Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Before every new iPhone release, we're often inundated with rumors, part leaks, mockups, and dummy models, giving us a clear picture of what to expect when the new devices come out.

This year is no exception, and we've managed to get our hands on dummy models that are said to resemble the rumored 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch iPhones that are coming in 2018, both of which offer up a look at the sizes and designs we can expect from the 2018 iPhone lineup.

Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup, like the 2017 lineup, will include three phones, but the lineup's composition is unlike anything we've seen before. Apple is planning to introduce a 5.8-inch OLED iPhone that's a follow up to the iPhone X, a 6.5-inch OLED iPhone that can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus," and a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone that's going to have a much lower price tag than the two OLED iPhones.

We don't have a dummy model of the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone to go along with dummy models of the upcoming 6.1 and 6.5-inch iPhones, because it's going to look identical to the existing iPhone X, so we've used a real iPhone X to compare to the two dummy models.

2018iphonelineupdummy-800x518.jpg
iPhone X (left), 6.1-inch iPhone dummy (center), 6.5-inch iPhone dummy (right)​

All three of the 2018 iPhones feature an edge-to-edge display that adopts Face ID and a TrueDepth camera system, marking the official end of Touch ID for new iPhones. To house the TrueDepth camera, there will be a notch on all three iPhones, just as there was on the iPhone X.

The middle-tier 6.1-inch iPhone uses an LCD display instead of an OLED display to keep costs down, which means that the bezels of that device are slightly thicker than the bezels of the 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch iPhones. The 6.1-inch iPhone dummy also features a single-lens camera, in line with rumors that Apple will stick with a single camera for cost purposes.

61inchiphonedummymodel2018-800x571.jpg
6.1-inch iPhone dummy model​

A dual-camera setup is expected for both the second-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X model and the 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" model, and we can perhaps expect some camera improvements, as Apple typically introduces new camera features with each iPhone upgrade.

Rumors have also suggested the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will have an aluminum frame rather than the more durable stainless steel frame expected in the two more expensive devices, but other than the frame, the camera, the slightly thicker bezels, and the screen sizes, these devices are expected to be nearly identical.

2018iphonedummymodels-800x557.jpg
6.1-inch and 6.5-inch iPhone dummy models​

All will include Apple's next-generation A12 processor, according to rumors, along with faster Intel-made LTE chips. RAM could be a differentiating factor, though, with the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone offering 3GB RAM and the OLED iPhones offering 4GB RAM.

We have absolutely no idea what Apple is planning to name its next-generation iPhones given the current iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X naming scheme. Most of the possibilities sound a little off, such as "iPhone Xs" or "iPhone X Plus" or "iPhone 9" or "iPhone XI." The naming of the 2018 iPhone lineup is perhaps the biggest mystery, given the myriad rumors and part leaks we've seen so far.

iphonexiphonexplus2018-800x450.jpg
iPhone X with 6.5-inch iPhone dummy model​

Pricing for the 2018 iPhones could start somewhere right around $600 to $700 for the entry-level 6.1-inch LCD model, based on rumors, while the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone could cost between $800 and $900, and the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone could cost between $1,000 and $1,100.

For a complete rundown on all of the rumors we've heard about the 2018 iPhone lineup, make sure to check out our 2018 iPhone roundup.

What do you think of the iPhones Apple is planning to introduce this year? Which one will you buy? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With 6.1-Inch and 6.5-Inch 2018 iPhone Dummy Models

Reactions: jeremiah256

oddiecz

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010
If we could measure the thickness of these phones at the camera bump, we could get some clues about this year's cameras. Apple likes to have all the phones in a given year have the same main camera, so last year the main camera was limited by the thickness of the iPhone 8. If all three of this year's phones are thicker than the iPhone 8, it would be possible for them to have a larger sensor/aperture :)

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleFan910

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I wonder what processor and memory config Apple is going to use for the 6.1" iPhone if there's that much of a price difference...

Reactions: BigDO

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I just hope Apple doesn't go back to reserving a new feature for the larger, plus-sized flagship model. The iPhone X is already bigger than I'd like it to be so there's no way I'm going to a 6.5" phone even if there's a new shiny feature on it.

If anything, I'd love to see a 5" version that has all the new features as the largest flagship.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I wonder what processor and memory config Apple is going to use for the 6.1" iPhone if there's that much of a price difference...

