Hands-On With Apple's New Second-Generation AirPods

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 26, 2019.

1. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

Did the wireless charging case get anyone excited? If you know what I mean...

2. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

3. citysnaps macrumors 601

"We think the AirPods 2 seem to sound a bit better, especially at higher volumes."

4. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

If it is a piece of crap product, why are you following and responding to posts on a message boards about them?

5. Ds6778 macrumors 6502a

Ds6778

Did anyone else not get the “Hey Siri” setup when pairing their 2nd gen AirPods?

6. commander.data macrumors 65816

So what happens if you try to connect the AirPods 2 to an "incompatible" Apple device like an iPhone 5c running iOS 10 or a Mac running High Sierra or Sierra? Will it gracefully degrade to function just like AirPods 1, basically slower connection times and no Hey Siri? Will it only get basic generic Bluetooth headphone functionality? Or will it not work at all?

7. Bryan.nua macrumors newbie

Yes I do realise that right earpod seem to drained off faster than the left.

8. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

When they came out with what changes were made for the AirPods 2 (really more like 1.2), I decided to get something else.

Just got my Jabra Elite Active 65t. Did the research and they seem to be about the best true wireless in-ears, and good for working out as well. They sound fantastic!

Passed my AirPods 1 to my daughter. And those got the firmware upgrade today. I don’t think she’ll use them, but didn’t want to toss ‘em.

9. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

Every time Apple releases something there is a certain amount of negative comments. Just the way it is.

10. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

I think we have very different definitions of robbery

11. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

Any way just to buy the buds and use a USB cable to charge them?

12. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

Apple could release a automatic wiping toilet and people would complain

13. willentrekin macrumors regular

willentrekin

I think I'm glad I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and bought the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless earphones, which sound amazing and have fairly good battery life while exhibiting no connection issues or lag.

14. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Nope. The case charges the buds.

15. Aston441 macrumors 65816

What about the other half of the AirPods, the microphone quality testing, which is arguably a more important part of any review of these for people that hope to use them for important phone calls?

Spectrum analysis is very easy to do.

16. Scooz macrumors 6502

Scooz

Just tried to visualize that device in action when I saw your nickname... :D

17. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

Wonder if you could jimmy rig it to work? Maybe leverage duct tape?

18. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Audio quality is objectively measurable with dozens of different measuring devices in dozens of different ways.

Ask any audio engineer.

19. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

It would be like using a slip and slide with no pants on!

Ha

20. Scooz macrumors 6502

Scooz

I am very happy with the gen 1 Airpods but might get a pair of the cordless Powerbeats mentioned earier.

21. jayrull macrumors newbie

In two years time, the value will be significantly drop. Not worth it as an investment gadget, total crap and expensive. I'd rather get Bose products!

22. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

Doesn’t the value of everything drop as time goes by?

23. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

That sound is going to be subjective. Certain people are going to hear better sound, others are going to hear no difference. According to MKBHD, Apple confirmed the sound was the same. Grain of salt, based on your level of trust in his words. Approx. 4:35 into the vid.

24. Scooz macrumors 6502

Scooz

I’m afraid anything with batteries of that size will loose value and functionality much too soon if they don’t come with a recycling/refurbishing program.

25. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Well, my Airpods Gen 2 arrived today and I took them out tonight on a typical dog walk and they did not disappoint!

As I was leaving the house I thought about whether to bring my iPhone X or not since I usually just stream podcasts from my Apple Watch S3. But I took the phone anyway since that is what I had “paired” the new Airpods with earlier and I didn’t want to find that my watch wasn’t on the same page during the walk.

So, I started my podcast from my iPhone and started walking. After a minute or two I thought, “oh, I’ve not started my outdoor walk workout” at which point I was faced with a dilemma. Do I use the touch interface on my Watch to start the workout given that my Airpods are connected to my phone? Or do I use “Hey Siri” on the Airpods but then start the workout on my phone and miss out on heart rate data?

Well, I just did the obvious thing and said, “Hey Siri, start outdoor walk” and to my delight, she replied, “Starting workout on your Apple Watch” or words to that effect!

Now, I’m a software engineer with 25 years experience and currently I’m contracting for a client developing a voice assistant product for the hospitality sector and I have to say this blew me away! The level of sophistication required to have two independent Airpod devices plus an iPhone and Apple Watch all work together with the iPhone delivering podcast audio to the Airpods while they listen for “Hey Siri” and then somehow my Watch being told to start a workout and then seamlessly carrying on my podcast from my iPhone is just mind blowing!

Anyone who has worked with Bluetooth on a technical level will appreciate the Airpods far more than is rational. I am one of those people and I can tell you this is not far short of witchcraft!