Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yaxchian

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2014
Are the Powerbeats Pro real In-Ear or On-Ear? Really in the Ear, or just on?
Airpods, Powerbeats 2 = On-Ear
BeatsX, ShureSe215BT, BeoPlay E8 = In-Ears

FToWnPlAyA

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Did someone test the water resistant? Can I swim with these? Can I take a shower with these? Can I walk in rain with these?

zerolight

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Glasgow
Did someone test the water resistant? Can I swim with these? Can I take a shower with these? Can I walk in rain with these?

You can walk in the rain with these. I'd probably not do it for too long, but they are rated for that. They are not rated for the shower or swimming. Submerge them an they will die.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
That tells you nothing. Go check out a headphone review at say Innerfidelity or headfonics if you want to see what headphone buyers expect in a review. At the very least you need to discuss how it sounds against other popular sets in the same price point, and you need to describe how it sounds across the frequency range. 2 sentences discussing sound quality doesn't cut it - that is their primary function after all, and unlike over ears you can't try before you buy.
Sure, right. And again, he said that it didn’t say ANYTHING about sound.
[doublepost=1557313373][/doublepost]
Agreed. This needs to have a serviceable battery.
[doublepost=1557284569][/doublepost]

To be fair to the poster, it was added *after* his post. Also, 4 adjectives isn't an audio review.
It is. It’s just not an in-depth one. They were just giving a “first look” hands on. And my comment was simply in response to him saying they didn’t say ANYTHING about the audio.

niv007

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2019
Please report on the quality of the microphone when using the Powerbeats pro while making calls, it's the only thing I need to hear about before placing an order on release date in the UK

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I pre ordered these the minute they went on sale last Friday and they’re still slated to arrive May 14 - May 21st. If that doesn’t change come Friday, I plan to cancel my order and just go pick them up in store. I plan to use these at the gym and for running so I’m excited to get them.

Reactions: tgara

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
I pre ordered these the minute they went on sale last Friday and they’re still slated to arrive May 14 - May 21st. If that doesn’t change come Friday, I plan to cancel my order and just go pick them up in store. I plan to use these at the gym and for running so I’m excited to get them.

Same here. I am an active person and I travel a lot for work. I have been searching for the past few months for a pair of true wireless earbuds. I have found some great ones, but they all had the same issue: audio latency in either Netflix or Youtube which is a deal-breaker as I am on flights frequently. This has led me to believe that I must get headphones made by Apple that are meant to be pair with an iPhone first and foremost. I ordered a pair of AirPods 2 when I pre-ordered my Powerbeats Pro to try them both and return the one that didn't work as well for me. The Airpods arrived on Monday. I took them out, paired them, started doing some jumping jacks. The impact from landing started shifting the left airpod loose. They are heading back to Best Buy for a refund.

I can't wait to have silicone tips I can nudge into my ear WITH a hook.

Reactions: tgara and ChrisTX

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
$250? LOL

My PowerBeats3 broke repeatedly and could not stand up to any sweat. The quality was really a joke. SQ wasn't good either. Unless build quality has radically improved, these aren't even worth $150.

Jaybirds FTW

Last edited:

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
I will definitely try these out. Love the AirPods, but they keep falling out when I’m out running.

Seeing this hands-on video you can really see the difference between a “pure” Apple product and other electronic products.
There’s a strange mix of stereotypical 90’ Sony and clean Apple “attention to detail” - not ugly... just kind of weird and interesting :)

TommyBoy5

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
These look fine, but they do have a wire connecting the 2 earbuds. There are thousands of these types of earbuds available that are cheap. If you don't mind the cable then you're spoilt for choice. If you don't want the cable, then there's only 2-3 other types available and they're pretty poor.

I have Anker SoundSpiritX things that are similar. They're fine. I'd prefer them without the cable.

I agree with your assessment. I had Powerbeats 2 and went through 4 pairs before I finally convinced Apple that they break with sweat and they allowed me to not take the 5th pair and instead trade for some Studio Beats. I run 7 miles a day and sweat a lot in the summer. The Powerbeats would last a couple weeks and then just die.

I bought some cheap Mpow bluetooth earbuds from Amazon. I think they were $15. I've been using them ever since. Sure, they have a cord connecting them but it's not too bothersome. I get 6 months out of them - almost exactly. I always have another brand new pair in the box waiting. It costs be $30 a year to run every day for an hour in them and sweat all I want.

I love my new AirPods but the right one falls out after sweating. I have to constantly adjust it. The left one doesn't budge a mm in 7 miles of running. It's just the way my ears are shaped. When not running I use my AirPods all day and neither budges. So I'm back to the MPOW Cheetahs for my running. No big deal. They pair with my Apple Watch S4 well and they just work.

These are a nice product but for $250 I can get 17 pairs of the Cheetahs which would last me 8 years. And the jury's still out on how these hold up to some serious daily sweating when working out. Battery life is also important over time.

I can't justify these personally.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I agree with your assessment. I had Powerbeats 2 and went through 4 pairs before I finally convinced Apple that they break with sweat and they allowed me to not take the 5th pair and instead trade for some Studio Beats. I run 7 miles a day and sweat a lot in the summer. The Powerbeats would last a couple weeks and then just die.

I bought some cheap Mpow bluetooth earbuds from Amazon. I think they were $15. I've been using them ever since. Sure, they have a cord connecting them but it's not too bothersome. I get 6 months out of them - almost exactly. I always have another brand new pair in the box waiting. It costs be $30 a year to run every day for an hour in them and sweat all I want.