A12 + 3GB

Much of the difference in price comes from the LCD, single-lens camera, and aluminum mid-frame.

dennyc69

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2014
New Albany, Indiana
I'm getting to the point where the leaks and rumors and dummy units for the next iPhone are actually starting to get boring. It's almost always the same types of information that comes out every year, with very little capturing my interest. It's not breaking news anymore to report on the stuff, we only have to look at last years news and input the new model information and produce a news story.
The person or people who made those units are patting themselves on the back, spending money to make them and get recognition for something that in September (after the announcement) becomes pointless and a paperweight. You don't have any prize to show to anyone because the new phones are out.

It's time that this site and others find a better way of delivering and reporting the news on Apple, because they have become the "not paid for" marketing strategies that helps sells, iPhones, iPad and Macs and assist in helping someone decide if they want to buy it or not.Be picky about the news you put out MacRumors, someone else has already done the marketing you're doing now on their website too.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Once I saw the size of the X plus is comparable to the 8 plus, that made my decision there. I’m going with the 6.5 inch phone. That is basically what I was hoping the X phone would have been this year. A plus size phone, with an edge to edge display.

-C-

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2010
The person or people who made those units are patting themselves on the back, spending money to make them and get recognition for something that in September (after the announcement) becomes pointless and a paperweight. You don't have any prize to show to anyone because the new phones are out.

People are interested and I imagine those dummy units are floating around anyway so people in the industry can see their products with a mock-up. In that world being first is money.

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
It's time that this site and others find a better way of delivering and reporting the news on Apple, because they have become the "not paid for" marketing strategies that helps sells, iPhones, iPad and Macs and assist in helping someone decide if they want to buy it or not.Be picky about the news you put out MacRumors, someone else has already done the marketing you're doing now on their website too.

Sounds like you are looking for a consumer Mac buyers guide website of sorts? I just come here for the gossip and laugh at folks wishing for a new iPhone SE or some magic dust to improve their Apple Watch Series 1 performance.

I'm still waiting on a new Mac Mini so laugh all you want at me. I also still have an iPhone 6S Plus because I'm tired of the same phone factor that has been released after. Give me a foldable phone or something radically different than these slim soap bar designs!

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Pricing for the 2018 iPhones could start somewhere right around $600 to $700 for the entry-level 6.1-inch LCD model, based on rumors, while the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone could cost between $800 and $900, and the 6.5-inch OLED iPhone could cost between $1,000 and $1,100.
Since when is the 6.5” estimated at $1,000-1,100? Many previous articles have said between $900-1,000.

It was a $100 difference between X and X Plus; now it’s $200? Is that based on an actual rumor?

Reactions: Eagle1337

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I feel Apple is disconnected. I don't know why you have to get the larger screen to enjoy all the extras. If there was two phones with one at 5.8 inches and another at 6.5 inches with the same features and same price, I would pick the smaller phone. Apple would still receive their revenue and I would get the phone I wanted.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
Is there a BIG new feature with any of the upcoming Sept 2018 iPhones ?

Anybody ???

I don't know the answer to that question.

Best I know, AAPL is aware that removing the Hardware Home Button (w/ the original iPhone X) had a serious negative consequence for Power Users, & as a result, some of the more-expensive Sept 2018 iPhones "may" include 4 GB of DRAM.

ph001bi

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2015
London

Before every new iPhone release, we're often inundated with rumors, part leaks, mockups, and dummy models, giving us a clear picture of what to expect when the new devices come out.

This year is no exception, and we've managed to get our hands on dummy models that are said to resemble the rumored 6.1-inch and 6.5-inch iPhones that are coming in 2018, both of which offer up a look at the sizes and designs we can expect from the 2018 iPhone lineup.

Apple's 2018 iPhone lineup, like the 2017 lineup, will include three phones, but the lineup's composition is unlike anything we've seen before. Apple is planning to introduce a 5.8-inch OLED iPhone that's a follow up to the iPhone X, a 6.5-inch OLED iPhone that can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus," and a 6.1-inch LCD iPhone that's going to have a much lower price tag than the two OLED iPhones.

We don't have a dummy model of the 5.8-inch OLED iPhone to go along with dummy models of the upcoming 6.1 and 6.5-inch iPhones, because it's going to look identical to the existing iPhone X, so we've used a real iPhone X to compare to the two dummy models.

