Hands-On With Apple Card

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019.

1. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

Good info for the 6 people who didn't know that already. The draw has little to do with rewards and more to do with security, privacy, and convenience

2. ^^BIGMac macrumors 6502a

^^BIGMac

I admit it. I laughed!

3. nsayer macrumors 6502a

nsayer

So it's "hype," but there is an aspect of it that is different and that is enough for you to want one. I see.

4. Tom t from ny macrumors newbie

Got mine via fedex today. Pure apple design brilliance for experience. Opened box, pulled out white package. Opened it. It says wake your iPhone and put it here. So I did. Just like pairing AirPods, screen pops up and activated the card. And the card, well as others have said: it’s a statement. Metal. Thick. Different. Yes it’s just a credit card. Yes other cards have better rewards programs. But the integration and the security and no international fees are what I like. I spend about 1/3 year international so these are nice.

I know many people are why apple this why apple that. But folks, as someone in the software world let me say this. Getting things simple like this is soooo difficult. We battle internally when adding features to focus on simplicity and struggle. Getting that experience right builds and maintains loyalty.

5. Nimmi23 macrumors newbie

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Mine came via Fedex overnight....and this was the first time in the 35 years I've lived here that Fedex delivered something to the wrong address. I got confirmation from both Fedex and Apple that my card was delivered - went to check - no Fedex envelope anywhere. Called Fedex - they told the driver to go back to wherever he delivered it to and bring it to the correct address. He had dropped it two doors down and was all apologetic "gee I saw the big house numbers and name on the mailbox and my mind must have just blanked" No excuse - it was 9:15 in the morning - not the end of a long day.

7. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

s/he'll come around... :)

8. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

It's not that great for Mac deals since there's always refurbished, B&H deals, etc, but I'll be using mine for iPhone upgrades every year!

Much excited.

9. evancycles, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019

evancycles macrumors newbie

Card is physically cool looking, but isn't all the competitive against other cards. Purchase Protection/ Extend Warranty is a must in my book!
    Seems like extended warranty could compete with AppleCare+. Which is a cashcow for Apple.

I never had issues with understanding my credit card statement activity, most larger banks today have very informative online interfaces with lots of info. I think if you can do basic math, you don't need an app to tell you how much to pay. Rule of thumb, can't afford to pay it off in one month, maybe you shouldn't be making the purchase if not a REAL necessity.

I suspect if you're consistently shopping at Apple it may be a good card. Or if a metal rectangle floats your boat. If I got one, it be just to have a cool looking physical card, I'd only use it for coffee runs, and (maybe Apple Store purchases) however I'd prefer to get 2 additional years of warranty after AppleCare+ then 3% back.

10. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 68000

Darmok N Jalad

I didn’t see anywhere in this review how good the Apple card is at scraping an icy windshield versus regular credit cards.

11. trekkie604 macrumors 68000

trekkie604

As a canadian, I suggest using your plastic cards. Unless, of course, you want to scratch the crud out of your windshield lol.

12. drockross macrumors newbie

drockross

I was declined for having to much debt, and not having enough income, so kinda disappointed about it, oh well.

13. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

According to 9to5Mac iPhone Upgrade program monthly payments are included in the 3% cash back. That alone is worth it. I have another card that gives me 1.5% cash back. I’m going to keep all my other bills with that card and carry it with me for when I need a physical card. For the iPhone Upgrade, Apple Pay and iTunes purchases I’ll use the Apple Card.

I do wish there was a web interface for this so if you didn’t have your phone for any reason you could still access your account. I guess they really want to tie it iPhone users.

14. ipponrg macrumors 68000

The hands on seems to be missing the important detail of what happens if you lose your iPhone, don't have a second Apple device, and need to pay bills.

15. apolloa macrumors G4

A better video, it shows the cool ideas behind the card and app:

16. evancycles macrumors newbie

I am sure you're not alone in that thinking.

17. memo_ macrumors newbie

memo_

I received the invite, but there seems to be a bug. The e-mail says "the email address you provided does not match an Apple ID signed in to iCloud."

It's clearly addressed to my iCloud e-mail address. Bummer.

18. Atreyu25 macrumors 6502

Atreyu25

He's a human, living a human life. You don't know what his battles are, try and keep that in mind when people miss your expectation.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I spend enough on Apple hardware, Apps, and Services to justify the card. I'm not in love with the rewards compared to my Chase Sapphire but if I can Apple Pay groceries it is definitely worth it.

20. jdclifford macrumors 6502

Why the need for annual update? How much does that cost you?

21. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

I’m hoping that Apple will add financing option to this card so I can finally drop Barclays Apple Reward card.

22. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

I upgrade my relatives' iPhones as well. Newer iPhones to myself and parents, grandma just needs a reliable phone, and the oldest model iPhone of 3-4 years gets sold on eBay.

23. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

And if you hit your limit and are unable to pay you get a personal visit from Tim Cook and the Apple police!

24. Tech198 macrumors G5

so this is a teaser video. I don't even use Wallet app as it, so that's gonna be the first problem.

25. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

ilikewhey

i said that last time and the fan boys jumped on me like a pack of dogs lol.