I love my new AirPods but the right one falls out after sweating. I have to constantly adjust it. The left one doesn't budge a mm in 7 miles of running. It's just the way my ears are shaped. When not running I use my AirPods all day and neither budges. So I'm back to the MPOW Cheetahs for my running. No big deal. They pair with my Apple Watch S4 well and they just work.

These are a nice product but for $250 I can get 17 pairs of the Cheetahs which would last me 8 years. And the jury's still out on how these hold up to some serious daily sweating when working out. Battery life is also important over time.

I can't justify these personally.
I am an avid gym goer, runner, and very active person. I preordered these day one without hesitation. I’ll report back on how these hold up to rigorous exercise. I’m replacing a pair of Jaybird X2 which lasted me 4 years with no issues. I lost an ear tip at the gym roughly 2 months ago and hence decided it was time to upgrade. I mainly want to try something different which is why I opted for these over the Jaybird RUN XT. Hopefully I’ll get them on Friday and can put them to the test!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have large ears and workout/run all the time with Airpods, lengthy trail runs even. The only time they fall out is when I forget about them and wipe sweat from my head. I just don't see the hype in paying more money for a larger wireless headphone set, better be some mind-bending sound quality.
I, too, work out and run with AirPods, and they never fall out. But I hear that others have different experiences with them. I think they really work for some people’s ears and not others.

aimbdd

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
East Cost
I have large ears and workout/run all the time with Airpods, lengthy trail runs even. The only time they fall out is when I forget about them and wipe sweat from my head. I just don't see the hype in paying more money for a larger wireless headphone set, better be some mind-bending sound quality.
Good for you? AirPods hurt my ears, and fall out while walking yet alone any kind of exercise. They may work for “most” but that most definitely isn’t everyone. Also yes, the even the old beats with the wire sound magnitudes better, since they seal on your ear.
There’s plenty of reasons they are worth it:
Battery life is almost double
Stays put for more people due to different tips
Stays better when working out for some
More comfortable for some that AirPods don’t fit
Better sound quality
Better water resistance
They may not be worth it to you, but they obviously are to other people, seeing how far out the delivery date is already.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Why is Apple creating brand new products still using the lightning connector instead of USB-C?

Because there are far, far, far more mobile devices (i.e., iPhones) out there already that use Lightning.

Need a real review on how these sound - they are earphones after all. And how do they compare to the best sound true wireless earphones - Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless, Master & Dynamic MW07, and even the lowly Jabra 65t. At this price point, having a better battery life isn't enough, it's all about the sound. I'm buying a pair of earphones this week - it looks like the MTW, but I'd prefer these if they are good.

Sound quality is really subjective, so I would suggest you try them in the store before you buy.

I am an avid gym goer, runner, and very active person. I preordered these day one without hesitation. I’ll report back on how these hold up to rigorous exercise. I’m replacing a pair of Jaybird X2 which lasted me 4 years with no issues. I lost an ear tip at the gym roughly 2 months ago and hence decided it was time to upgrade. I mainly want to try something different which is why I opted for these over the Jaybird RUN XT. Hopefully I’ll get them on Friday and can put them to the test!

I hope yours arrive this week, as I am interested in your impressions as workout earphones particularly during gym/strength training workouts. Mine are scheduled to arrive June 5 or so, so I will continue to use my BeatsX for now.

Reactions: ChrisTX

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Because there are far, far, far more mobile devices (i.e., iPhones) out there already that use Lightning.

Sound quality is really subjective, so I would suggest you try them in the store before you buy.

I hope yours arrive this week, as I am interested in your impressions as workout earphones particularly during gym/strength training workouts. Mine are scheduled to arrive June 5 or so, so I will continue to use my BeatsX for now.
Thanks. As long as the sound is good and they don’t move around too much I’ll be happy. I had an older pair of wired power beats and they held up well even under strenuous use so we’ll see.

Reactions: tgara

hermes16

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2019
Again the labeling a Apple product a "pro" version. What is so "pro" about these earphones besides the price.
What's next the "pro " Apple pencil?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Again the labeling a Apple product a "pro" version. What is so "pro" about these earphones besides the price.
What's next the "pro " Apple pencil?

In the fitness world pro is used quite a bit. Nike pro, etc. not saying it makes sense cause it doesn’t

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
I may have missed this, but do these headphones have the tap feature like airpods? I use the tap to skip tracks and it's super convenient -- although I don't mind physical buttons for adjusting volume.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Saw them on AvgConsumers review they didn't look half bad but I've said before and I'll say it again you're renting these wireless headphones for a couple years or so if you use them frequently enough so is that worth $250 USD?

winglet69

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
London, UK
I bought a pair of these last week for $17 on Amazon:

For the price of these I can't justify $250 for the Beats. I love my Beats Studio but these are just too expensive for workout buds.

Sidebar.

Funny you should show an Mpow product. I own a couple of their BT transmitter/receiver dongles for making any 3mm input into a wireless music input and they're actually pretty great.

As to the buds, no one is going to mistake a $17 product for a $250 one, but your point about value for money is right on.
[doublepost=1557334345][/doublepost]

I think the main reason would be for folks - like myself - who have tried to use AirPods and found the one-size/shape-fits-all to be not comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.