2018iphonelineupdummy-800x518.jpg

iPhone X (left), 6.1-inch iPhone dummy (center), 6.5-inch iPhone dummy (right)
All three of the 2018 iPhones feature an edge-to-edge display that adopts Face ID and a TrueDepth camera system, marking the official end of Touch ID for new iPhones. To house the TrueDepth camera, there will be a notch on all three iPhones, just as there was on the iPhone X.

The middle-tier 6.1-inch iPhone uses an LCD display instead of an OLED display to keep costs down, which means that the bezels of that device are slightly thicker than the bezels of the 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch iPhones. The 6.1-inch iPhone dummy also features a single-lens camera, in line with rumors that Apple will stick with a single camera for cost purposes.

61inchiphonedummymodel2018-800x571.jpg

6.1-inch iPhone dummy model
A dual-camera setup is expected for both the second-generation 5.8-inch iPhone X model and the 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" model, and we can perhaps expect some camera improvements, as Apple typically introduces new camera features with each iPhone upgrade.

Rumors have also suggested the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will have an aluminum frame rather than the more durable stainless steel frame expected in the two more expensive devices, but other than the frame, the camera, the slightly thicker bezels, and the screen sizes, these devices are expected to be nearly identical.

2018iphonedummymodels-800x557.jpg

6.1-inch and 6.5-inch iPhone dummy models
All will include Apple's next-generation A12 processor, according to rumors, along with faster Intel-made LTE chips. RAM could be a differentiating factor, though, with the 6.1-inch LCD iPhone offering 3GB RAM and the OLED iPhones offering 4GB RAM.

We have absolutely no idea what Apple is planning to name its next-generation iPhones given the current iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X naming scheme. Most of the possibilities sound a little off, such as "iPhone Xs" or "iPhone X Plus" or "iPhone 9" or "iPhone XI." The naming of the 2018 iPhone lineup is perhaps the biggest mystery, given the myriad rumors and part leaks we've seen so far.

iphonexiphonexplus2018-800x450.jpg

iPhone X with 6.5-inch iPhone dummy model

For a complete rundown on all of the rumors we've heard about the 2018 iPhone lineup, make sure to check out our 2018 iPhone roundup.

What do you think of the iPhones Apple is planning to introduce this year? Which one will you buy? Let us know in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With 6.1-Inch and 6.5-Inch 2018 iPhone Dummy Models
Every single year we get those dummy units. It's great and all that but I think we were fine with the first ones back in May or June. Can we get some Mac rumours for a change?
And if there is nothing at least some reheated speculation article or something.
We all know we're going to get three iPhones X with a small one and cheap medium one and a big one. Ok great.
Bring us some Mac rumours please, and Especially Mac mini rumours.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Best I know, AAPL is aware that removing the Hardware Home Button (w/ the original iPhone X) had a serious negative consequence for Power Users, & as a result, some of the more-expensive Sept 2018 iPhones "may" include 4 GB of DRAM.
What does removing the physical home button have to do with RAM?

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
To be honest I have a feeling 2018 is the first year I don’t get the newest iPhone model...

Started off with the 8 Plus last September, had the X for a while and am now using the 8...

I just hope the LCD model gets a RAM upgrade as iOS 11 is awful on the 8... not much better on the 8 Plus nor X but the extra RAM did make a difference.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
A12 + 3GB

Much of the difference in price comes from the LCD, single-lens camera, and aluminum mid-frame.

Well if it indeed uses a single rear camera, and an LCD with a lower res screen, there really isn't a need for the A12 in it. They could also give it last year's Face ID which his rumoured. It would also motivate those who want this year's processor to spend more $$$ on the higher end 5.8/6.5" models making the difference even more apparent. Apple's previous 'budget' iPhones like the iPhone 5c and the iPhone SE used the year previous generation of processor.

Seoras

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
Scotsman in New Zealand
The 6.1, with it's single camera, looks like a bad deal in comparison to the iPhoneX.
Aluminium frame instead of SS? No thanks.
The 2018 iPhone better have something special otherwise the iPhoneX will continue to be their best seller (time for a price drop?)
The notch on those dummy models looks like it has 2 new front facing cameras. No mention of them in the video?
I went from iPhone 6Plus to iPhone X and I wouldn't go back to that larger screen size.
It's just too cumbersome.
It's hand bag ballast. I remember reading a psychology report that suggested women prefer larger screens to men.

Alphazoid

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2014
I'm guessing the 6.1 and 6.5 models will be the only ones to have the current aspect ratio of the 6/7/8 plus models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.