Hands-On With Apple Card

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:32 PM.

1. msp3 macrumors regular

Which makes it better than anything any Canadian issuer has to offer. The credit card market in Canada has been in a terrible state for consumers (but great for the federally-mandated Canadian banking monopoly) made worse by Chase and Citi leaving altogether. Canadian issuers like TD/MBNA, CIBC, Royal Bank, etc. are offering nothing more than tiny sign-up bonuses, weak returns on spending, and garbage redemptions through OTAs. Amex has some semblance of good products, but absolutely pales in comparison to what's offered in the US

2. joshuamj macrumors newbie

When I registered for the notification email after the Keynote, I overlooked the crystal-clear messaging to "register using your Apple ID" email. I received an email today from Apple saying, "you screwed up and used the wrong email - try again." Kicking myself today :sob:

3. Villarrealadrian macrumors member

Love it! I think its the best way to have a card!

4. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Just got the invite. Anyone know offhand how to temporarily remove the lock on the Transunion account? TIA.

5. troyallen56 macrumors newbie

I still didn't get my invitation. I put down my email the first day they announced it. Last week I gave it again. Nothing

6. dmfresco macrumors newbie

dmfresco

I am iOS 13 too. Does anyone have the AppleCard working with iOS 13 Beta?

Here is what the email says "
    You wanted to be one of the first to get Apple Card — a new kind of credit card created by Apple, not a bank. Good news: Here’s your chance to experience Apple Card before everybody else, so you can help us get ready for the public launch. Your early access invitation is waiting, but we need your Apple ID to send it. The email address you provided does not match an Apple ID signed in to iCloud. Just complete a few simple steps so we can send your invitation."

7. Tech198 macrumors G5

"Your card number can even be changed on a semi-regular basis, which means it's more secure than a traditional credit card. That's one of the main benefits of the Apple Card."

That, i like. However, i would like to see how that works with disrupted transactions.. it would have be a pain to note all the numbers you used until its "recorded" somehow.

8. iBeagle macrumors newbie

iBeagle

Activated my card today by placing it near my phone as instructed. Now I'm wondering; does this card have the elements necessary for tap-and-pay? Just wondering...

9. garlicbread24 macrumors member

garlicbread24

it 100% works with the beta.

10. Jgltno macrumors newbie

GS checks Transunion.

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

That happened to me. I signed up for the notification with the iCloud.com address but it wants the me.com address.

Made me request a notification again with me.com address but told me I should have my actual invite within 48 hours.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 13, 2019 at 5:12 PM ---
    I’ve read it does not.

12. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

No, the physical Apple Card does not have an embedded NFC contactless payment chip.

There is a chip in the disposable packaging for the one-time card activation with your iPhone.

13. azentropy macrumors 68020

azentropy

"Apple Card doesn't offer benefits like extended warranties or purchase protection". They completely lost me with that.
    When they were announcing the card I really thought they were going to include AppleCare+ on Apple purchases. As others have pointed out 3% is nothing since Apple rarely discounts and better deals are available elsewhere.

14. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

The RDF appears to be as strong as ever and sucking in new members all the time

15. macsimcon macrumors member

Mediocre interest rates, mediocre rewards, no purchase protection, no warranty extension, no export to Quicken or Mint.

NO thanks.

16. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

While quite a few places take ApplePay, there are still a lot that don’t. Many, many cards beat the Apple Card where this is the case. Actually, they kick it’s butt.
    If you have better luck with ApplePay, good for you. Otherwise...you’re right!

17. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

Only if you have actually configured Apple Cash.

If you do not, the cash back rewards accumulate and are visible in Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay > Payment Cards > Apple Card.

You can apply the accumulated cash back rewards directly your card balance. The process takes just a couple of seconds and the balance due will refresh.

You do not need to configure/apply for Apple Cash.

Note that availability of cash back rewards to be applied directly to the existing card balance is documented in the Apple Card customer agreement provided by Goldman Sachs. It is not a "hidden feature."

18. Erehy Dobon macrumors regular

Erehy Dobon

There is no finance option for the Apple Card. Its benefits are clearly documented in the Apple Card customer agreement provided by Goldman Sachs.

The banking industry is heavily regulated and these customer agreements must state what the card offers. If a specific benefit you are seeking is not listed in the card issuer's document, the benefit is not provided by that entity.

The MasterCard payment network has its own set of benefits, but does not include purchase financing either.

If there was a finance option, you better believe Apple would have talked about it and heavily documented (as well as Goldman Sachs).

Remember, when you use the Apple Card, you don't owe Apple Inc. You owe Goldman Sachs Bank USA, Salt Lake City branch. GS is the creditor, not Apple.

19. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

“Apple will also immediately ship out the physical card....” This is fake news.
    That may have been what happened for some...but, that doesn’t mean this will be the norm. It’s definitely not what “will” happen. Not happening for many.

20. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

all that matters is that you entered your apple id email address.

James

21. dazz87 macrumors 65816

dazz87

Yup truly amazing............First ever Credit Card........

22. lederermc macrumors 6502a

lederermc

mine arrived today. It's too thick and heavy to carry in my wallet. I'll leave in the drawer

23. Exxhara macrumors member

Exxhara

THIS^^^^ I literally tell all my friends that have Samsung that as someone used the phone before, yea Samsung will overwhelm you with all the crazy specs and features but at the end at the day the experience is so subpar. This is what Apple has gotten right for sure. They have found a way to make the experience so seamless between all your devices that you don't have to think about it. Everything is optimized that you don't even miss the crazy specs. Seriously, using iOS is a dream. Kudos to Apple for that feat!

24. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

Yeah - I really don't get the appeal.

People seem excited about a few % back on Apple purchases I guess?

25. Zeke92 macrumors newbie

I got an invitation Monday. I’m pretty excited about the card. I do have one question. I’ve heard that the 3% daily cash reward is given for payments to the iPhone Upgrade Program. Can anyone confirm that this is actually true?