Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's long-awaited BeatsX Earphones became available for purchase this morning, giving Apple customers an alternative to the hard-to-find AirPods.

Priced at $149.95, BeatsX Earphones are wireless like AirPods, but are connected together with a cord that makes them easier to keep track of and better suited to active lifestyles. We managed to get our hands on a set of BeatsX Earphones to give MacRumors readers a closer look at Apple's latest product.

BeatsX Earphones feature the same W1 chip that's built into the AirPods, which makes pairing to any iOS device quick and simple, and because the BeatsX Earphones are connected via a cable, there's a space for an in-line remote for controlling media playback, something missing from the AirPods.

The earphones charge via Lightning, and ship with four interchangeable eartip sizes and secure-fit wingtips to keep them in place. With a full charge, users can expect eight hours of playback from the BeatsX, and a five minute "Fast Fuel" charging feature offers two hours of playback.

BeatsX Earphones are now available from Apple's online store and from many Apple retail stores around the world. Black and White models can be purchased starting today, while the Blue and Gray versions will be available later in the month. Online orders placed today in the United States will be delivered next week.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New BeatsX Earphones

Reactions: Jims73z

julesme

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
W1 chip and affordable. Looks great. I picked up the previous generation PowerBeats wireless on sale for $100 a few months ago and couldn't be happier, so I don't understand the Beats haters...

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
These looks interesting. I like the AirPods but not the look of those sticks sticking out of your ear. The Beats X looks more secure and have the same functionality of the AirPods. That seems like a good deal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
These looks interesting. I like the AirPods but not the look of those sticks sticking out of your ear. The Beats X looks more secure and have the same functionality of the AirPods. That seems like a good deal.

Preferably for running, I will use the Beats-X with the strap. The Airpods I use for weightlifting. Both scenarios work for me.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Preferably for running, I will use the Beats-X with the strap. The Airpods I use for weightlifting. Both scenarios work for me.

Warning: check the Apple site to check if they are sweat resistant. I've had three headsets crap out on me because they weren't. I heard from someone on an Apple discussion group that they weren't.

Reactions: jeabraham

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
can we ever hope to see Apple take a page from Beats' playbook and offer their 'phones in a choice of black? or how about rose & gold as well because it makes facepalming sense?

edit: secondly, can anyone attest to the beats x being good with bass (aka 'natural')? i know they're upping their game over the last few years, but some are still too muddy and tinny for me.

Reactions: clauzzz203

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Warning: check the Apple site to check if they are sweat resistant. I've had three headsets crap out on me because they weren't. I heard from someone on an Apple discussion group that they weren't.

They are not sweat resistant rated. I guess that's the risk I take. I do immediately clean them when I have completed my work out.

Last edited:

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Yes, continue telling us which ones you like best as you telling us your list of purchases helps no one.

There is no liking best. I buy them, try them, if I like them enough I keep them. Everything has concessions, one fills a void that another may have, so on and so forth.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
AirPods won't stay in my ears! I'm interested in these but not sure if they will fit/stay. I have small ear holes.

bbbggg

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2016
They must be making a killing with these. $150? Jesus. My Brainwavz wired earbuds (with mic and controls) were $10 and have excellent audio quality (I know -- hard to believe for $10, but the Wirecutter agrees). And the "pairing" is easy, I just plug them into the audio jack on my iPhone 6s+. Seriously, how the heck are these BeatsX worth $140 more?

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
AirPods won't stay in my ears! I'm interested in these but not sure if they will fit/stay. I have small ear holes.

They come with lots of different tips. I just used the default ones attached and these not only fit snugly but give a very good seal. They are not billed as being noise canceling but they isolate very well.

Airpods don't fit securely, don't isolate any noise, and don't play as loud. Sound quality is subjective but the Beats X goes toe to toe with the Airpods and I don't think many would be disappointed.

Reactions: Sonmi451

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Crap, was surprised when they were available for purchase last night and pickup today but decided to sleep on it...

Now I am full of regret.

inthequantum

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Got those, they are excellent.

I have the Airpods, Bose Soundsport Wireless, Beats X, shall I continue? :)

I am constantly in search of the perfect pair of workout/run/sweat like a pig proof headphones. I had the PowerBeats 3 wireless, but then grabbed the Bose Soundsport Wireless, and there is no going back. Hands down the best sound I have heard. Agree? How do they compare against the Beat X? I was thinking about picking up a pair to compete with them. Bose Soundsport Wireless do not have the best design, but they definitely have the best sound. If you listen to Powerbeats 3 after listening to the Bose, it's laughable. Any thoughts you can share on your experience with the Beats X would be fantastic, sound wise, and would they hold up as serious workout headphones?

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
I am constantly in search of the perfect pair of workout/run/sweat like a pig proof headphones. I had the PowerBeats 3 wireless, but then grabbed the Bose Soundsport Wireless, and there is no going back. Hands down the best sound I have heard. Agree? How do they compare against the Beat X? I was thinking about picking up a pair to compete with them. Bose Soundsport Wireless do not have the best design, but they definitely have the best sound. If you listen to Powerbeats 3 after listening to the Bose, it's laughable. Any thoughts you can share on your experience with the Beats X would be fantastic, sound wise, and would they hold up as serious workout headphones?

I agree with you on sounds, Bose Soundsport have good sound with their iconic bass. I think Apple has done a super good job with the w1 chip. Not sure it's worth upgrading over. I think if they include wireless charging, then I think I would upgrade my Bose Soundsports.

The only complaint I have with the Bose Soundsports, is for conversations. The mic picks up all sorts of sounds. That is really where airpods are amazing, I was super impressed with Apple and how good they are for talking on the phone.

HiFiJP

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
Have these and love them. Anyone figure out how to get the free three months of Apple Music with them? I registered but did not get a code.
Same thing happened to me. After an online Chat with support they told me the registration didn't fully go through. They sent me a link that was just the same registration page. I registered again and it went through no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.