing the boat.
Would like a bit more of an accessible platform/OS to be able to do things like view DVD rips, or my own movies.
think that battery life is going to be an issue.

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
I haven't been following the tablet rumors too much, so I didn't have high hopes so to speak. I knew if it existed and I liked it, I might buy it. That being said I don't like it and it seems like a disappointment to me. In fact I'd even go as far as to say I think it's ugly. Sorry Apple, I won't buy one of these. I think it'll be the next Apple TV. Weak.

gber

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Such a let down really. No multitasking. The lack of a front webcam is a no go for me. I will have to wait for the 3rd generation.

jeffereyj

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
no drag-and-drop of files?

what hasn't been mentioned is the ability to drag-and-drop files from your Mac to the Tablet.

if you still have to be forced into "syncing" only, that's super lame.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.