Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today is the official launch day of the new M1 iMac, M1 iPad Pro, and second-generation Apple TV 4K. We picked up one of each, and we're starting with a quick hands-on and overview of the iMac.

Our 24-inch iMac is in orange, which is one of the colors that Apple isn't selling in its stores (stores only have stock of blue, green, silver, and pink models). We have the $1,499 model that comes with an M1 chip, 8-core GPU, 256GB of storage, and 16GB RAM.

m1-imac.jpg

All of Apple's new iMacs come with matching accessories, so we've got an orange Magic Trackpad, an orange Magic Mouse, and an orange keyboard, not to mention the braided orange cable to go along with it.

m1-imac-cord.jpg

Apple also provides unique colored stickers with each model, so we have a set of orange stickers, and when you boot up the iMac, it has a whole orange theme.

m1-imac-sticker.jpg

In person, the new 24-inch iMac is super light thanks to its thin design, and the white bezels aren't too noticeable in day to day usage, but the chin is large and sticks out quite a bit.

m1-imac-display.jpg

The iMac has four USB-C ports, two of which are Thunderbolt, a 3.5mm headphone jack at the side, and a MagSafe cable and port.

m1-imac-back.jpg

We've already heard a lot about the M1 chip so we'll test out the iMac's performance in a later video, but the new machine does have a new 4.5K Retina display, which looks as good as you might expect. Other standout features include a six-speaker system that has Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos support, and the new webcam, which has an improved sensor and advanced image signal processor enabled by the M1 for better camera quality.

Did you get a new M1 iMac? Let us know what you think in the comments.

Article Link: Hands-On With Apple's New Orange M1 iMac

JohnAengus

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2017
Received my green iMac today. I don't understand all the complaints about the bezel and chin. It looks great. The chin is a great place to put sticky notes.

I upgraded from a Late 2015 iMac and recently started editing video. This new iMac is blazing fast with Final Cut!!

I'm in love. All you haters don't hate!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Why didn't they use USB-C to power? Is it 12V or?
According to the tech specs, the power brick is 143W, USB-C/Thunderbolt tops out at 100W. Since the M1 can run off a potato for a month I assume that it's the screen that uses the power.

What would be interesting to know is whether the power cable is carrying some variety of USB to an Ethernet adapter in the brick (leading to the possibility of alternative bricks with more ports) or if the Ethernet is in the computer and the power cable just incorporates an Ethernet patch cable.

The other obvious observation is that the magnetic connector is huge, so this is not the same Magsafe that is rumoured to be returning to the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.